2018 Matt Nichols

Just now, blueandgoldguy said:

Someone in the other Bomber forum said Mike O'shea stated in the post-game show the reason Nichols stayed in the game is that there was still a lot to learn lol.

Tell me that idiot didnt say that....I swear he treats the fans like were freaking 4 years old. Shut the **** up O'Shea.

4 minutes ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

I could not agree more that Nichols should absolutely keep his yap shut about the booing for the reasons others have already cited. I also agree that the fans were booing, at least in part, MOS' decision to re-insert Nichols (more than Nichols himself, per se). But let's not kid ourselves here. The fans were also booing because Streveler had provided just a little spark in a game in which - outside of his two successful deep shots - Matty had struggled mightily. Us fans were genuinely excited to see Streveler bringing a little something different.

A then coach kills that spark...

Plus it just defies about a 100 cumulative years of football coaching acumen to put your starter back in the game after he has just been dinged up when you are down 24 points.

I mean, holy %$#^, talk about stupid.

And stubborn. And ridiculous on so many fronts. If Matt's sore at anyone, he should be sore at his coach for putting Matt and Bomber fans alike in a terrible position. I mean, of course he freakin' wants to go back in the game and finish up with his troops (which is what he said on the post game show) but it's the head coach's &^%ing job to take that decision away from his player because the coach is supposed to see a bigger picture. Nichols went on to say he'd also want to finish up the game if we were up by 24 as well. Well, d'uh he would! But that wouldn't make that the right call in that situation either.

To sum up: the game is over, Nichols is dinged, Streveler is moving the ball, the fans are feeling a spark....WTF? I mean, just unbelievable decision-making from our head coach.

Exactly. Bad decision by the coach on so many levels putting him back in. 

9 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

You know, Nichols was upset just like we are.  I think we need to cool off here before we crucify the guy. As deepsixtoboydsaid the booing is on O'Shea for being stupidly stubborn & putting Matty back in after Streveler threw two straight completions. The guy's had nearly six seasons to learn to be a head coach, the game was over, Nichols had been injured  & yet he still pulls dumb stunts like that??? The more this **** happens the more I'm convinced this isn't the coach  who'll lead us to a Grey Cup victory.  The time for learning on the job is long over. 

My biggest issue with Nichols' whining is its like we owe him something. Yeah sure you try as best you can out there but youve won this city the same thing every other QB has for the last 27 years. Nothing. We pay your 400K salary. When i do a s**tty job at my work my boss tells me. When you do a s**tty job are your work we tell you by booing. Win a playoff game before you whine about respect and what youve done for us.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You know, Nichols was upset just like we are.  I think we need to cool off here before we crucify the guy. As deepsixtoboydsaid the booing is on O'Shea for being stupidly stubborn & putting Matty back in after Streveler threw two straight completions. The guy's had nearly six seasons to learn to be a head coach, the game was over, Nichols had been injured  & yet he still pulls dumb stunts like that??? The more this **** happens the more I'm convinced this isn't the coach  who'll lead us to a Grey Cup victory.  The time for learning on the job is long over. 

We have been hard on the guy tonight but he better elevate his play if he thinks tonight was rough....

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How about being tough on O'Shea & Walters? One built it & the other coaches it. That would be a start. 

On paper, Walters has put together a solid roster. When you have a team with Andrew Harris, Weston Dressler, Darvin Adams, the best o-line in the league, Adam Bighill, Jackson Jeffcoat, Poop Johnson, JSK, and Chris Randle, winning, and winning handily should not be a problem.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How about being tough on O'Shea & Walters? One built it & the other coaches it. That would be a start. 

With Average QB play MOS and Walters look good. With below average QB play... They dont. Nichols has been below average for a few weeks now. The team has won a few games with Nichols sucking. Good coaching? 

Nichols is not having a good season. The O is loaded with talent and he hasn't passed for 300 yet. Yeah 33... But.. Throwing for mostly under 250 yards a start is bad QB play

It feels like we have to keep reminding ourselves that this is a really, really good roster. I have been as tough on Walters as anyone and still cannot fathom how he can be so bad at bringing in Import receivers but at every position other than QB and maybe receiver this team stacks up as well if not better as any team in the league. It physically hurts me to see it potentially squandered by poor quarterback play. Nichols has been good for us in the past, I would never deny that but his play this year has been embarrassing and it's not like his sample size of good play is so vast that it's unfathomable that this could just be what he is. You can't have six subpar to mediocre games in a row and continue to get the benefit of the doubt and we finally have a backup QB who looks like an actual QB and he can't even get in for garbage time? What happened to the first few games after Nichols came back where Streveler would sneak and then stay in for a few more plays. That worked extremely well and then they just abandoned it. So many things this team does leaves me exasperated. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Streveler was exciting at hitting receivers at a higher speed than what Nichols could produce night....... jus what I thought I was seeing...

