Rivalries, Late Starts, & Game Days - Attendance

Mr Dee

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

What do you do for live sports? 

Streaming. CFL, NFL, NHL, NBA, WJHC, etc. You can get a stream for all of it as long as you have a decent Internet connection.

You can also do your home phones with the Internet. I bought a little VOIP box ($24) and a phone number for $5. I use a service called voip.ms and only pay for LD and only as I use it. Otherwise it's basically free.

I also built an omni-directional TV antenna and mounted it in my attic, and tied it in to the cable outlet jacks in the house. Being in the GTA I get dozens of HD channels over the airways for free. If you're in the Peg I am sure you'll get plenty too.

I went from over $400 a month with Rogers to about $190 a month for a high speed Internet connection that gives me my Internet, home phone, and two cell phones with Koodo that have 6G limits. I'm quite happy with the arrangement.

24 minutes ago, J5V said:

Streaming. CFL, NFL, NHL, NBA, WJHC, etc. You can get a stream for all of it as long as you have a decent Internet connection.

You can also do your home phones with the Internet. I bought a little VOIP box ($24) and a phone number for $5. I use a service called voip.ms and only pay for LD and only as I use it. Otherwise it's basically free.

I also built an omni-directional TV antenna and mounted it in my attic, and tied it in to the cable outlet jacks in the house. Being in the GTA I get dozens of HD channels over the airways for free. If you're in the Peg I am sure you'll get plenty too.

I went from over $400 a month with Rogers to about $190 a month for a high speed Internet connection that gives me my Internet, home phone, and two cell phones with Koodo that have 6G limits. I'm quite happy with the arrangement.

$400 bucks is one whopper of bill! Quite the reduction in costs. 

Have watched the HD Channel’s via antenna recently in AZ. Impressive reception. 

I have an additional internet phone number from an AZ area code for free, but receive callers getting the wrong number that only speak Spanish. Presumably trying to contact previous user. Not reliable enough to cut out the Shaw phone. 

Thanks for the updates and good for you saving the bucks.

More food for research. 

13 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

$400 bucks is one whopper of bill! Quite the reduction in costs. 

Have watched the HD Channel’s via antenna recently in AZ. Impressive reception. 

I have an additional internet phone number from an AZ area code for free, but receive callers getting the wrong number that only speak Spanish. Presumably trying to contact previous user. Not reliable enough to cut out the Shaw phone. 

Thanks for the updates and good for you saving the bucks.

More food for research. 

The Rogers bill wasn't always $400 but it crept up bit by bit year by year. You start buying this package and that package and it climbs. Plus the home phone and two cell phones. Not hard to hit $400 at all. The thing that really got me though was all those channels and nothing I wanted to see most times. Just seemed like a big waste.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

W0AIH.jpg

"Great reception up here, nags way down there, and best of all it's 100% free!"

https://qrznow.com/well-known-ham-radio-operator-dies-in-fall-from-tower/

My Internet's $40 a month for 75M. I've got an antenna to get local channels. I stream and use IPTV for another $15-$20 a month which gives me my sports. Gave up my home phone 15 or 20 years ago. Last year I bought TSN streaming, but it wasn't great and I thought it was too expensive for what it gives me. (They also charged me twice for 1 month and refused to refund or add a month at the end.)

Basically I went from $140ish to $60ish a month.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

My Internet's $40 a month for 75M. I've got an antenna to get local channels. I stream and use IPTV for another $15-$20 a month which gives me my sports. Gave up my home phone 15 or 20 years ago. Last year I bought TSN streaming, but it wasn't great and I thought it was too expensive for what it gives me. (They also charged me twice for 1 month and refused to refund or add a month at the end.)

Basically I went from $140ish to $60ish a month.

I better get on this cord cutting bandwagon. 

