Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

How long did it take for the Bombers to find a legit starting qb after Glenn left town? Just a qb away is a tall order.

No one is upset about Claybrooks taking the Als head coaching job if he does. He's only been coaching since 2012 & a DC since 2016. Not a lot of experience coaching wise.  He's coordinated a defense loaded with talent the past 2 years & he has a really good GM in Hufnagel.  The Stamps  scouting staff has done a great job to find him defensive players. The Stamps offense takes a ton of pressure off his defensive unit to win games.

Montreal is nothing at all like the Stampeders. The Als have no legit starting qb, a sketchy offensive line, an older receiving corps with no real deep threat, average running game & a defense that has looked lost since Noel Thorpe was fired. The team is a mess plus he'd be working for a guy who has never shown he was a competent position coach, coordinator, HC or GM. I also get the impression that Kavis Reed would never have his back in a crisis & wants a Yes Man in place. So, hiring an inexperienced HC would be cheaper, easier & Reed wouldn't be challenged like he might be if he hired someone with coaching experience. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How long did it take for the Bombers to find a legit starting qb after Glenn left town? Just a qb away is a tall order.

Hell we don't even have to bring up the Bombers, Montreal has been a qb away since Calvillo retired. All those years to have a succession plan and they didn't do anything about it and now look at them. Totally squandered a real stable environment and now it's gonna be that much tougher. 

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Hell we don't even have to bring up the Bombers, Montreal has been a qb away since Calvillo retired. All those years to have a succession plan and they didn't do anything about it and now look at them. Totally squandered a real stable environment and now it's gonna be that much tougher. 

Crompton was the only guy who won games for them since Calvillo left...

Bauming tweets that "Mark Nelson will remain with the team in a coaching capacity."  Is there any way this isn't a demotion for Nelson?  Looks weird for him to be sticking around, but maybe I don't know enough to judge.

In other news, J. Mincy has been released to try the NFL.  Als lose one of their bright spots from last year.  Thought he had some great games against the best in our league. Good luck to him.

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Bauming tweets that "Mark Nelson will remain with the team in a coaching capacity."  Is there any way this isn't a demotion for Nelson?  Looks weird for him to be sticking around, but maybe I don't know enough to judge.

In other news, J. Mincy has been released to try the NFL.  Als lose one of their bright spots from last year.  Thought he had some great games against the best in our league. Good luck to him.

Mincy was set to be a free agent so they were probably losing him regardless.  Releasing him now was just a goodwill gesture so that NFL teams get to start working him out sooner.

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Implying that our coaching staff doesn't have legitimacy already? I mean for **** sakes both Lapo and Hall have been head coaches in this league! Not like the Bombers have a bunch of nobodies coaching them. 

When one has only a single item agenda, everything sounds the same.  Try the ignore, you won't miss anything.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Being fired from a gong show isn't really indicative of anything. I'd even argue that's more a question of a GM having absolutely no clue how to do anything.

no I agree but it is usually an indicator of some form of friction..  I'd have looked at Thorpe as DC personally from what I've seen of his defenses... but I also don't know if it would have worked well with the culture we have going at the moment..