ALS - What happens if Vernon Adams lights it up?

O2L

So I’ve been following all the drama over the last few days in the MTL/HAM trade. Montréal has announced that Vernon Adams will be starting on Thursday, which makes sense, but everyone and their dog knows that the Als picked up Manziel to be their starter. Hell, they mortgaged their future on that fact.

So, wise MBB prognosticators, I ask you: what do the Als do if Vernon Adams lights it up on Thursday?

Do they keep starting him until he falters? Or is he one and done as soon as Manziel is ready no matter how well he plays?

I know that none of this will likely matter since the Als will probably lose again on Thursday, but humour me. If you were Reed and Sherman, what would you do in my theoretical scenario? I kind of feel like they should’ve waited one more week to see what they had in Adams before making this move..

Edited by O2L

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I a man curious as to why Hamilton went through all ofthe hassle oof getting him here.....  and never game him a real game start. 

How much hassle could it have been? Hamilton held all the cards. Dude made lots of noise and negotiated in public, but at the end of the day, if he wanted to get paid to play outdoor football in North America, Hamilton was his only option.

If I were a Ticats fan I'd be over the moon about this deal. They paid backup coin and zero football assets (unless you count Adams, who got cut to make room) to sign a raw guy with some upside but zero future in the league, and then they turned him into 2 high first round picks, a starting Canadian, and Chris Williams who could still have game?  That's some Rumplestiltskin GMing right there.

2 hours ago, O2L said:

So, wise MBB prognosticators, I ask you: what do the Als do if Vernon Adams lights it up on Thursday?

It's a fun thing to think about but I don't think 1996 Doug Flutie could light it up with the Als at this point.

Hamilton did what they did to bring him in to see what he's got...if he lit it up from the get go then they had an attention grabbing starter that would help them all around, with a good back-up in Masolli..or if he showed well but didn't win the starters spot then they had a good back-up still with name recognition to give them more viability.

In regards to Montreal if Adams lights it up..well he becomes the back-up that has shown he may be capable of running the offence if Johnny gets hurt or crashes and burns...

9 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I a man curious as to why Hamilton went through all ofthe hassle of getting him here.....  and never game him a real game start.

They didn't need to give him a start to get a king's ransom in return for a trade. From their perspective they made out like bandits bringing him in. 

12 hours ago, O2L said:

So I’ve been following all the drama over the last few days in the MTL/HAM trade. Montréal has announced that Vernon Adams will be starting on Thursday, which makes sense, but everyone and their dog knows that the Als picked up Manziel to be their starter. Hell, they mortgaged their future on that fact.

Do they keep starting him until he falters? Or is he one and done as soon as Manziel is ready no matter how well he plays?

I know that none of this will likely matter since the Als will probably lose again on Thursday, but humour me. If you were Reed and Sherman, what would you do in my theoretical scenario? I kind of feel like they should’ve waited one more week to see what they had in Adams before making this move..

It actually doesn't make sense.  If they still had any thoughts that Vernon Adams still could be the guy, then why the hell didn't they put him in already to see what he could do before making the trade to end all trades?  You don't make that kind of trade for just an insurance policy QB.  This is just beyond ridiculous.

I certainly would like to see Adams get a shot and Manziel as well, but if you're going to do that, you should not have stupidly wasted time on those dead beats Willy and Matthews.  Adams should have come in on Saturday instead of Schiltz if they're going to do it this way.  I'm telling you, this Als QB management is far worse than anything I ever saw in 2013 Winnipeg, and that's saying something.

22 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

It actually doesn't make sense.  If they still had any thoughts that Vernon Adams still could be the guy, then why the hell didn't they put him in already to see what he could do before making the trade to end all trades?  You don't make that kind of trade for just an insurance policy QB.  This is just beyond ridiculous.

I certainly would like to see Adams get a shot and Manziel as well, but if you're going to do that, you should not have stupidly wasted time on those dead beats Willy and Matthews.  Adams should have come in on Saturday instead of Schiltz if they're going to do it this way.  I'm telling you, this Als QB management is far worse than anything I ever saw in 2013 Winnipeg, and that's saying something.

Hey now them's fighting words. You sound like you need a snickers there buddy and I know the QB who can give you one (maybe not a touchdown pass). 

If Adams lights it up and Johnny shows poorly, then it would be very funny.

If this were to actually happen, then Adams would become the QB again for the last third of the year, there is a reasonable chance that the Als would make the playoffs in a bad Eastern conference, and Kavis would keep his job despite doing everything possible to screw it up.

Again, that would be very funny.

13 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I a man curious as to why Hamilton went through all ofthe hassle of getting him here.....  and never game him a real game start.

Why go through all the trouble? Because under contract he is tradable to a team desperate for QB help at a King's ransom. He was on their neg list and suddenly became a very important roster management chip even without playing. Hamilton got a fantastic return on him, and that makes him worth the trouble of signing.