Bombers sign Geoff Gray to a 3 year deal

bigg jay

2 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

Sucks to sign during this year though, would have preferred next year to get to 2021 instead of 2020

Still awesome signing! Also gives some depth for the stretch run if required. So who has to be released now that we've added one to our roster?

If he signs next year, he probably just signs a two year deal. He wasn’t going to commit until 2021, that’d be super foolish of him.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I thought Gray played Tackle?  Either way he's not stepping in and replacing Neufeld this season.

Gray could play both guard and tackle and if memory serves he was projected as a tackle, yes.

I just can't see us bumping out our all-star tackles next year when he could slot in an easier position and bump out Neufeld who is the obvious weakest player.

But you're right - this is all speculative and for 2019 anyway. Hardrick could very well leave in FA  

Edited by Dr Zaius

7 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

This deal may have been the reason we didn't make a play before the trade deadline last week.  Gray could be a long time player for us vs. short term solution at receiver. 

Very possible. Picking up SJ Green's 210k contract (for example) may have made this signing impossible. 

Get Bighill signed long term next Walters! 

It's really nice to have a competitive team that isn't being built at the complete expense of the future (Taman's model). We are competing now and still positioning ourselves well for the future (glad we didn't give up any of our picks frivolously at the trade deadline).

1 hour ago, Booch said:

does he even factor in for this year now though?...replace Couture on active if anything?..can't see him supplanting a starter at moment..but if he has really improved since school you never know...at least...huge depth upgrade

Maybe they're dress 7 Olinemen and run the jumbo package more often in the cold weather.

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

And the herd of Bison grows at IGF..

Great signing! Now the problem, where will we find enough grazing for the herd?

I guess one could fell sorry for our western neighbour but Jones would sooner get a dozen DL's instead of good Canadisn OL's. 

Just now, LeBird said:

Great signing! Now the problem, where will we find enough grazing for the herd?

I guess one could fell sorry for our western neighbour but Jones would sooner get a dozen DL's instead of good Canadisn OL's. 

I mean, he did just trade for Philip Blake and has spent two recent high picks on Canadian OL. The guy is a loser and makes many questionable decisions but to say he doesn’t care about Canadian OL is pretty ridiculous. 

I would hope Gray slots in at Neufeld's spot next year, and Neufeld is the 6th man on roster..he's a valuable piece and not even 30 yet next year...and has played all games this year and played very well save for filling in for Hardrick.

I would trade Couture and roll with Spooner and Speller as reserves as more upside and Spooner I think is going to be a good one...and plays mean as well so fits in well with what we have going on. I know for sure we lock up Bryant again...and highly doubt we let Hardrick walk as he loves being here..and team loves him being here..plus he is damn good.

An oline next year with the 6 game day roster guys being Bryant/Hardrick/Goosen/Chungh/Neufeld/Gray with Spooner and Speller in the back pocket and a possible new draft pick in 2019 would be very..very nice and tops in league if you ask me....however it shakes out we seem to be pretty set on the oline for a bit....and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chungh extended before the new year

I'd have to imagine Gray's impact will be minimal this year... but if there's an injury to one of the middle three and the coaching staff determines he's the next best guy (rather than Couture)... then he might get in the game... either way, this is a great signing for depth and the future of the o-line...