Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

McDuffie totally would have been worth it - he was a very capable receiver when we needed him....  would have been great replacement for Dressler if he's injured

I doubt very much McDuffie signed for big bucks...  probably a few bonuses thrown in

Nothing wrong with having more than two returners on a team

Who would you have released to make room on the roster for McDuffie? 

40 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere else... but I didn't see it...

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/31/andy-mulumba-bombers-property-signed-la-rams/

Andy Mulumba signs with the Rams

....in this vein, apparently Geoff Gray is having a great camp with the Pack....good for him.

Just now, Noeller said:

....in this vein, apparently Geoff Gray is having a great camp with the Pack....good for him.

DOH! I mean, yay.. good on the kid.  I wish for him to have a long and prosperous career down South.

40 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere else... but I didn't see it...

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/31/andy-mulumba-bombers-property-signed-la-rams/

Andy Mulumba signs with the Rams

Dangit.  I was hoping that he would trickle down this season.. oh well..

whats the status of Bilakudi?  He retire?

Just now, Noeller said:

....It's where he's from....he lives in Ottawa and has retired into a business life.

ah.  I see.  well, damn.  official burnt pick. 

guess can't win em all.. Mululmba is starting to look like it could go that way too if he keeps landing gigs down south..

10 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

In Ottawa?  well colour me confused.  Did we drop his rights or trade them?

He retired in mid-August last year after attending NY Jets TC and just leaving. His family settled in Ottawa when they immigrated here and that's basically his Canadian hometown. IIRC, though, the Bombers still hold his CFL rights.

Here's a good read as to why he chose to hang up the cleats: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/why-nfl-player-christo-bilukidi-left-the-big-show-to-come-home-to-ottawa

“I fell out of love with the game,” the 27-year-old said. “Going to practice wasn’t fun. Going to meetings wasn’t fun. I was going through the motions instead of having the drive to play.

“I remember talking to Richard Seymour my first year in Oakland — I was his backup. We were having breakfast and he told me, ‘Whether you play two years or 10 years in this league, there will be a point where it isn’t fun and that’s when you have to walk away. You can’t be 99.99 per cent in, you have to be 100 per cent in.’

“When I was with the Jets in training camp, I was in a meeting thinking, ‘I don’t want to be here.’ I told my agent. He said to take a couple of days before making a decision. So then I pulled the trigger, I told my agent to let the Jets know I was leaving. I got a call from the defensive-line coach. He told me I had an opportunity. I told him I appreciated that, but football just wasn’t for me anymore.”

Bilukidi’s CFL rights belong to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who selected him in the third round of the 2012 CFL draft. The Jets will retain his NFL rights until September. It sure doesn’t sounds as if he’s coming back — NFL, CFL or anywhere — else to play football, though.

“I have no interest in playing, none at all,” Bilukidi said. “People ask me about the Redblacks, I say, ‘No, they have their guys, they have their players.’ I’ve moved on. I’m done with football.”

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

He retired in mid-August last year after attending NY Jets TC and just leaving. His family settled in Ottawa when they immigrated here and that's basically his Canadian hometown. IIRC, though, the Bombers still hold his CFL rights.

Here's a good read as to why he chose to hang up the cleats: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/why-nfl-player-christo-bilukidi-left-the-big-show-to-come-home-to-ottawa

yup, cant blame him then.  if your heart and head ain't in it.. time to move on..  always the small hope that he may get the itch back after sitting at home for a year but yea, can't fault him for retiring if hes just fallen out of love with the game.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Sounds like maybe he should have come to the CFL sooner instead of going through the NFL meat grinder all the time. 

You make an interesting point. He was basically a rotational player at best, dressing for 24 games with four teams in as many seasons. That's gotta be tough on a player's confidence and patience, IMO.

Makes you wonder what he could've been, anyway. 6'5" and pushing close 300lbs. is a pretty good frame for a DT in the CFL.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Who would have thought the Ticats would be the biggest gong-show so far this season?

I'm a little offended to be honest. Who the hell do they think they are?  OK, that's it, we are signing Chris Carter. First father and son receiving duo in football history. Take that Kent

Edited by Ripper

34 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I'm a little offended to be honest. Who the hell do they think they are?  OK, that's it, we are signing Chris Carter. First father and son receiving duo in football history. Take that Kent

Don't tell that to Jones, he might just consider it!

36 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Hey, don't lose heart, its a long season. Chris Jones could be caught working out players on another team's neg list. Duron Carter start a fight in practice. The Riders could lose the LDC by 3 tds and follow that up with a 65-0 loss in the Banjo Bowl. Anything is possible.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Hey, don't lose heart, its a long season. Chris Jones could be caught working out players on another team's neg list. Duron Carter start a fight in practice. The Riders could lose the LDC by 3 tds and follow that up with a 65-0 loss in the Banjo Bowl. Anything is possible.

You won't beat us again this year. 

Just now, rebusrankin said:

My nipples are like diamonds...

45 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

and these are just the most likely ones!

4 hours ago, Ripper said:

You won't beat us again this year. 

That must mean you'll be doing us the service of beating yourselves? 

Rip-roaring funny prose you offer. Kind of like saying Kevin Glenn will continue his stellar play. Kevin Glenn. 

By beating Hamilton and Johnny Sears, you have lifted the level of your play to that of your tallest two-story building in Regina. One, where the AC works for EVERYONE. 

But I'll take our pros over your prose, so we'll see you in 4 weeks?

Oh, and have fun in BC..

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Well...back to normal (ab?) for Carter, and his mouth...

Chris Jones unimpressed by Carter’s boast to media that he hopes to top The Catch w/ behind-the-back TD in weeks ahead. - @rodpedersen #CFL

Why can't he shut his mouth and play football? Yeah he played well last week but it was his first time all season doing anything. Just play the game. I'm so tired of hearing this guy speak. 

6 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Chris Jones unimpressed by Carter’s boast to media

Good example of tinting to get a rise out of people.

This could have been stated "Duron Carter said he hopes to keep working and improve his performance each and every game"

But that would not get noticed.

football fans are like Jackfish, they'll bite on anything.

Police news statement  "Football player Duron Carter risked his own life, by jumping in front of bus, saving a child from sure death"

Child's parent"  "While we appreciate this,  my wife and I feel that this is really just another attention grabbing move by loud mouth Carter!"

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Good example of tinting to get a rise out of people.

This could have been stated "Duron Carter said he hopes to keep working and improve his performance each and every game"

But that would not get noticed.

football fans are like Jackfish, they'll bite on anything.

Police news statement  "Football player Duron Carter risked his own life, by jumping in front of bus, saving a child from sure death"

Child's parent"  "While we appreciate this,  my wife and I feel that this is really just another attention grabbing move by loud mouth Carter!"

You don't think that predicting he will make a behind-the-back TD is boastful?