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Brutal. Where did you hear that? 😪

I have a friend there. The problem is that the ST ticket base keeps going down every year and it is at its lowest point now since the move. So even when the team is playing well, it's hard to get the numbers up. CFL attendance in general keeps going down and I'm not sure what's behind that. If course, things could change with a big ticket push over today and tomorrow to get us into the 24-25k range but the trend isn't looking great right now. It's sad because this team deserves a big crowd.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I have a friend there. The problem is that the ST ticket base keeps going down every year and it is at its lowest point now since the move. So even when the team is playing well, it's hard to get the numbers up. CFL attendance in general keeps going down and I'm not sure what's behind that. If course, things could change with a big ticket push over today and tomorrow to get us into the 24-25k range but the trend isn't looking great right now. It's sad because this team deserves a big crowd.

This city is maxed out for sports, Edmonton, BC, Sask, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal,   and Calgary don't have an AHL and baseball team taking away fan's time and money. 

Combine that with it being summer and the benefits of watching at home (I think we should go back to blackouts) and that hurts.The team also needs to reevaluate its pricing. 

Hopefully we get around the 25k number because the team does deserve it. I think the Calgary game after will be the start of bigger crowds 

Edited by Geebrr

8 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

The tickets for the corners in the lower bowl are way too high. Section 111 & 104 on the East side are probably close to 90% unsold for this game. These tickets obviously cost more than people are willing to pay.

Yup. 

It's cost. Everything is so expensive that people have to cut out the luxuries. i know several people at work who gave up their Jets and Bombers tickets over the last two years. Plus the Jets playoffs have absolutely taken away the Bombers Season tickets for some for sure. No money means watch at home. No TV for the cable cutters means find something else to do and lose interest. 

Edited by Firekid

49 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Yup. 

Same scenario across the entire league. Here in Calgary game day prices are so high the walk up crowd doesn't exist anymore.  Then add in high concession prices & the games are all on tv. People stay home.  The CFL is for the most part sticking its head in the sand & ignoring the issues.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Yeah the CFL needs to adjust the prices in my opinion. Costs have gone up and up but the entertainment value has remained static. Make it a more accessible experience for families and cheapskates if you ask me.

I agree. Though I dont think it's catering to cheapskates. There are loads of entertainment options now, compared to years ago. And less expendable money going around. More and more people just cant afford to go. I've been saying it for years, CFL needs to start coming down in price or the attendance will suffer.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I agree. Though I dont think it's catering to cheapskates. There are loads of entertainment options now, compared to years ago. And less expendable money going around. More and more people just cant afford to go. I've been saying it for years, CFL needs to start coming down in price or the attendance will suffer.

So have I. Way too expensive. It's great entertainment but still.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the CFL needs to adjust the prices in my opinion. Costs have gone up and up but the entertainment value has remained static. Make it a more accessible experience for families and cheapskates if you ask me.

Prices have been increasing across the board on everything, name one item that hasn't seen a substantial price increase over the last 3 years?  In the 70's inflation was talked about on a daily basis, now the media doesn't even mention it.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

This city is maxed out for sports, Edmonton, BC, Sask, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal,   and Calgary don't have an AHL and baseball team taking away fan's time and money. 

I highly doubt Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal and Calgary have less sporting options than Winnipeg...

58 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I highly doubt Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal and Calgary have less sporting options than Winnipeg...

Winnipeg:

Jets-Bombers-Moose-Goldeyes-Valour FC-Winnipeg Ice

Calgary:

Flames-Stampeders-Hitmen-Soccer-Lacrosse(?)

Edmonton:

Oilers-Eskimos-Soccer-Lacrosse(?)-Oil Kings

What am I missing? Seeing as you "highly doubt" my secret list of  leagues.

Edited by Geebrr

Calgary and Edmonton used to have minor league baseball stuff but pretty sure that's over with. 

Neither Calgary or Edmonton have ahl teams alongside nhl and whl teams. That seems the biggest difference. Calgary has the roughnecks lacrosse team and some people go to that, but it's not the kind of draw ahl could be in my opinion.