The Redblacks' D didn't prepare for Streveler though - also putting in your backup at that point might as well be raising the white flag to surrender. Maybe, just maybe, the Reblacks were playing a bit more relaxed in garbage time? Drew Willy "looked good" when he'd march the O downfield.... while being down 20+ points in the 4th quarter.

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

With Average QB play MOS and Walters look good. With below average QB play... They dont. Nichols has been below average for a few weeks now. The team has won a few games with Nichols sucking. Good coaching? 

Nichols is not having a good season. The O is loaded with talent and he hasn't passed for 300 yet. Yeah 33... But.. Throwing for mostly under 250 yards a start is bad QB play

Just like we want Nichols to turn it around, the HC has to find a way to turn it around as well.  It's on O'Shea as much as Nichols to have success. Making coaching decisions like he did with his qbs last night won't do it.  Five & a half years here with  no playoff wins. The HC has to wear the failures like a bad suit if there is another one at the end of the season.  No doubt the bar for success has risen because of MOS but it may be his undoing as well. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

This especially. Of course there are only so many yards to be had in a game, but Khari Jones had no problem with 300 yard games with Charles Roberts. BLM had no problem with 300 yard games with Jon Cornish. Travis Lulay had no problem with 300 yard games with Andrew Harris. You could go on and on.

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just like we want Nichols to turn it around, the HC has to find a way to turn it around as well.  It's on O'Shea as much as Nichols to have success. Making coaching decisions like he did with his qbs last night won't do it.  Five & a half years here with  no playoff wins. The HC has to wear the failures like a bad suit if there is another one at the end of the season.  No doubt the bar for success has risen because of MOS but it may be his undoing as well. 

MOS worst decision tonight was to pull a rookie QB with 2 minutes to go. Hes not out there missing throws and forcing throws and getting happy feet the second he feels any sort of pressure tho. I feel the coaches do 90 percent of their actual coaching during the practice week.. Its up to the players on game days to execute. Tonight? They didnt. 

Bottom line in sports... Coaches coach.. Players play. 

The only real issue besides taking the rookie out when we've already lost and im not 100 percent convinced that was his decision alone... Is perhaps he has put 2 much faith in our Coordinators

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

MOS worst decision tonight was to pull a rookie QB with 2 minutes to go. Hes not out there missing throws and forcing throws and getting happy feet the second he feels any sort of pressure tho. I feel the coaches do 90 percent of their actual coaching during the practice week.. Its up to the players on game days to execute. Tonight? They didnt. 

Bottom line in sports... Coaches coach.. Players play. 

The only real issue besides taking the rookie out when we've already lost and im not 100 percent convinced that was his decision alone... Is perhaps he has put 2 much faith in our Coordinators

That decision was one of the most perplexing things I've ever seen.  It made absolutely no sense. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That decision was one of the most perplexing things I've ever seen.  It made absolutely no sense. 

I would agree. I'd like to actually know who made that decision. Im not convinced it was OSH as Lapo has a longer history of sticking with the Vet and giving the backup no reps..

Perhaps tho.. It was exactly what OSH said tho.. A learning experience for Nichols as in learn to pick up on the basic blitz. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I would agree. I'd like to actually know who made that decision. Im not convinced it was OSH as Lapo has a longer history of sticking with the Vet and giving the backup no reps..

Perhaps tho.. It was exactly what OSH said tho.. A learning experience for Nichols as in learn to pick up on the basic blitz. 

That is the HC. He has the final say. He'd say to LaPo that it's time for a change. LaPo says no or yes. Then MOS agrees or not. That is always the HC's call. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That is the HC. He has the final say. He'd say to LaPo that it's time for a change. LaPo says no or yes. Then MOS agrees or not. That is always the HC's call. 

Sure. Lapo likely said Yes and so did Nichols and others likely said Yes also.. .

I dont think MOS is a guy who would say NO when everyone else says yes. He trusts his coaches and players 2 much

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Sure. Lapo likely said Yes and so did Nichols and others likely said Yes also.. .

I dont think MOS is a guy who would say NO when everyone else says yes. He trusts his coaches and players 2 much

Then he needs to go as it isn't working. I'll say again it's Year 5 1/2. I'll be a lot harder on O'Shea for what's going on than Nichols. 

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

Nichols would look a whole lot better with Ottawas receivers than the what he has to work with. Ours don't even know half the time where the first down marker is. Get some talent for him to throw to for shits sake. 

Our receivers aren't very good. We've known that now for 3 seasons.  Meanwhile we cut Kenny Stafford.