Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Ahead of the Riders who have much less depth, a poor O-line, and not much Canadian talent. 

Both teams have huge question marks at QB. 

What I'll be interested in watching, considering his downward confidence spiral in Hamilton, is how Collaros handles adversity when things aren't going well i.e., two and out, after two and out, after two and out etc etc. I actually was pulling for the guy until he signed in saskabush. Now I'm looking forward to seeing a certain expression on Chris Jones face as he sees Collaros trot off the field yet again. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Serious question.  Where do you think the Bombers should be ranked with Nichols out and no experienced back up qb's?

18 game schedule with Nichols missing at most 5 games. Given the talent on this team, American and Canadian, the MASSIVE upgrade at MLB in Bighill (you guys will find out soon enough all about Hurl), because of which our safety can now be a safety instead of having to play close to the line to make up for Hurl's incompetence, which will help our secondary which was our Achilles heel last season, a more veteran presence in the secondary with Gaitor who replaces Walker, a perennial nearly double digit sack DE in Roh to rotate with Okpalaugo, Fenner who may be the 2nd best SAM in the league to hold down the fort until the best SAM in the league (Leggett) is back, Canadian RB Lafrance to spell the best Canadian RB in the league, perennial all-star TD monster receiver in Bowman, a healthy Darvin Adams, etc, etc.

What have we lost?? Heath who if he isn't getting picks is an average DB at best. Travis Bond who couldn't even stick on your sad sack o-line.

So yes, I think the Bombers should be freaking higher than 7th.

Serious question, do you think the Riders should be ranked 4???

You guys have a QB that has looked liked s*** for 2 years and in his pre-season tune-up, your o-line is patch work with no depth and huge question marks, your best DB went to the NFL, your Canadians are quite possibly the weakest in the league and their depth is laughable, and your starting MLB is Sam freakin' Hurl for gods sakes lol.

What have you guys added? A 34 year old DE??

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

48 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I see cfl.ca is in mid-season clueless form with their asinine power rankings to start the season. Rider 4th overall, Bombers 7th overall. LMFAO.

I am not sure about the Riders ranking, but Bombers at 7th with a starting QB that has never even seen a regular season CFL game live, might be a generous ranking. And O'Shea didn't help his QBs in pre season because like Chris Jones he spent all the pre season games evaluating and no time giving his inexperienced QBs game time playing with the starters.

I have no problem with the Blue being projected low because of the QB injury.     That being said Saskatchewan looked as bad if not worse then Montreal in the pre-season.    I'd have them ranked lower then BC and only ahead of Montreal.    If Collaros had performed decently during pre season then I can see them being ranked around 5th...  but with his dismal performance and him not winning a start in a dozen years....  how in the world do they rank them up at 4th?

4 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

18 game schedule with Nichols missing at most 5 games. Given the talent on this team, American and Canadian, the MASSIVE upgrade at MLB in Bighill (you guys will find out soon enough all about Hurl), because of which our safety can now be a safety instead of having to play close to the line to make up for Hurl's incompetence, which will help our secondary which was our Achilles heel last season, a more veteran presence in the secondary with Gaitor who replaces Walker, a perennial nearly double digit DE in Roh to rotate with Okpalaugo, Fenner who may be the 2nd best SAM in the league to hold down the fort until the best SAM in the league (Leggett) is back, Canadian RB Lafrance to spell the best Canadian RB in the league, perennial all-star TD monster receiver in Bowman, a healthy Darvin Adams, etc, etc.

What have we lost?? Heath who if he isn't getting picks is an average DB at best. Travis Bond who couldn't even stick on your sad sack o-line.

You guys have a QB that has looked liked s*** for 2 years and in his pre-season tune-up, your o-line is patch work with no depth and huge question marks, your best DB went to the NFL, your Canadians are quite possibly the weakest in the league and their depth if laughable, and your starting MLB is Sam freakin' Hurl for gods sakes lol.

Couldn't have described it any better myself.

we also have the best kicker in league...and the riders now are going with a basically unproven rookie...certainly to cost a game or two when the pressure is on

The most bizzarre thing there is they have no depth at all behind any o-lineman..Canadian or American and are looking to start 2 unproven new Americans for whatever reason and truthfully sounds like a cap hell reason...so they had to jettison their best "proven" American....If you are buying Chris Jones's B.S about Bond being not better than who replaced him so doesn't justify keeping him then you are just plain stupid.

All the greeinie fans there were raving about him..saying how he was clearly the best...couldn't stop using the term "roadgrader" but all of sudden he was sub par...what a joke

If they suffer any injury to any Canadian they are in a world of trouble...not to mention multiple ones...They are so weak on the defensive and offensive lines with Canadians that it's almost comical...

40 minutes ago, JCon said:

Ahead of the Riders who have much less depth, a poor O-line, and not much Canadian talent. 

Both teams have huge question marks at QB. 

You didn't answer the question. As far as the Riders, we have 2 qb's with starting experience on the roster, so not sure how you rank the Bombers higher at this moment. 

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

You didn't answer the question. As far as the Riders, we have 2 qb's with starting experience on the roster, so not sure how you rank the Bombers higher at this moment. 

cause the rest of the team is better, much better. plus for as much starting experience as the riders qbs have, they're not terribly impressive quarterbacks. 

