Rivalries, Late Starts, & Game Days - Attendance

Mr Dee

The offer of free land on University land is compelling. Not a new concept. Free land to Eastern Europeans is how Western Canada was developed. 

Coughing up 50 mil in lieu of fed money, and coughing up millions for any other location would make anyone think twice. 

The politics and funding of the construction was a lot of work. Creative even. Glad the city pulled it off. 

Location is what it is. The building is gorgeous. Inevitably we grow into the location. 

7 hours ago, nate007 said:

You guys gotta remember that Brandon was one of the most vocal opponents around here last fall when it came to opening Portage and Main to pedestrians because he didn't want to spend an extra couple of minutes per day on his commute, so of course driving an extra ten or fifteen minutes to the south end is gonna grind his gears. 😉 😁

/ducks

Well considering a tonne of people complain about the location and the attendance has dropped...  yes it must be only me with this opinion. 

7 hours ago, Booch said:

the stadium location is a dumb reason in any context..it was an inconvenient location for me before...and thousands of others in area of city where I live...but we all went....so now if it's a matter of being inconvenient for the St James/Charleswood/polo Park area crowd, and they choose to not go anymore...then they were never true fans.

A more centralized location compared to a location that only benefits one part of the town.  Yes location is an important issue.  

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I honestly dont get this argument anymore.

I think people forget that Polo was pack a lunch time to get out.

The new stadium takes 20 mins tops and costs 5 bucks to park. We we so spoiled for too long , it actually irritates me.

FYI trying parking around US Bank it us about $40 USD

I live in the North and it takes 45 minutes using park and ride in an uncomfortable school bus.  

Compared to the old location which was 20 minutes and I could drive in comfort and then be able to either go home or anywhere in town in a breeze without a traffic jam.   Huge difference.    It's not my opinion it's fact.   

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

The city buses are also solid

I've been stuck nearly every time using a school bus.  I'm not a large guy by any means but it's extremely uncomfortable.  I used to go with my dad but he's sick now and no way could he travel in one of those buses.  The parking price isn't the issue it's the massive line ups and extremely slow traffic getting in and out.   

Had they put it say somewhere like St Boniface it would of been gold because anyone in town could get in and out without having to wait forever to get to the game.    

Anyone who says location isn't an issue is only fooling themselves.   

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

The offer of free land on University land is compelling. Not a new concept. Free land to Eastern Europeans is how Western Canada was developed. 

Coughing up 50 mil in lieu of fed money, and coughing up millions for any other location would make anyone think twice. 

The politics and funding of the construction was a lot of work. Creative even. Glad the city pulled it off. 

Location is what it is. The building is gorgeous. Inevitably we grow into the location. 

The most intelligent thing to ever come out of Rod Black's mouth 

First time we went, we parked at BP's and it was perfect. Little walk in. Second time, we went to Stone Angel and parked there, had a bunch of pints and pizza and again a lovely little walk in. There's so many options. I love the stadium in the south and most of the time I'm coming from Transcona. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've been stuck nearly every time using a school bus.  I'm not a large guy by any means but it's extremely uncomfortable.  I used to go with my dad but he's sick now and no way could he travel in one of those buses.  The parking price isn't the issue it's the massive line ups and extremely slow traffic getting in and out.   

Had they put it say somewhere like St Boniface it would of been gold because anyone in town could get in and out without having to wait forever to get to the game.    

Anyone who says location isn't an issue is only fooling themselves.   

It takes less than 10 minutes to get out of the gold lots on University Crescent. Coming from Steinbach takes between 50-60 to get to or from game. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I would simply drive to a more convenient park and ride..

On a good day with no traffic it still takes 30 - 35 minutes to drive straight to the university.   

At that point I'd either have to park inside and pay the few dollars but wait forever to get in and out ,  or I can park off Pembina and do the walk.  For myself it's easy but my dad is handicap now so it's not an option for him unless I get him a wheel chair.  

