Lions @ Eskimos

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

In our game with BC we thoroughly outplayed them yet didn't have Chris Matthews. That would be like taking Ellingson away from Harris in this game. The score flattered BC in our game and O'Shea's not the type of coach to run up the score. Can't say the same for Dumbo and the hissy fits he throws on the sidelines. I'll be looking for him to have a meltdown when he has to play a good team like us. 

Where was the running up the score?

7 minutes ago, Esks1975 said:

Where was the running up the score?

I'm saying O'Shea took his foot off the accelerator in the BC game or the score could have been more lopsided. We beat BC just as badly as Edm did. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

BC's OL was beaten up last night and it started on the first play. Jackson needs to go back to OC 101. When a team is blitzing and smacking your QB around, screen, draw, quick hitters. Run the ball outside and inside and stop handing it off deep, cuz that's just another way to let their DL take shots in the back field.

I thought that player safety, especially for QB's, was supposed to be the focus this year. Why did BC have to use both their challenges on obvious roughing penalties? Couldn't the eye in the sky call them if the refs on the field didn't like they did after BC ran out of challenges? BTW: What turns a 15 into a 25 yard penalty?

Edmonton owned the Lions in all facets of the game last night from the 2nd quarter on. BC's only TD came directly from Eskimos penalties. Reilly took more hits than a pinata. I thought he might have been concussed early in the game. Camera showed him breathing very hard on the sidelines well after he got there. Looked like he might lose his cookies to me. Why'd they leave him in at the end of the game?

Gotta say I didn't think Edmonton would do much this year, but their looking very dangerous early in the season.

Were we watching the game together?? Lol I noticed basically all of this. I even mentioned to my wife how horrible a play call the first play of the game was for BC. Likely ridiculously stupid.

I was also confused by bc having to waste both challenges on obvious calls...that were basically identical. Total crap shoot again when it comes to what the eye in the sky does and doesnt do.

And with Reilly, they showed him at the bench after coming right off the field and hes breathing heavy, which is to be expected....but you're right, they went back to him a few minutes/plays later and he was still suckin wind....I thought maybe I was just making something out of nothing...but definitely thought it was odd cause it wasnt like he had a huge run or anything.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Let me get this straight. Because Reilly ran out of time greeting his old teammates, his former mates decided it was better to reach (out) to Reilly another way. They wanted to hug him, and they did...7 times.

Isn’t that thoughtful?

From all reports, Reilly was on good terms with all of his old teammates and I suspect that led to the Esks' D-line taking it easy on him when they had their hands on him. Had it been anyone else behind center for BC, they would have been dismembered.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

mildly concerned that we *only* beat BC by as much as we did, whereas Edm made them look much worse......so Edm is that much better than us...?? I know it doesn't work that way, but that's where my head's at right now. Hope we can spank the Esks anyhow.....

You can't judge teams like that. If the Bombers beat a team by 10 points & another team beats that same team by 15 points it doesn't mean the other team is better. Every game is different.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Yes, we did not lay a beating on BC like Edmonton did last night, but it was the first real game of the year, and our parts were still meshing. The next game against the Esks should tell us a lot about the Bomber O-line and the Esks' D-line. I still hold that the Esks' O-line is highly suspect and vulnerable.

I think the lack of pressure we got from our front four was due to the fact we were respecting the run and Riellys abulity to scramble...  Shmoes said.. **** it we pin our ears back untul they make us respect the ground game.

At least I hope so... otherwise that Edmonton front four is devastating.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Noeller has always had this weird obsession with hat etiquette... I remember when a bomber player one time tweeted about how awful it was to wear a hat to the gym and poor Noeller had an existential crisis. 

I do have to wonder why he and Zontar brought it up just now ... Claybrooks has been doing this for years now and I never heard anyone say anything about it until this thread.

Now ... I will say I do remember a game a couple years ago when Benevides had his hat flipped completely backwards.  I can't lie ... I laughed cuz I thought it looked funny on him.  But I didn't rant too much about it.

And YES ... I would remind Mr. Noeller that Claybrooks is a head coach .... And he is NOT.  Therefore ... He's in no position to judge.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why was Claybrooks rubbing his stomach? I missed that part of the game. To me, a HC rubbing his fat belly & wearing a goofy grin has far more serious implications than wearing his cap a bit sideways.

and then if he is wearing shorts on top of it all...well....I just can't even...

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can't judge teams like that. If the Bombers beat a team by 10 points & another team beats that same team by 15 points it doesn't mean the other team is better. Every game is different.

Bombers could easily have had another 7 points in their last drive if they hadn't gone into victory formation.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Bombers could easily have had another 7 points in their last drive if they hadn't gone into victory formation.

Well Edmonton also went into victory formation at the goal line, so I wouldn't look at that.

But I agree that this obsessing with the margin of victory Edmonton had over BC is a little ridiculous.  It could cut both ways, I mean if we had played Montreal this week and beat them by 21, would that make us 3x better than the Esks?  Nope, that's not the way this game works.

Edmonton saw how we exposed them in the final stretch last week and used it, plus BC had to be a bit psychologically down after losing a home opener.

We matchup very differently against the Esks than the Lions do, and Lapolice is not going to use "Junky" Jairius's playbook.

39 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why was Claybrooks rubbing his stomach? I missed that part of the game. To me, a HC rubbing his fat belly & wearing a goofy grin has far more serious implications than wearing his cap a bit sideways.

Because the d line was eating them up.

I did notice his tongue sticking out a lot in the 2nd half. Looked like a nervous tick.

8 hours ago, J5V said:

He better fix that or I don't see him lasting past the mid point of the season. In fairness, what is he supposed to do? He's not stupid. He can see he's out-manned and doesn't have the players needed to win. There's no magic wand you can wave to make mediocre players great ones. I feel bad for him. Like Chris Jones in Sask, Wally left the cupboard bare. 

P S. It doesn't help that they blew their load on 2 players.

Claybrooks has two options that are better than standing on the sidelines looking apathetic, remain positive and engaged in an attempt to motivate his players or blow his top and scare the living **** out of them.  Either method can work.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne