Bombers sign Geoff Gray to a 3 year deal

bigg jay

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

This is crazy and I disagree completely. 

What is a bigger hit. Gray stepping in for Chungh (or couture/spooner etc) Or Wilson stepping in for Bighill. It's not an ideal situation on either side. But, I've seen how the defence plays without Bighill, and I've seen how the O plays with 1 new OL.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

What is a bigger hit. Gray stepping in for Chungh (or couture/spooner etc) Or Wilson stepping in for Bighill. It's not an ideal situation on either side. But, I've seen how the defence plays without Bighill, and I've seen how the O plays with 1 new OL.

That’s not the point. Just because we have another potentially great Canadian lineman in Gray now, doesn’t make Chungh any less valuable. For one, I do think Gray projects as a tackle rather than guard and for two, Chungh has close to another decade of effectiveness left in him. I’m not saying we should let Bighill walk, but we would regret losing Chungh more in the long run. 

1 minute ago, blueingreenland said:

And yet some media have wondered if Bighill is going to be our MOP this year...just saying

A guard is never going to get consideration for MOP and while Bighill has been good and even great the last few weeks, I would suggest those who say he should be the Bombers’ MOP over Harris are dreaming. 

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

That’s not the point. Just because we have another potentially great Canadian lineman in Gray now, doesn’t make Chungh any less valuable. For one, I do think Gray projects as a tackle rather than guard and for two, Chungh has close to another decade of effectiveness left in him. I’m not saying we should let Bighill walk, but we would regret losing Chungh more in the long run. 

This club (Specifically Oshea and Walters) doesn't have the luxury of thinking too far down the road. They NEED to win NOW, if not this season within the next 2 or 3 for sure. Bighill has been there and done that. And he is a huge difference maker NOW. Chungh is too, but we likely have another 2 or 3 guys ready to step in if he goes down or is not re-signed. They don't have that luxury with Bighill.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

This club (Specifically Oshea and Walters) doesn't have the luxury of thinking too far down the road. They NEED to win NOW, if not this season within the next 2 or 3 for sure. Bighill has been there and done that. And he is a huge difference maker NOW. Chungh is too, but we likely have another 2 or 3 guys ready to step in if he goes down or is not re-signed. They don't have that luxury with Bighill.

That’s the king of thinking that breeds franchises like Montreal. 

11 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

That’s the king of thinking that breeds franchises like Montreal. 

Mtl's issue is not having anyone to replace a QB. WPG already has players in line to replace anyone on the OL with the exception of Bryant. Who replaces Bighill and plays to the same or even near the same level? Keep in mind, they've had 5 years to find someone who could.....In that same time, they found 2 players (maybe 4) who could step in for Chungh and not even hurt the ratio. Nevermind the american players they've found.

Again, this regime doesn't have time to let stars walk, just to sign foundation players that they already have replacements for. Like I said, I'd be on your side had we not just signed Gray. He gives them that flexibility to on the OL. If Gray can Play LT he can play G. That's not an issue. Also I really hope they sign both!

Edited by Bigblue204

Next year you take Dressler's and possibly Opo's and Neufs salary off your books...you add 30k or so to Bighills 185k..throw like 175k at Chungh now most likely as this be his 3rd deal and prob is in the 120-130k range...if that....so you have about 65-75k needed to re-up them...so technically not bringing Dressler back more than covers their bump in pay...Opo could be resigned...and most likely for less I bet if we want him, and Neufeld still has a year left I believe anyway on a rather moderate 140k a year I believe...which is good value for a National O-lineman of his tenure/skill

I see no reason's to not be able to sign who we want to bring back...if they want to be here...I'm not too worried about the free agent period this year and losing key people

And I think alot of the idea of what to do depends how these last few weeks and the playoffs pan out. 

Defense is coming together. Offense is starting to run but can use some more receivers. Special teams is hit and miss. 

Salary cap will always leave us with a few holes, just depends which are more glaring going into next year. 

yeah....you extend Goose and Chungh well before free-agency...and Bighill too if he's willing....first and foremost....I'd be extending Woli even though he has a year left next year with a slight bump and reconfigure...that be the smart move.

Then see where you are at $$ wise and make JSK a contract in the 140-150K range with some incentives built in...keep him here to learn with Biggie...from there re-evaluate your needs...against what you need to keep...and reload

Imo he could supplant neuf in short order at guard. He no doubt has tackle talent. I dont see us getting away from bryant and hardrick at the tackle spots though as long as both are healthy. Id be surprised if we made any changes to the OL between now and the end of the playoffs short of being forced due to injuries. Thats just the nature of our coaching staff. 

Could very easily be the extra OL. Hes super athletic and coming in for TE/heavy packages would be right up his alley. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Or Leggett or Randle ... I’d be surprised if both were on the team next year. 

I’d need to get my head around not having one or both warriors on the team. Now, that you mention it....it’s certainly possible. I’m figuring Weston Dressler may have to pack it in. I’m prepared for that. He takes a heck of a beating.