Game Day Thread- Week Fifteen, GAME 13: Als @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers September 2, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Just now, trueBlue83 said:

twist it whatever you want... I'm pretty sure if he put up numbers like that tonight, he'd be over 300 yards.

I trust you'll be there tonight in your Nichols jersey??

Really, that's what Streveler did in Week 2 against Montreal. 

I want the Bombers to win. You want players to achieve certain marks. 

That is what's really twisted around here. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Really, that's what Streveler did in Week 2 against Montreal. 

I want the Bombers to win. You want players to achieve certain marks. 

That is what's really twisted around here. 

you're the one that seems to be okay with mediocrity at the QB position.  I don't know what it is you're watching, but for a year now, Matt Nichols has been nothing more than a mediocre Quarterback, bordering on bottom tier in this league.  Just getting by beating the bottom 3 teams in the league and saying 'hey, at least we're winning' isn't acceptable anymore.  Because we're not winning the games that count!  in the last calendar year, the Bombers are 9 - 11.   With good QB play, that record would probably be more like 14-6 or better.    The next month is truly going to tell the tale of if Nichols will be around next year, so we really don't need to debate this any further.  Results will speak for themselves.

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Even then I am sure you can find a way to make excuses for it.

I agree 100% with TBURGESS's comments. Winning over Montreal means very little IMHO. Losing to them would mean much more. When and only When the Bombers beat someone like Calgary, Edmonton, heck even Regina now, would mean progress and create some positives IMHO. Winning over Montreal is just a Meh to me. Losing to Montreal would be an interesting scenario IMHO. 

Just now, trueBlue83 said:

you're the one that seems to be okay with mediocrity at the QB position.  I don't know what it is you're watching, but for a year now, Matt Nichols has been nothing more than a mediocre Quarterback, bordering on bottom tier in this league.  Just getting by beating the bottom 3 teams in the league and saying 'hey, at least we're winning' isn't acceptable anymore.  Because we're not winning the games that count!  in the last calendar year, the Bombers are 9 - 11.   With good QB play, that record would probably be more like 14-6 or better.    The next month is truly going to tell the tale of if Nichols will be around next year, so we really don't need to debate this any further.  Results will speak for themselves.

I have said repeatedly that Nichols has been terrible and that I want to see Streveler get more reps. I'm not sure what's wrong with Nichols and why his decision making has gone out the window. Maybe he's injured and maybe he's just trying to press it but it's probably a combination of both. 

That being said, saying that if he doesn't hit this mark, then it's a failure is ridiculous and confirms that you and your ilk are more concerned with stats than wins. You'll do and say anything to further your agenda.

Peace and out. 

No sense talking playoffs until we can see Matt Nichols go an entire game without making a panicked force throw...  its been so uncharacteristic of him 

For me, this game is a pretty big indication whether he's Willy'd or not...  I'd pull him at the first interception.

Again, really hoping for a 1a/1b QB plan tonight

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I have said repeatedly that Nichols has been terrible and that I want to see Streveler get more reps. I'm not sure what's wrong with Nichols and why his decision making has gone out the window. Maybe he's injured and maybe he's just trying to press it but it's probably a combination of both. 

That being said, saying that if he doesn't hit this mark, then it's a failure is ridiculous and confirms that you and your ilk are more concerned with stats than wins. You'll do and say anything to further your agenda.

Peace and out. 

my problem is with the coach that keeps leaning on the fact that Nichols has "won a lot of football games for this club".   I'm sorry, football is a "what have you done for me lately" business, and for him to keep rolling out a QB that isn't getting it done is extremely frustrating.   Seeing Nichols hit the 300 yard mark would be encouraging... something we haven't seen from him all year.   Obviously a W is the most important thing... but a W, if it's the cause of some big defensive plays, special teams and sub-par offensive performance, doesn't give encouraging thoughts as we close out the season.  If we want any shot at turning this thing around, all 3 phases need to firing, and I have zero reason to believe that it's just going to correct itself overnight.  A win against Montreal will calm the masses for this weekend.... but try and do the same thing next weekend in Edmonton.  I'd love to see it, just have no reason to believe it will happen!

