Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

5 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Now is the time to do it though, because if you give Streveler 4-5 games and it isn't working, you still have 1/3 of the season left.  And if it does... well, who's going to complain about that!?

So you basically treat it like Doug Berry did with Kevin Glenn in 2008? How'd that work out for the team in both the short and long term?

8 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Now is the time to do it though, because if you give Streveler 4-5 games and it isn't working, you still have 1/3 of the season left.  And if it does... well, who's going to complain about that!?

In my opinion, change happens when the squad is doing shitty. I’d say the coaches are working with what they have. So, I’d complain if they make a qb change, and it doesn’t work. Imagine the pain losing 5 games with the back up in, 5-8 record. Tough to recover from that. 

in all fairness, and as much as I hate to admit this... Nichols isn't a lost cause, not yet anyway, IF Lapo were to go back to game planning like he did in games 3-5... first and foremost, they weren't so predictable with the play calling and use of personnel, that helps... but the bigger thing for me was the routes that Lapo had the receivers running... they were running routes at all levels which created space for the receivers and much larger throwing windows, something that Nichols needs...

Nichols was uncharacteristically throwing balls to a spot and had enough space in single coverage for the receiver to make the necessary adjustment to make the play.  In one of those games he had 6 receivers, not counting Harris, that all had between 4 to 6 targets apiece... Nichols didn't throw great but had a few nice balls mixed in with acceptable ones... the big thing though is that the offense was balanced between the pass and the run, about a 2 to 1 ration in yards...

Nichols seems to be a momentum QB, meaning if things start out good, they tend to stay good and can get better... if they start out bad... well...  plus, these play, at least some of them, didn't take any longer to execute than those short ones... if you recall that Demski TD down the middle, Nichols was decisive at the snap of the ball, dropped back 5 steps, I believe and let it rip... Demski was still covered at the time he threw it and the ball was almost there before he turned to look for it, made the adjustment, and scored...

Lapo actually had some running plays with different formations and lots of motion... receivers actually running routes that cleared space for other to gain favorable match ups, space, and larger throwing windows... it actually worked and kept the defense off balance... then just like that, it was all gone and we returned to the dink and dunk...

I'm afraid though, if Lapo doesn't do something to pick Nichols up he will just keep getting worse... because he gets to be a bit of a head case when things start to go bad... he'll never be an elite QB but he could very well turn himself into an above average QB that is very serviceable under the right conditions... 

23 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

In my opinion, change happens when the squad is doing shitty. I’d say the coaches are working with what they have. So, I’d complain if they make a qb change, and it doesn’t work. Imagine the pain losing 5 games with the back up in, 5-8 record. Tough to recover from that. 

I agree… it would be one thing if we were 2-5, but, we still have a chance of winning the West... plus, they haven't brought Streveler along far enough yet... the packages they have given him when he does play don't translate to what he would need to do as QB1... I love Streveler, but I have to admit, it's still a little early to pull Nichols... but they need to get a different game plan for Nichols, something similar to what we saw in games 3-5... otherwise, whether its Nichols or Streveler it won't much matter...

55 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So you basically treat it like Doug Berry did with Kevin Glenn in 2008? How'd that work out for the team in both the short and long term?

Please elaborate.

13 minutes ago, J5V said:

Please elaborate.

Glenn was having a ho hum season and Dinwiddie was the new hotness at backup qb, Berry gave Dinwiddie some starts and it was awful and then went back to Glenn and it was still awful cause your qbs are being treated at the scapegoats and they're afraid of making a mistake. Long term it got Berry fired and we got the Mike Kelly shitshow in response. 

This whole idea that you can just yo-yo your qbs without impacting their game and that the new guy will fix everything just leads to teams imploding. Yes you can get Streveler some more time in blow out situations or as a change up if the offense is bogged down, but you don't yank NIchols just to see if the new guy can do it. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Glenn was having a ho hum season and Dinwiddie was the new hotness at backup qb, Berry gave Dinwiddie some starts and it was awful and then went back to Glenn and it was still awful cause your qbs are being treated at the scapegoats and they're afraid of making a mistake. Long term it got Berry fired and we got the Mike Kelly shitshow in response. 

