Derek Jones

On 2018-07-09 at 12:06 PM, Albertabomberguy said:

they brought in Jeff Hecht to replace him 

I honestly thought this was a joke at first... he's an ok player but I would've preferred to see one of Conteh or Branning back... I guess they wanted a veteran...

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

National depth is a huge problem for this league....for all teams...sadly it only gets worse as the season progresses and injuries mount up. I would like to see more PR spots occupied by Nationals....help to develop your depth in your systems...Internationals are a dime a dozen and a phone call away.

id like to see us able to retain the rights to college guys for two years and send em back. Draft them earlier, have them in two camps let them improve and learn from camps here then go back to college. On top of that say 2 more spots on the PR for NI kids who aged out of college would be good. 

but really what we need to attract more and better athletes to the game is, 1 safer football and 2 more money at the cfl level. We should take head contact as serious as PI / horse collars and bring about the eventual change to shoulder/rugby/hawk tackles. And for salaries to grow the league has to grow organically. I think the league is on a good path for sustained growth over all. Though some markets are troublesome with lack of attendance. 

An alternative to drafting early and restricting the movement of NI players (Which the CFLPA wouldn't go for), more NI's on the PR and more money in the SMS to make it work would be to reduce the number of NI's by 1 and increase the number of DI's by 1. Better players. Less money than paying extra players and the same restrictions we have now on player movement.

4 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

National depth is a huge problem for this league....for all teams...sadly it only gets worse as the season progresses and injuries mount up. I would like to see more PR spots occupied by Nationals....help to develop your depth in your systems...Internationals are a dime a dozen and a phone call away.

Maybe give Walters the phone number so he won't have to go the expensive free agent route for wr's and mlb. 

Edited by bryan35

25 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

An alternative to drafting early and restricting the movement of NI players (Which the CFLPA wouldn't go for), more NI's on the PR and more money in the SMS to make it work would be to reduce the number of NI's by 1 and increase the number of DI's by 1. Better players. Less money than paying extra players and the same restrictions we have now on player movement.

i dont think less spots for NIs helps long term. Its less spots for development. We see frequently, guys past over in the nfl come here and become stars. Imo we need more of a catch can to allow talent to stick around longer and develop more. Not a restriction to try and force the once we have to be better. The talent and athletic ability of Nis is going up in leaps and bounds every few years. Heck Id rather see 2 more NI active roster spots then less. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

i dont think less spots for NIs helps long term. Its less spots for development. We see frequently, guys past over in the nfl come here and become stars. Imo we need more of a catch can to allow talent to stick around longer and develop more. Not a restriction to try and force the once we have to be better. The talent and athletic ability of Nis is going up in leaps and bounds every few years. Heck Id rather see 2 more NI active roster spots then less. 

There aren't enough good NI's to go round right now which is why it's so hard to replace the ones who go down to injury. IF/When the CFL gets another team, the problem will become even worse.

The best NI's go to the NFL, just like the best US players. We get the leftovers. Most NI's play special teams. Finding the last starting level NI is hard for most teams, which is why NI's get paid way more than their US born counterparts. I'd rather see better players than more NI's. It's the rules and the paychecks that set the CFL apart from the NFL, not a specific number of NI starters.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

There aren't enough good NI's to go round right now which is why it's so hard to replace the ones who go down to injury. IF/When the CFL gets another team, the problem will become even worse.

The best NI's go to the NFL, just like the best US players. We get the leftovers. Most NI's play special teams. Finding the last starting level NI is hard for most teams, which is why NI's get paid way more than their US born counterparts. I'd rather see better players than more NI's. It's the rules and the paychecks that set the CFL apart from the NFL, not a specific number of NI starters.

Not enough starters. But i do believe the talent is available for teamers and PR. And that he gap, is developing those guys. 

This thread alone is about derek jones, a guy who since last year has been considered ready to start in the league but stuck behind loffler. Augustine showed he is ready to contribute on game day. A guy like spooner could draw in to allow more then one back up OL. Look at the list of NI that are not on the active roster right now. Corney, lafrance, augustine, jones, spooner, gauthier, speller and conteh. Only conteh is green guy. All the rest are guys who can contribute atleast as back end of the roster roles. Corney before being hurt had really turned the corner and also looked ready to start. Bc tried to scoop spooner last year to start for them. Speller and spoon are a coin toss in readiness. Gauthier had been one of the best teams guys in the league this year before getting hurt. Imo corney, lafrance, jones, spooner and speller all have strong starting potential. You dont get those type of guys around the corner by sitting on the PR rather then backing up and playing teams. 

2 minutes ago, do or die said:

If Loffler keeps up his present play, at some point, Jones may become unstuck......

You arent wrong. In the current scheme with bighill playing the same area short-middle side line to side line that loffler previously excelled at he is kind of with out a home. I was thinking for a moment during the game, would we be better with bighill at S, jsk at mlb, and loffler at wil? The time to get a customed to a new position for each guy a lone seems like it wouldnt work. Plus JSK has really done well next to bighill. 

Perhaps the long term solution is trading loffler to a place he fits better. If jones health is bad, perhaps trade loffler for another starting NI, or sign bakari grant cut bowman play 3 ni wrs, move mo back to S and play fenner at sam. Alexander comes back when healthy and the two rooks fill one spot.