Your *HATE* goes in here

bluto

On 2021-04-16 at 6:52 AM, Mark F said:

question

why do sports fans hate the leafs, but cheerfor the blue jays, raptors.

raptors, blue jays have nothing to do with me, a westen canadian. 

need some consistency in our hate.

Why do Rider fans hate the Bombers but some love the Jets or Oilers?? No one cares about the Flames. 

It's not necessarily hate but but a bit of cynicism about intentions.

Taylor Hall Exhibit A. In an interview explaining his move to the Bruins he admits that he personally has had a bad season with the Sabres, needs to contribute and be on a team that wins games.

I could see his point if he lit it up with the Sabres but he didn't. He was paid 8 million dollars to be one of the best players on the team but he wasn't so better jump ship to an elite team and profess on how the Bruins all along was his preferred landing spot even before he signed a one year contract with the Sabres.

Roll eyes.

On 2021-04-12 at 8:33 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

So it has taken only 40 games with them as a new division rival, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are fast climbing my hate rankings. Again not really the players themselves, but the incessant media flogging. And beyond the adulation of their all-star team and every new addition as the next MVP (Jack Campbell apparently is a lock for the Vezina with 11 games under his belt this year, and Nick Foligno is THE move of deadline day), the worst thing that I have encountered is that they STILL can’t let go of the 1993 loss to LA. Not a week goes by without some reference to how they got screwed by Kerry Fraser, how Wendel Clark was guaranteed to win that series in 6, how Gretzky got special treatment and should have been suspended, how they were robbed of their divine right to play against the Habs in the Cup that year. I have heard whiny fans in every market lament that one soul crushing loss, but this is about losing a game 6 in a non-finals scenario when they still had another chance to advance even after the loss 28 YEARS AGO. I haven’t heard this much bellyaching from the combined fandoms of Buffalo, who have a much more legit complaint about being screwed of of a Cup by a referee, and Hartford, Quebec City, and Winnipeg, who all lost their actual franchises, much less a game 6. Losing doesn’t make you special, Leaf Nation, it makes you losers. 

Since I added the Leafs to my hate rankings, they have lost 5 in a row. Coincidence? I think not. 

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Playoff hate-o-meter rankings (who my heart is rooting for/against in the 2023 Stanley Cup, #1 being my nirvana and #16 being wrist-slitting territory:

16. Boston - anything and everything about that city’s sports fandom is nauseating, and the national media piles on by making their suffering “special” when they have had more good fortune than any fan base recently. Bonus hate points for Brad Marchand. 

15. Toronto - “average” fans have suffered and I could be happy for them if the team broke through, but the media overload and celebrity fans like Steve Dangle acting like their misery makes them special makes them an easy target to root against. Plus it’s always nice to feel superior to someone and revel in their failure. And the talking heads would be so insufferable to listen to if the team ever won.

14. Edmonton - this is largely a jealousy hate ranking because no team should be gifted “the best player the game has seen in a generation” more than once  plus the media will whine about how he never gets the calls until he hoists the Cup. Major bonus historical hate points for all the times Gretzky broke the Jets’ hearts.

13. Vegas - really torn on this given how many Manitobans play for them, but they are the ultimate “buy a winner” mercenaries in the NHL, and have a tax and location advantage that will always hinder Winnipeg. Can’t be happy for a team that has never felt the sting of adversity and had to scratch their way to the top.

12. Colorado - they just won

11. NY Rangers - exciting team, but the media hype if they had any success would get intolerable almost immediately

10. New Jersey - meh

9. Carolina - double meh

8. LA - playing the Oilers in round 1 gives me a reason to cheer for them 

7. NY Islanders - the forgotten little brother in New York makes them a decent underdog to root for

6. Dallas - good fans and a sneaky great team

5. Tampa Bay - yes they have won tons, but they have won without hotdogging or scandal. But mainly I have a high school buddy who is part of the staff there.

4. Minnesota - it would suck seeing Ryan Reaves win a Cup, and they are a chippy bunch, but these are knowledgeable die hard hockey heartland fans who had their team snatched from them and will never compete with the New Yorks and LAs of the world for star power, and I have always been treated well when visiting Minneapolis by their fans. Winnipeg south.

3. Florida - almost exclusively a Paul Maurice vote here. Only Matt Tkachuk keeps them out of #2.

2. Seattle - ultimate underdogs, they did a less mercenary build than Vegas so they are an inoffensive winner for me.

1. Winnipeg - duh. But I still want to see an upheaval on the team for next year. Even if I was a neutral fan the Jets are an easier team to root for, given the fans’ passion, the reclaiming of a moved franchise, and being constantly overlooked by the media and most NHL players. Underdog stories are popular. Even saw a playoff article today asking “is this the year Toronto or Edmonton breaks the Canadian Cup curse?” Once again Winnipeg is not even an afterthought. 

• 2 weeks later...