This whole idea that you can just yo-yo your qbs without impacting their game and that the new guy will fix everything just leads to teams imploding. Yes you can get Streveler some more time in blow out situations or as a change up if the offense is bogged down, but you don't yank NIchols just to see if the new guy can do it. 

OK... but.  This coaching staff has shown that they won't do either.  Streveler never went in when games were well in hand, and they've always seemed to stick by Nichols even when he's getting nothing done and clearly struggling.  So, it would seem that you just gotta run with 1 guy.  Why they've gone away from mixing in Streveler more often, when they had so much success with it last season is confusing.  He seems to only come in now for dive plays to plunge for a first down.  Hopefully tomorrow they mix him in and run some play-action plays where he actually gets the throw the ball.   I think they need the change of look offence to keep the opposing D on their toes!

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This whole idea that you can just yo-yo your qbs without impacting their game and that the new guy will fix everything just leads to teams imploding. Yes you can get Streveler some more time in blow out situations or as a change up if the offense is bogged down, but you don't yank NIcscrewed hols just to see if the new guy can do it. 

I figured this is what you were referring to. Isn't it true that Berry was screwed either way? I give him credit for having the cajones to make a switch since Glenn wasn't getting it done. How else does he find out if the new guy can do it? If Dinwiddie is lights-out Berry looks like a genius. In stead, Berry had 2 QBs that couldn't get it done. That's Taman's fault. As for Kelly, that isn't Berry's fault either. 

I always liked Doug Berry. He was a man's man and everything I was hoping O'Shea, and before him, Lapo would be. Instead we got guys afraid to do what may need to be done. 

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

I figured this is what you were referring to. Isn't it true that Berry was screwed either way? I give him credit for having the cajones to make a switch since Glenn wasn't getting it done. How else does he find out if the new guy can do it? If Dinwiddie is lights-out Berry looks like a genius. In stead, Berry had 2 QBs that couldn't get it done. That's Taman's fault. As for Kelly, that isn't Berry's fault either. 

I always liked Doug Berry. He was a man's man and everything I was hoping O'Shea, and before him, Lapo would be. Instead we got guys afraid to do what may need to be done. 

Mike Kelly was Lyle Bauer's doing, and I think he was coming in with nothing short of a Grey Cup win.

And I totally agree.... you aren't going to know what you have unless you take a chance.  Worked for the Stamps with Bo Levi, when they had Drew Tate projected to be starter.  And Tate had proven he was just as capable as say someone like Nichols.  And if you want to say "injury prone", Nichols has had his share of injuries as well!

7 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

We're spending so much time bitching about Matt Nichols.  It's Wednesday, tomorrows the game and we've hardly discussed the game.  

Sad...very sad. 

I was JUST thinking the same thing.....I honestly think there are people who don't care about the week to week games.....they just want **** to ***** about.

19 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

but no one was open...

Lapo said he called 2 deep plays -- one the protection broke down and the other had two receivers in the area of one DB. At least I think that's what he said, in a way, kinda.

24 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Mike Kelly was Lyle Bauer's doing, and I think he was coming in with nothing short of a Grey Cup win.

And I totally agree.... you aren't going to know what you have unless you take a chance.  Worked for the Stamps with Bo Levi, when they had Drew Tate projected to be starter.  And Tate had proven he was just as capable as say someone like Nichols.  And if you want to say "injury prone", Nichols has had his share of injuries as well!

the coaches know based on practise and their week to week work. If they thought Streveler was ready for more than certain packages you would likely see him more.

So, regarding tomorrow's game, we just lost to the worst team in the league. Now we face arguably it's best. That could explain any trepidation. Assuming we rank somewhere in between what are our chances and should we be looking forward to this game with loads of confidence or should we be somewhat reserved?

1 hour ago, J5V said:

So, regarding tomorrow's game, we just lost to the worst team in the league. Now we face arguably it's best. That could explain any trepidation. Assuming we rank somewhere in between what are our chances and should we be looking forward to this game with loads of confidence or should we be somewhat reserved?

Coming off a dreadful loss to the Argos and catching Calgary on a short week you'd think the Bombers would be at their best for this one...….guess we'll find out.