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Yes, I answered the question. The Bombers should be higher because we have more depth, a better o-line and superior Canadian talent. 

Bridge has played in 17 games and Collaros hasn't won a game in years. Not much to look at there for experience. 

14 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

18 game schedule with Nichols missing at most 5 games. Given the talent on this team, American and Canadian, the MASSIVE upgrade at MLB in Bighill (you guys will find out soon enough all about Hurl), because of which our safety can now be a safety instead of having to play close to the line to make up for Hurl's incompetence, which will help our secondary which was our Achilles heel last season, a more veteran presence in the secondary with Gaitor who replaces Walker, a perennial nearly double digit DE in Roh to rotate with Okpalaugo, Fenner who may be the 2nd best SAM in the league to hold down the fort until the best SAM in the league (Leggett) is back, Canadian RB Lafrance to spell the best Canadian RB in the league, perennial all-star TD monster receiver in Bowman, a healthy Darvin Adams, etc, etc.

You guys have a QB that has looked liked s*** for 2 years and in his pre-season tune-up, your o-line is patch work with no depth and huge question marks, your best DB went to the NFL, your Canadians are quite possibly the weakest in the league and their depth if laughable, and your starting MLB is Sam freakin' Hurl for gods sakes lol.

Good rant.  You do realize the power ranking change every week don't you?  As I said, THIS WEEK, WITHOUT NICHOLS, where do you think the Bombers should have been ranked?.  Personally I don't take any stock in the power rankings, I just find it funny that you are upset with where your team sits when you have no qb

we have 3 QB's just like everyone else...plain and simple...and all 3 of ours looked better i pre-season than your 3.

And if you use the excuse it's just pre-season and thats why our rookies looked good then you should be really worried when your "2 starting calibre guys" looked like for a lack of a better word....crap

1 minute ago, Booch said:

we have 3 QB's just like everyone else...plain and simple...and all 3 of ours looked better i pre-season than your 3.

And if you use the excuse it's just pre-season and thats why our rookies looked good then you should be really worried when your "2 starting calibre guys" looked like for a lack of a better word....crap

I'll have no problem critiquing our team after we play a league game. You cling to how we looked with our backups playing if it helps you feel better though 

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Ya your backups are better than our two qbs with game experience

Collaros, your starter, hasn't won in how many games? And, playing behind that O-line? 

I'm fine starting a rookie QB, with our O-line and our running game. 

Let's not forget how often Nichols has been questioned over the years as a "game manager". If he's that, then why can't a rookie succeed here??

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Collaros, your starter, hasn't won in how many games? And, playing behind that O-line? 

Let's not forget how often Nichols has been questioned over the years as a "game manager". If he's that, then why can't a rookie succeed here??

Exactly. The Bombers arnt going to ask Streveler to throw it 40 times a game. This defense should have no problems keeping games close. They will rely on the running game and have Streveler throw high percentage, low risk passes.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Good question.  My views on Nichols are well known, so I won't bother discussing them.  I don't think you will miss him as much as many think.  However, rookie qb's are going to make mistakes and it will cost you games while they are learning regardless of what ever the rest of the roster does on the field

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I'll have no problem critiquing our team after we play a league game. You cling to how we looked with our backups playing if it helps you feel better though 

That last game against CGY was all your starters...or were to be the starters...so not sure how you say playing with your back-ups

On the flip side all our back-ups...and pretty much 80 percent of the guys who were cut or PR'd were beating the BC starters into the 3rd quarter...so yeah...feel pretty good actually

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Exactly. The Bombers arnt going to ask Streveler to throw it 40 times a game. This defense should have no problems keeping games close. They will rely on the running game and have Streveler throw high percentage, low risk passes.

Nichols doesn't throw it 40 times a game. unless you count the dumps to Harris. 

11 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Good rant.  You do realize the power ranking change every week don't you?  As I said, THIS WEEK, WITHOUT NICHOLS, where do you think the Bombers should have been ranked?.  Personally I don't take any stock in the power rankings, I just find it funny that you are upset with where your team sits when you have no qb

TBH, I took  a quick look at those rankings and realized without reading the article that the Bombers rank was due to Nichols injury.  Haven't given it too much thought since.  Riders ranking did seem a little high considering their poor preseason.  Wonder if Jamie Nye influenced all the other voters:lol:

Just now, Ripper said:

Good question.  My views on Nichols are well known, so I won't bother discussing them.  I don't think you will miss him as much as many think.  However, rookie qb's are going to make mistakes and it will cost you games while they are learning regardless of what ever the rest of the roster does on the field

Time will tell. I still have the Bombers ahead of the Riders for all the reasons I said and have heard no rebuttal beyond "experience", which is dubious at best. 

Just now, Ripper said:

Nichols doesn't throw it 40 times a game. unless you count the dumps to Harris. 

Why wouldn't they count? 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

That last game against CGY was all your starters...or were to be the starters...so not sure how you say playing with your back-ups

On the flip side all our back-ups...and pretty much 80 percent of the guys who were cut or PR'd were beating the BC starters into the 3rd quarter...so yeah...feel pretty good actually

Jefferson, Hughes, Evans, Messam are starters.  How much did you see them on the field either game?