The Day Early Game Day Thread WPG @ HAM

From the Winnipeg Sun

In his first scrum with reporters since Winnipeg’s last game, Harris on Wednesday took Alouettes defensive back Jermaine Robinson to task for his helmet-on-knee tackle.

“Ultimately, you want guys to hit you in a spot where it’s a safer hit,” Harris said. “The quarterbacks, guys are getting penalties for those kinds of hits. Honestly, I feel like it should be for everyone. A lot of guys get big injuries off low tackles.”

Harris says his anger was compounded by the way Robinson reacted after taking his legs out from under him. “The guy was talking trash right after it happened, and (later) came and said sorry to me. I’ve got no time for that,” Harris said. “That’s disrespectful and they’re trying to take you out of the game.”

Harris did acknowledge he’s a high-profile player and will sometimes have a target on his back, or in this case, his legs.

But he says he never takes advantage of an opponent to deliver a dirty hit, and wants the same respect in return.

“Obviously, I run with a certain style and it takes more than one guy, or it’s hard for guys to bring me down,” he said. “So I’m expecting lower hits. But any time a guy puts his helmet directly on your knee or your thigh – to me there’s always better ways to try to take a guy down and a safer way.

“The big thing was there was no intent to wrap up… wrapping up is what you should try to do instead of just blowing somebody’s knee out.”

Head coach Mike O’Shea said he had no opinion on whether Robinson’s hit was clean or not.

I know Harris is  an emotional guy but I would prefer he continue to do his talking on the field and not give the opposition additional bulletin board material.  I find this type of stuff usually doesn't work in your favour.  

Doesn't sound like O'Shea is a fan of it either.      

9 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I know Harris is  an emotional guy but I would prefer he continue to do his talking on the field and not give the opposition additional bulletin board material.  I find this type of stuff usually doesn't work in your favour.  

See and I think a pissed off Harris is a far more dangerous player. I don't see a problem with it. He didn't like a hit and it's got him fired up, let him use that energy. 

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Doesn't sound like O'Shea is a fan of it either.

What you have quoted above your post is almost line for line what Harris said in the podcast with Jeff Hamilton. I think The Sun got it from there maybe? Anyway if it was he was be very open and candid in that podcast. 

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Because they rotate DL and ultimately do best when 7 are playing, 5 imports 2 non-imports.  Now we are down to 5 imports and 1 non-import.  There is no depth there.

Fair enough, I don't think there will be that big of a drop off with one less rotation. I guess we will see.

Finally had the chance to watch the Esk./Ti-Cat game last night and noticed a few things about the Ti-Cats.

-Masoli is super slippery and relies on quick feet to buy time in the pocket, that along with a very good arm is a potent combination.  I predict that Manziel is never going to beat him out as the starting QB in Hammertown, he's just that good.

-Tasker=Dressler.  Both receivers play the same game, searching out the soft spots in the D and helping their QB's out in difficult situations, kinda like "Santa's little helpers".

-Timmis broke out last game, he's big and can gallop like a frickin' horse if not contained to the inside lanes, once he gets past the LB's he's tough to stop.  This dude can also pass-protect, nice find.

-Big target Toliver is back and should cause problems for shorter DB's roped into covering him one on one, I think he could be the most underrated receiver in the league next to Darvin. 

-June Jones offence is unlike any other in the league and does an excellent good job mixing the running game with the passing game.  A couple of things I noticed, Jones often uses Landon Rice as an extra O-lineman on passing plays which makes it look like a double TE set.  Jones also makes extensive use of blocking back Whitlock in the backfield often at the same time the extra O-lineman is on the field which makes rushing 4 destined for failure.  If the Bombers want to cause Masoli any grief, they're going to have to rely on stunts and blitzing LB's and DB's to do so.

-Ti-Cat D looks solid under the ageless Gerry Glanville (Steinauer supervising), excellent corners in Breaux and Leonard although it looks like Leonard may miss this game. Solid LB's with Dean flanked by Lawrence and marvelous Don Unamba at dime.  Nothing special about their D-line pressure other than having Laurent in the middle they shouldn't be able to get much pressure on Streveler as long as the O-line does it's job properly.