Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

Here's what I expect from the Ticats D based on what I've seen watching the league over (mumble) decades:

1)  the players will be feeling the heat and will be extra jacked up and flying around...

2) but the change in routine and the extra adrenaline will make for confusion and chaos and busts.

The Tim Burke coaching change in mid-2012 was the huge glaring exception to this. The Bombers played like garden slugs with chronic fatigue syndrome in the game after Lapo got canned.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

Here's what I expect from the Ticats D based on what I've seen watching the league over (mumble) decades:

1)  the players will be feeling the heat and will be extra jacked up and flying around...

2) but the change in routine and the extra adrenaline will make for confusion and chaos and busts.

The Tim Burke coaching change in mid-2012 was the huge glaring exception to this. The Bombers played like garden slugs with chronic fatigue syndrome in the game after Lapo got canned.

that game was on the road in Sask when the Riders were in their prime.  This game is at home for Hamilton, which helps.  Of course, Winnipeg in the O'Shea era plays better on the road.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Zontar, as a Ti Cat fan how much blame do you lay at the feet of Eric Tillman?

Without knowing the financial constraints placed on him by the owner, if there were any, I can't say.

Personally speaking (with no evidence to prove or disprove)

....after years of being able to attract, find and sign quality players on Austin/Tillman's watch only to have a seemingly and suddenly bare cupboard this year at certain positions is suspicious to me.

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

No big surprise there. Another example of the Peter Principle at work and this ought to be the last hurrah for Mr. Reinbold in the CFL.

Austin erred on the side of caution with the hopes of continuity. Seemed wise at the time but with the luxury of hindsight he should have been hunting for a bonifide DC and not a placeholder like Reinbold

17 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Austin erred on the side of caution with the hopes of continuity. Seemed wise at the time but with the luxury of hindsight he should have been hunting for a bonifide DC and not a placeholder like Reinbold

time for Hamilton to experiment with Etch as D co-rdinator.  I have no sympathy for Reinebold whatsoever after what he did to soil Cal Murphy's legacy.

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Orlando Steinauer left big shoes to fill that Reinebold could not fill.    There seems to be an issue on offense too so cutting 1 wart doesn't necessarily cure the problem

This. I think the league / teams need to make it more desirable for COs to stay up here, progress and not go down south to college jobs. Not easy I know but it seems like we have a lack of quality COs in the league and more then a few former coaches who moved up to college jobs down south. 

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Without knowing the financial constraints placed on him by the owner, if there were any, I can't say.

Personally speaking (with no evidence to prove or disprove)

....after years of being able to attract, find and sign quality players on Austin/Tillman's watch only to have a seemingly and suddenly bare cupboard this year at certain positions is suspicious to me.

Same to me. The Cats worked hard to build a very good team & now it's just a shell barely 2 years later. We all know who the GM was in Edmonton who traded away Ricky Ray for virtually a bag of footballs 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This. I think the league / teams need to make it more desirable for COs to stay up here, progress and not go down south to college jobs. Not easy I know but it seems like we have a lack of quality COs in the league and more then a few former coaches who moved up to college jobs down south. 

Coaches need more money & benefits from pension to health & dental coverage. They get nothing like that at all. Some would stay if they had them. Not all but some. The good ones, anyway. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/08/ticats-make-lollley-dc-official-notes-practice/

Re Reinebold: 

• the Ticats have made Phillip Lolley’s appointment as defensive coordinator official and say that former DC Jeff Reinebold has been “offered an alternate position to stay with the organization.” There was no sign of Reinebold at practice today.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/08/ticats-make-lollley-dc-official-notes-practice/

Re Reinebold: 

• the Ticats have made Phillip Lolley’s appointment as defensive coordinator official and say that former DC Jeff Reinebold has been “offered an alternate position to stay with the organization.” There was no sign of Reinebold at practice today.

Personally I could never return to a workplace where I'd been demoted.  I'd be surprised if Reinebold remains with the team in any capacity.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

-Former #Ticats DC Jeff Reinebold says he’s ‘headed home’ 3downnation.com/2017/08/08/for… #CFL via @scratchingpost

where is home for him now?  I'd expect he'll wind up as special teams guy for some third rate college in the US South, with Mike Kelly being the receivers coach at the same school. 

25 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

where is home for him now?  I'd expect he'll wind up as special teams guy for some third rate college in the US South, with Mike Kelly being the receivers coach at the same school. 

Its Hawaii and then London for the NFL season.