Game Day Thread- Week Eleven, GAME 10: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Calgary Stampeders August 25, 2018

Who'd a thunk that O'Shea would be in the running for the "honour" of being the first HC to be fired this year? The signs have been there all along, but we hoped that it was just rookie glitches, but it appears that when things were getting rough, he just doubled down on stubbornness and blind loyalty.

This is not a slight against Harris but with him as our only option on the ground makes it easy for the D to scheme against him.  He's one dimensional.  he can't run sideline to sideline.  His success is running up the middle into the gut of the D.  He'll never beat you with his speed but bowl you over.  But if he can't get a block or two he's pretty much useless.  We need a tandem with him and a smaller tailback guy with some explosive speed.  

Last year we had a pretty good one two punch with Flanders and him.

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Who'd a thunk that O'Shea would be in the running for the "honour" of being the first HC to be fired this year? The signs have been there all along, but we hoped that it was just rookie glitches, but it appears that when things were getting rough, he just doubled down on stubbornness and blind loyalty.

When hired, I didn't think he was going to be up to it, then last two seasons, I thought ok, maybe, although the playoff loss at season end was disheartening, the team was so listless. Got its butt kicked.

Then I thought they were rolling pretty good this season; but right now, it looks bleak for the Big Blue. A loss to the best team is one thing, getting your ass handed to you two games, one by a team that maybe is not so good, does not indicate a team poised to do good things.

Would any team hire o'shea as head coach after this run? 

Edited by Mark F
punctuation corrected

29 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I actually thought the Bombers could win this game.

Or at least be competitive.

They got massacreed.

I am officially out of Blue Bomber positivity.

They missed earlier opportunities and then had a forth quarter meltdown. The deep shot to Adams should have been a TD. Then Jorden scores a TD despite being surrounded by DBs. 

26 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Only in your head. You can't be stupid enough to believe yourself

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Only in your head. You can't be stupid enough to believe yourself

C'mon Goalie, if he doesn't get this ship turned around he may go down with it. Season 4 1/2 & counting. This team is about as far away from a Grey Cup as it was in 2016. I see no improvement. I don't see this team going on a late season tear. Coach is not managing the roster well at all. Team is in tatters. He is on the hot seat & if he isn't then something's wrong. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

C'mon Goalie, if he doesn't get this ship turned around he may go down with it. Season 4 1/2 & counting. This team is about as far away from a Grey Cup as it was in 2016. I see no improvement. I don't see this team going on a late season tear. Coach is not managing the roster well at all. Team is in tatters. He is on the hot seat & if he isn't then something's wrong. 

O'Shea has had enough time to show that he has the experience and smarts to build a contender and if we are lucky, we will be a .500 team at years end and limp into the playoffs. If that is good enough for a return to the status quo in 2019, I will sit it out.

I think the odds of O'Shea being canned this off season is very low... if we finish 500 then he'll be back.    Hall is definitely gone-zo...   his defense is worse then Etch's.....  

Disappointing how this season is turning out and while it's not over yet and anything can happen...  I'm more so now hoping they find pieces for next season and pray to god they somehow get Bighill back and a new d-coordinator who can actually coach a normal defense....

21 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

You mean like he has always done pretty much up until this point??

At some point you gotta call a spade a spade, no?

Doesn’t have much credibility when he’s missing routine throws and can’t get the ball out quick ever.  Also serves no purpose other than making pissy pants Matty Nichols feel better about how sucky he played.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Just listened to Matt’s post game interview and he did not throw his receivers under the bus. He was giving Calgary’s D credit for playing so well in zone coverage even through 4-5 reads.

Me thinks people are over reacting and blowing up the smallest things way out of line. 

The last two weeks it feels like this site is Riderfans.com  it's pretty lame. 

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Just listened to Matt’s post game interview and he did not throw his receivers under the bus. He was giving Calgary’s D credit for playing so well in zone coverage even through 4-5 reads.