2 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

my problem is with the coach that keeps leaning on the fact that Nichols has "won a lot of football games for this club".   I'm sorry, football is a "what have you done for me lately" business, and for him to keep rolling out a QB that isn't getting it done is extremely frustrating.   Seeing Nichols hit the 300 yard mark would be encouraging... something we haven't seen from him all year.   Obviously a W is the most important thing... but a W, if it's the cause of some big defensive plays, special teams and sub-par offensive performance, doesn't give encouraging thoughts as we close out the season.  If we want any shot at turning this thing around, all 3 phases need to firing, and I have zero reason to believe that it's just going to correct itself overnight.  A win against Montreal will calm the masses for this weekend.... but try and do the same thing next weekend in Edmonton.  I'd love to see it, just have no reason to believe it will happen!

I think it's been widely agreed on this board that receivers are not making plays. If they were, things may be a bit different. 

We're not looking at the same Nichols as we were a year ago. He's obviously injured, as indicated by the huge knee brace he's wearing and he's forcing throws, making bad decisions. If his receivers were making plays and catching the ball, his confidence might turn around too. 

We'll see. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think it's been widely agreed on this board that receivers are not making plays. If they were, things may be a bit different. 

We're not looking at the same Nichols as we were a year ago. He's obviously injured, as indicated by the huge knee brace he's wearing and he's forcing throws, making bad decisions. If his receivers were making plays and catching the ball, his confidence might turn around too. 

We'll see. 

I'm not sure what receivers were close to those hideous interceptions in the Banjo Bowl...

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

We'll see. 

I still think a big part of this was the fact that he was so reliant last year on the safety valve of Harris... what other RB in the league had anywhere near 109 receptions.   Teams have taken away the short options.  When you take away half of his repertoire, you force him into making tougher throws.  It's not necessarily that we're not getting the same Nichols as last year, I believe it's that his numbers last year were pretty misleading.   Completion percentage was tops in the league.  But when you're only throwing the ball 5 yards, you should be completing those balls.

Sure would be nice to see a radically different game plan tonight, rather than the same old crap!   And yes, the receivers don't look as engaged... is that from lack of belief in the QB?  who knows... but they certainly need to be playing harder too!

Just now, Floyd said:

I'm not sure what receivers were close to those hideous interceptions in the Banjo Bowl...

That was at his lowest, when he was making poor decisions, forcing plays. That's on Nichols - 100%. 

But what led to his poor decision making, etc. - Was it the receivers inability to make plays? Or, his injuries? Or whatever... 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

That was at his lowest, when he was making poor decisions, forcing plays. That's on Nichols - 100%. 

But what led to his poor decision making, etc. - Was it the receivers inability to make plays? Or, his injuries? Or whatever... 

It might be that he goes with his first read no matter what. When it's the right read, he looks great. When it's not, he looks bad. 

Someone (Mr Dee?) posted that Nichols hasn't had a 300 yard game for the last 14 games in a row. That's a long time for a starting CFL QB.

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

We'll see. 

I think you're right, he's definitely injured. And, he doesn't have a talent level of an Aaron Rodgers who can still be great at 70% physical capacity. This is where the HC has to step up. At what point do you stop letting an injured player go out there and not help the team or himself? At some point you may have to shut him down. Enough with the "he's tough, or wants to play through it" nonsense. If we find out end of season Nichols goes in for ACL or MCL surgery, I'd be super pissed if I were Nichols and my coach let me poop the bed all year playing on a bad peg.

