Game 27: Parliament @ Legislator

iHeart

I don’t know about anyone else but it’s emotional looking at this and seeing the Jets in first place. 

It’s not the cup.  It’s not playoff success. But there is no discounting the reality of the quality of team they are now. 

How many years. How many disappointments.  And our team is in first place. A position they earned and deserve. 

Who knows why wil happen the rest of the way.   But my goodness, how good does it feel?  It’s hard to accept and believe to a degree. 

The Winnipeg Jets are for real.  

How long have we waited to say that?  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I don’t know about anyone else but it’s emotional looking at this and seeing the Jets in first place. 

It’s not the cup.  It’s not playoff success. But there is no discounting the reality of the quality of team they are now. 

How many years. How many disappointments.  And our team is in first place. A position they earned and deserve. 

Who knows why wil happen the rest of the way.   But my goodness, how good does it feel?  It’s hard to accept and believe to a degree. 

The Winnipeg Jets are for real.  

How long have we waited to say that?  

8e501d06e8cb3b82_200.gif

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Is it too soon to put the Kane trade to bed? 

The only argument Buffalo can win on this trade is that it was part of a bigger plan to tank the season and pick up McDavid or Eichel and by signing Eichel long term they are probably happy with the trade too.

Their last coach maybe not.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The only argument Buffalo can win on this trade is that it was part of a bigger plan to tank the season and pick up McDavid or Eichel and by signing Eichel long term they are probably happy with the trade too.

Their last coach maybe not.

Yup. Thats worked out well for them... Perennial cellar dwellers. 

I know some here say that Myers plays soft and there is something to that, but it was nice to see Myers give Brassard (I think) a wet glove to the mush after he was getting a little too pokey in front of the net with his stick.  Good to see some of Buff's meanness starting to wear off.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Interesting perspective provided by Paul MacLean when asked who has really helped the Jets this year.

His reply?

Steve Mason in really helping Connor Hellebuyck come into his own , something the Jets lacked last year from a veteran netminder mentor point of view.

One thing that struck me was the story of Helle and Mason going out for dinner before the season and discussing their roles.  It seemed they both made the point of creating a positive relationship in wanting to work together for the benefit of the team.  Both seem like real pros.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Interesting perspective provided by Paul MacLean when asked who has really helped the Jets this year.

His reply?

Steve Mason in really helping Connor Hellebuyck come into his own , something the Jets lacked last year from a veteran netminder mentor point of view.

Oh... Steve Mason was the goalie coach that Helle hired on his own and worked with for the entire summer?  I didn't know that.

Just now, SPuDS said:

cant it be both?

I suppose it could... but seems kind of unlikely

Helle stepped in and made like 40 saves his first game - I don't see how Mason had any real influence on Helle learning how to use his glove hand... that was his sole weakness last year

I think Mason helps with stability yes, same way Hendricks 'helps'... but these guys are more icing on the cake than the real drivers of success

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Oh... Steve Mason was the goalie coach that Helle hired on his own and worked with for the entire summer?  I didn't know that.

I think you missed the point. Mason provided legitimate competition for Hellebuyck, who really put his nose to grindstone and worked on his craft this past off-season. Of course attending the NET360 camp helped. But it's good to see the Jets' netminders are both getting along and are respectively understanding of their roles. That goes a long way for cohesiveness, which is important for a team trying to be consistently successful.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I think you missed the point. Mason provided legitimate competition for Hellebuyck, who really put his nose to grindstone and worked on his craft this past off-season. Of course attending the NET360 camp helped. But it's good to see the Jets' netminders are both getting along and are respectively understanding of their roles. That goes a long way for cohesiveness, which is important for a team trying to be consistently successful.

I wonder if knowing Helly #1, Mason #2 was also something that helped centre his mind a bit.. Knowing he was in a battle for that role with Hutch et all could have been playing mind tricks with him.    Mason and him sitting down and establishing roles and knowing what each player is there for essentially may very well have helped calm the nerves.   Fundamentally wise tho, I'm sure the summer camp went a long ways to get him back to where he needed to be.

13 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

My point was more that Mason is a factor but not the main reason for Helle's success...

You could just as easily say that Stuart being replaced with Kulikov is the real reason for Helle's success this year

Or Helle being buddies with Dubnyk...  anyway whatevs

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

My point was more that Mason is a factor but not the main reason for Helle's success...

You could just as easily say that Stuart being replaced with Kulikov is the real reason for Helle's success this year

Or Helle being buddies with Dubnyk...  anyway whatevs

I don't disagree. I found MacLean's comment kind of silly, to be honest. Especially when you consider how much Hellebuyck changed in the off-season: his diet, his workout regimen, and obviously, the NET360 camp. It makes me wonder if those changes were made as a result (cause and effect) of the team signing Mason back on July 1. Perhaps that signing lit a fire under Hellebuyck's butt and pushed him to be his best going into this season.

I think it all factors in, anyway. Including improvements to the blue line, such as adding Kulikov, as well as getting a healthy and focused Myers back in the lineup.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

His glove hand is 100% better than last year.  He's still facing at least 5-6 dead to rights chances every game...

No, its not a mistake at all.

so... he had no hand last year? did we just tape the catcher to his jersey ?   how'd we grow him a new hand is the better question!

14 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

so... he had no hand last year? did we just tape the catcher to his jersey ?   how'd we grow him a new hand is the better question!

People expected to much from Helle last year. He was good but he was overplayed cuz there was zero faith in Hutch and Pav... Like none... Zero... Nadda. Helle was a rookie who played most the games on a team who was absolutely decimated by injuries and schedule and a hold out to start the year.... 

Hes not a different goalie...hes the same guy... Hes always been like he is this season... Ppl just preferred to crap on him cuz the rookie getting zero support couldnt stand on his head every game.

What Paul McLean said is silly but it certainly doesnt hurt to have a guy who supports you also around. Hutch and Pav were not supportive at all..  They sulked and were babies... Like hutch is showing this year and like pav showed last year despite the BS they tried selling to fans saying he was being a pro... He wasnt... He was sulking. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

People expected to much from Helle last year. He was good but he was overplayed cuz there was zero faith in Hutch and Pav... Like none... Zero... Nadda. Helle was a rookie who played most the games on a team who was absolutely decimated by injuries and schedule and a hold out to start the year.... 

Hes not a different goalie...hes the same guy... Hes always been like he is this season... Ppl just preferred to crap on him cuz the rookie getting zero support couldnt stand on his head every game. 

Oh I agree.. what happened was exactly what I exected to happen.. He would have some solid games mixed in with ones where he was either gassed or unfocused just from the weight of being a starting goalie without getting a chance to truly get his feet wet.  I didn't expect him to play all that great at all last year..  I also didn't expect a rebound like he has this year tho..

last year he was as expected to me imo.. this season hes blowing away my expectations.