This can't be determined until they look at the film.  Fact is, if he's not letting plays develop and waiting for a receiver to get open and instead dumping it off... then the film tells the story that Matty Dump Pass needs to ride the pine cause he just isn't getting it done.

As a competing fan I saw the game slightly different. Believe it or not as a green team supporter I was cheering for blue. I’ll explain at the bottom. 

The game I watched saw the Bombers go into the nest of the top 7-1 team. The Bombers staid toe to toe with Calgary for 95% of the game. The Bombers defence held Calgary’s offence many times and had the Stamps stalling drives or having to settle for 3 points.

To me the turning point was not the DC’s fault. I called it the Larry, Curly and Moe play. You have Loffler, Randle and Fenner all right there. Calgary’s receiver should have been buried right there.   Instead you have a woop, woop, woop play of 3 very good defenders bumping into each other and the receiver scamming to the end zone. 

I still felt the games wasn’t completely out of reach and there was maybe a slight hope. Then Mitchell throwing a screen behind the line of scrimmage but right into the hands of D-end Davis who takes it a short distance to the end zone was hard to take.  This game was reminiscent of the 1st game of the year with Hamilton in Calgary. Both visitors kept it close until the 2 minute mark and then all hell broke lose.

I wanted the Bombers to win. Why?  I’m tired of Bo Mitchell getting so much credit when the team around him plays as big of a role and often even a bigger role.  If Mitchell would have been on Montreal when he got his start. We all know he would be known as a good QB but not this CFL super hero status he has now. 

With the Bombers having played 1 more game than SK. It all would work out after Winnipeg’s next by week. I’d rather have Calgary lose 2 in a row than worry about the Bombers getting 2 points in Calgary. 

Anyway looking forward to our up and coming back to back series. Should be 2 great games. No doubt both stadiums will be rocking and the crowds will play a huge roll. At this point I can’t see anything other than a split. With each team obviously winning at home. 

Good luck Bomber fans. Except when your playing the green team.

cheers

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Me thinks people are over reacting and blowing up the smallest things way out of line. 

The last two weeks it feels like this site is Riderfans.com  it's pretty lame. 

I totally get what your saying. I enjoy several different sites around the league. This being one of them.  I’m a green team supporter and I don’t go on Riderfans.com at all. It’s not sanctioned or even supported by the Riders in anyway.  It was started by a couple fans. It’s become a site of total bitching and complaining and name calling. I’m surprised it’s still up and running. If you want to read somewhat better comments from green fans. The Riders support rodpedersen.com

2 loses is not the end of the world. Happens to all teams every year. Except maybe Calgary. 

It will be a battle all year between the EE, SK & Winnipeg for 2nd and 3rd. I don’t expect anything less. 

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Doesn’t have much credibility when he’s missing routine throws and can’t get the ball out quick ever.  Also serves no purpose other than making pissy pants Matty Nichols feel better about how sucky he played.

From what I heard, he called out pretty much everyone on the team for its performance.  nobody executed the game well..  normally its "I'm the coach, it's on me to prepare them.."and this time was "everyone underperformed.." seemed like even he was at a tipping point.

When a head coach looks defeated & sounds defeated with no answers that is a problem. We saw that with Tim Burke. The only difference is Burke had nothing to work with as that 2013 team was one of the worst all time in the CFL.  MOS has a lot more to work with here & he has to find a way to get this team back on track. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

It seems to me that we are one beating away from the team giving up on the season and coaches. And we may get that this coming weekend. We could go on about pride but players are human and its gotta be hard to put your best effort out onto the field if you have no hope of competing, let alone winning.

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

It seems to me that we are one beating away from the team giving up on the season and coaches. And we may get that this coming weekend. We could go on about pride but players are human and its gotta be hard to put your best effort out onto the field if you have no hope of competing, let alone winning.

This is over the top...  Bombers were toe to toe with the best in the league for 80-90% of that game...

If Foketi stays onside...  we're talking about this season in a totally different way - Bombers would have either won or lost by a few points...