Edited by M.Silverback

1 minute ago, M.Silverback said:

I think you're right, he's definitely injured. And, he doesn't have a talent level of an Aaron Rodgers who can still be great at 70% physical capacity. This is where the HC has to step up. At what point do you stop letting an injured player go out there and not help the team or himself? At some point you may have to shut him down. Enough with the "he's tough, or wants to play through it" nonsense. If we find out end of season Nichols goes in for ACL or MCL surgery, I'd be super pissed if I were Nichols and my coach let me poop the bed all year playing on a bad peg.

Halftime, I guess. 

I do have troubles with running him out there when he's obviously injured (the knee brace) but I'm not sure what the options are? Streveler has looked fine at times but is not ready to start regularly. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

So, if the Nichols goes 22 for 28, throws 3 TDs, and the team wins by 46 points, it will be a failure? 

What bizarre thinking. 

Lol...... you got high hopes eh....  how many two n outs for Nichols before the boo birds come out,  Nichols needs a sustained drive the first time he gets the ball.  Any bad throws in the first series and it could turn into a long night.

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

Halftime, I guess. 

I do have troubles with running him out there when he's obviously injured (the knee brace) but I'm not sure what the options are? Streveler has looked fine at times but is not ready to start regularly. 

Aside from the last game where Lapo was feeding Streveler a high school playbook...  Streveler did look like he was ready to start regularly.  He's never looked 'overwhelmed'... and even coming in cold for Lapo's trick plays - he's performed with TD passes... 

I really think tonight's game would have been the best possible way to introduce Streveler as the starter with Nichols as 1b until his confidence is back.  Streveler had a big game against them last time...  would have been a great way to get his feet wet and his confidence built up for Edmonton.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Aside from the last game where Lapo was feeding Streveler a high school playbook...  Streveler did look like he was ready to start regularly.  He's never looked 'overwhelmed'... and even coming in cold for Lapo's trick plays - he's performed with TD passes... 

I really think tonight's game would have been the best possible way to introduce Streveler as the starter with Nichols as 1b until his confidence is back.  Streveler had a big game against them last time...  would have been a great way to get his feet wet and his confidence built up for Edmonton.

He had that same high school playbook against Hamilton in his last start and the offense was bad that day too. Fact is that our offensive coordinator is handicapping both of our quarterbacks and the receivers are not doing enough to help either (coincidentally lapo also coaches the receivers) so moral of the story? Fire Lapo already and get an offensive coordinator in here who can call a decent game.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

So, if the Nichols goes 22 for 28, throws 3 TDs, and the team wins by 46 points, it will be a failure? 

What bizarre thinking. 

He's right in a way... it won't be considered a 'success' because its 'just' Montreal.

Aside from a defining 'statement' game, Nichols is in a bit of a no-win situation

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He had that same high school playbook against Hamilton in his last start and the offense was bad that day too. Fact is that our offensive coordinator is handicapping both of our quarterbacks and the receivers are not doing enough to help either (coincidentally lapo also coaches the receivers) so moral of the story? Fire Lapo already and get an offensive coordinator in here who can call a decent game.

You do realize a QB is required to execute the plays, right...? Not to mention other players on offense.

I'm not sure what to make of LaPolice's strategy recently but you seem to think the offense's struggles are solely on him. And that couldn't be further from the truth. And this notion he's handicapping the QBs is absurd.

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You do realize a QB is required to execute the plays, right...? Not to mention other players on offense.

I'm not sure what to make of LaPolice's strategy recently but you seem to think the offense's struggles are solely on him. And that couldn't be further from the truth. And this notion he's handicapping the QBs is absurd.

Why is it absurd? You ever watch other teams play and see how much more often they throw intermediate routes? Now watch the Bombers. It's either a short throw or a long bomb. And this is the same as it was when  he was here in 2002. Just works a hell of a lot better with Khari Jones and Milt Stegall. The lapolice offence is too predictable and he gets in his own way with playcalling. For example we stopped running the ball last game because they thought Saskatchewan  was going to focus on that anyway, so he did the defenses job for them when this team does nothing without a strong running game from Harris. Your qb is in a funk and you put it all on his arm and don't even try and use your best player... that's an OC handicapping his QB.