Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Seems like it's just Wally wanting to coach and not worry about the day-to-day busywork of being a GM, so let Hervey be his helper monkey, but Wally still calls all the shots...

couldn't have used a different saying, eh?  lol.

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

edited -- never even crossed my mind as I typed it. I just don't think like that....

lol ya thats what I figured and I doubt anyone else would have noticed or had the same inclination I did but my brain does some odd things at times .

David Braley continuing to grind the Lions into the dirt just like the Argos. And Ambrosie said during GC week that if the CFL had a Mount Rushmore Braley's bust would be chiselled into it. Maybe in 1995 but not with the damage he's done to 2 teams. He's become a disinterested owner wanting an exhorbitant amount for a team that is losing value e\ch & everyday he holds onto it. Killing the fanbase. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Well, well, well.  I cannot see how this could work. Ed Hervey had the reputation in Edmonton of being very prickly and dictatorial and Wally would have had to been  slipped a lot of roofies to hold still for this.  When he finishes jonesing, he is gonna be a very unhappy camper. Not going to end well, IMO.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:20 PM, tracker said:

Well, well, well.  I cannot see how this could work. Ed Hervey had the reputation in Edmonton of being very prickly and dictatorial and Wally would have had to been  slipped a lot of roofies to hold still for this.  When he finishes jonesing, he is gonna be a very unhappy camper. Not going to end well, IMO.

Maybe buono will calm him down a bit.  Hervey is an interesting choice. Ill take BC with hervey over mtl with saveface reed thats for sure.

Im glad that Buono will ride off into the sun set after next year. The last of the old guard. Greatest HC ever? Over a career I think so. Id put the don for best over short periods of time ahead of him. Gonna be strange to have a league with out him on a team.  Only 4 years have passed with out wally involved in a CFL team from 1973 to now. Just un real. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Claybrooks takes this job then I won't feel sorry for him WHEN he is fired. It'll be a stupid decision. Is he that desperate to become a head coach? 

In general a dumpster fire isnt an awful way to take a first crack at being a HC. BUT claybrooks can wait for a perfect situation and cherry pick. He hasnt been coaching that long, and can still benefit a good bit from being in a strong organization like calgary. 40 years old, in coaching since 2012 Id wait for sure.  A guy like him who has no reason to be desperate what so ever should groom till he finds a great management core that will support him and give him a few years. Like we did here. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

In general a dumpster fire isnt an awful way to take a first crack at being a HC. BUT claybrooks can wait for a perfect situation and cherry pick. He hasnt been coaching that long, and can still benefit a good bit from being in a strong organization like calgary. 40 years old, in coaching since 2012 Id wait for sure.  A guy like him who has no reason to be desperate what so ever should groom till he finds a great management core that will support him and give him a few years. Like we did here. 

Exactly. He's in a great place & the more experience he gets as a DC the better HC he'll be. You're right about limited coaching experience. He needs more seasoning & can wait so what's the rush?  The way I see it, Reed wants a guy who will listen & never question him.  He learned that from Eric Tillman who gave Reed his first HC job in Edmonton. I remember reading stories about the relationship Reed had with Tillman back then who was the GM & his boss. Kavis had never been a head coach before. He was beholden to Tillman. He knew that Reed would never question his decisions like trading away Ricky Ray for virtually nothing. Tillman wanted a Yes Man in place & it sure looks like Reed wants a Yes Man in place as his HC.  That's how I see this.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Exactly. He's in a great place & the more experience he gets as a DC the better HC he'll be. You're right about limited coaching experience. He needs more seasoning & can wait so what's the rush?  The way I see it, Reed wants a guy who will listen & never question him.  He learned that from Eric Tillman who gave Reed his first HC job in Edmonton. I remember reading stories about the relationship Reed had with Tillman back then who was the GM & his boss. Kavis had never been a head coach before. He was beholden to Tillman. He knew that Reed would never question his decisions like trading away Ricky Ray for virtually nothing. Tillman wanted a Yes Man in place & it sure looks like Reed wants a Yes Man in place as his HC.  That's how I see this.

Probably right about reed n tillman and reed just wanting a yes man. And maybe some one to take heat off him in montreal. Young coach would buy him time. 

Part of me thinks this is all from reed. Id hope claybrooks has kicked the tires is gonna do the interview and gain that experience and go no further. That moment, the interview is huge for a young coach. That first time interviewing for a HC job and being wanted thats like the feeling in your gut on an elevator.  Maybe BC after next year replace buono. 

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I don't think you guys get how competitive these guys are. They have total belief they can turn it around no matter what's happening within the organization.

No question about that. You dont last as long in pro football as claybrooks did, and then succeed soo quickly as a coach with out that drive to excel. But going from the best run franchise to one of the biggest dumpster fires in the last decade is a sh%^& move. Trestman and pop showed it can be done in one year. but you gotta have that right management in place too. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Probably right about reed n tillman and reed just wanting a yes man. And maybe some one to take heat off him in montreal. Young coach would buy him time. 

Part of me thinks this is all from reed. Id hope claybrooks has kicked the tires is gonna do the interview and gain that experience and go no further. That moment, the interview is huge for a young coach. That first time interviewing for a HC job and being wanted thats like the feeling in your gut on an elevator.  Maybe BC after next year replace buono. 

Crazy stupid if he accepts. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

No question about that. You dont last as long in pro football as claybrooks did, and then succeed soo quickly as a coach with out that drive to excel. But going from the best run franchise to one of the biggest dumpster fires in the last decade is a sh%^& move. Trestman

Trestman had Popp who believed in him. Popp also knew that if it wasn't for Trestman, he'd be unemployed so there's no way that Popp would ever do anything bad  to Trestman. They won together in Montreal so they had a trustworthy relationship established. There's nothing like that between Reed & Claybrooks. I just get the impression that Reed would throw Claybrooks under the bus first chance he gets when the losing continues. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Trestman had Popp who believed in him. Popp also knew that if it wasn't for Trestman, he'd be unemployed so there's no way that Popp would ever do anything bad  to Trestman. They won together in Montreal so they had a trustworthy relationship established. There's nothing like that between Reed & Claybrooks. I just get the impression that Reed would throw Claybrooks under the bus first chance he gets when the losing continues. 

Yeah exactly. The issue is reed all the way. A good GM would make mtl a decent fit they could tear down and build. montreal is a great cfl market. The pipeline is crazy deep. The sooner the league can get that market cleaned up the better. It would be great to see each franchise with strong management.

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yeah exactly. The issue is reed all the way. A good GM would make mtl a decent fit they could tear down and build. montreal is a great cfl market. The pipeline is crazy deep. The sooner the league can get that market cleaned up the better. It would be great to see each franchise with strong management.

Hervey would have been the logical choice to do that but Andrew Wettenhall seems to think Reed makes a better GM. 

Why are some disappointed in a guy like Claybrooks advancing.....It's the same for players heading down south...it's a bloody advancement and with more pay...Upset cuz he  might move on...lol...If you think about it he would be going to a dumpster fire in Mont. AND weakening a top flight rival...He does put together one heck of a defence that would leave Cal. in a binder....What the hell do we care if they can't replace him...unless of course you're a stumps fan.

55 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Why are some disappointed in a guy like Claybrooks advancing.....It's the same for players heading down south...it's a bloody advancement and with more pay...Upset cuz he  might move on...lol...If you think about it he would be going to a dumpster fire in Mont. AND weakening a top flight rival...He does put together one heck of a defence that would leave Cal. in a binder....What the hell do we care if they can't replace him...unless of course you're a stumps fan.

Plus I'd take Noel Thorpe over Richie hall any day