At Polo I could either pay to park close or park at the mall and walk 5 minutes and then immediately drive home with barely any wait.   

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I live in the North and it takes 45 minutes using park and ride in an uncomfortable school bus.  

Compared to the old location which was 20 minutes and I could drive in comfort and then be able to either go home or anywhere in town in a breeze without a traffic jam.   Huge difference.    It's not my opinion it's fact.   

What might be a fact for you, isn't for others.  I'm in & out of the new stadium about 20 minutes faster than the old one.  No traffic jams for me at all.  Location is not an issue.

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Well considering a tonne of people complain about the location and the attendance has dropped...  yes it must be only me with this opinion. 

Have you seen the attendance in Calgary tonight? I doubt if 15,000 are in the seats tonight. McMahon Stadium has C Train & bus service right to it. One of the easiest places in the city to get to. And a shitty crowd.

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

What might be a fact for you, isn't for others.  I'm in & out of the new stadium about 20 minutes faster than the old one.  No traffic jams for me at all.  Location is not an issue.

Well my dad no longer wants to go to games because of inconvenience and I have had several friends not want to go from my area because they just don't want to bother with the traffic.... it definitely is an issue.     It's not the only issue but it definitely is one of the factors for lower attendances.     I'm looking at this from a casual fan perspective not a die hard who will go no matter what.  

The club needs the casuals to fill the seats.  It's similar to a previous debate on the site about playing the season so late.   If the season ended earlier the attendances would be higher,   casual fans do not want to sit in the freezing cold.    The numbers don't lie.  

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Have you seen the attendance in Calgary tonight? I doubt if 15,000 are in the seats tonight. McMahon Stadium has C Train & bus service right to it. One of the easiest places in the city to get to. And a shitty crowd.

I'm only speaking for Winnipeg fans,   I can't speak for any other team.     

Winnipeggers are notoriously cheap and sadly lazy.   However what might work for the club is offering some kind of free item for going to the game....  Peggers can't ever avoid something that is free.   I've once seen at a burger king for free whopper day had a line up of at least 50 people out the door  waiting an hour just to get a free 5 dollar burger.   I've also seen people drive across the town to wait in line for 2 hours just to get a free miniature lego toy. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

well if you consider riding a packed C-Train easy... that **** makes me want to put a bullet in my head. 

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

What people who ***** & complain about how far they have to come now to a game at IG Field  than at Canad Inns forget is how far others had to come to watch a game at Polo Park for nearly 60 years.  And WE didn't whine, *****, complain about it or stay home. I grew up in Riverview & it was an hour by car with traffic & 90 minutes by bus. It was what it was & we just sucked it up & went to the games.

This on going narrative about taking long to get out of IGF is for sure an issue, but it is a false narrative.  

They really botched things the first couple of years at IGF and now can’t shake this perception.  

Getting out of IGF is now faster for us then it ever was getting out of Polo.  

Polo wasn’t perfect either.   Can’t expect traffic to be no line ups anywhere 25k people are leaving at the same time. 

At most it is 10 minutes for us to get out of the U of M area once we get to our car.  Often less. 

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I find that most people who complain about the stadium and the location are the people who like to **** on the Bombers for any reason. Generally not fans of the team. 

I don't **** on the Bombers for any reason.   It's not an ideal location for many people and I believe this is one of the reasons for why the attendance is going down.  

The team is playing fantastic ball, the weather has been great,   the stadium itself is beautiful,   the game day atmosphere is great....  so what reasons do you have on why the struggles with the attendance in comparison to the old stadium?  

31 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't **** on the Bombers for any reason.   It's not an ideal location for many people and I believe this is one of the reasons for why the attendance is going down.  

The team is playing fantastic ball, the weather has been great,   the stadium itself is beautiful,   the game day atmosphere is great....  so what reasons do you have on why the struggles with the attendance in comparison to the old stadium?  

Ticket & concession prices. No local blackouts.