Passport aside...

Mark H.

24 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Harris is doing this at the age of 30 Charles Roberts had been out of football  for 2 years by the time he was 30. 

That's a little unfair considering Charles Roberts played 8 years in the CFL and this is Harris's 8th season... Roberts also had about 800 more carries then Harris has in his career. The wear and tear the 5'6 running back took over the years there's no wonder he was done by 30.

Harris but id take both. 

I say Harris because hes more of a dual threat than Blink was. But i guess.. The question should be Blink or Flanders and its Blink in my opinion.

Its hard to ignore the passport eventho the topic says to but.. I dont think its easy to ignore. The Hometown boy... Its hard to ignore that

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I think some of you are forgetting how good Roberts was... He was a great pass catching back too and he didput in effort blocking when asked. The only major plus for Harris is his attitude. Harris is good and a Canadian, but Roberts was better. 

Well, there is no doubt that is Harris is the superior blocker.   Back in the day, I remembering wondering why Chuck Diesel wasn't used more as a release valve.

Was Roberts really that much of a head case? I mean, he  missed a few practices over the course of his career, and sure, he wasn't the most mature player you could have found, but I can't recall him being that much of a distraction or a locker room cancer. The guy was young and people tend to make some mistakes in their twenties. Overall, I think what he did on the field far outweighs whatever he did off the field.

Jesus Christ people, when Lapo was here before, I think 2003 Roberts was our #3 in receptions. Harris is a great receiver out of the backfield but let's not act like Roberts wasn't. He was a much better runner than Harris and that tips the scales. Roberts routinely made guys look like assholes when they should have had him dead to rights.

1 minute ago, aalgernon said:

Was Roberts really that much of a head case? I mean, he  missed a few practices over the course of his career, and sure, he wasn't the most mature player you could have found, but I can't recall him being that much of a distraction or a locker room cancer. The guy was young and people tend to make some mistakes in their twenties. Overall, I think what he did on the field far outweighs whatever he did off the field.

Was more about he didn't put in a lot of effort off the field. If he put in the effort that a guy like milt did to be the best he could be his legacy would have been insane. As it was though he was a guy with a ton of God given talent and just rolled with that.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Was more about he didn't put in a lot of effort off the field. If he put in the effort that a guy like milt did to be the best he could be his legacy would have been insane. As it was though he was a guy with a ton of God given talent and just rolled with that.

Yeah, I guess, but a lot of guys could fall into that category. The dude did his job and was freakin' great at it. Can you really ask for more?

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

On the point of the game changing, Roberts was a good pass catcher, no doubt in my mind he could be involved in that part of the game more. I love Harris but Roberts is one of the best of all time.

Oh and Leo Lewis over both.

I don't mean more passing just more blocking/inside running - maybe I'm wrong - trying to think who's a small rb in the league right now

Do we think that the tackling form has improved since Roberts played and that the defensive backs have been coached up better for committing and taking the correct angles on getting the running back? I mean from watching the replay it looked like Roberts did a good job of jumping around people and getting them to miss but I wonder if in this day and age if those moves would even work?  

48 minutes ago, aalgernon said:

I had Roberts sprint past me under the west grandstand after practise, trying to get to the back door of the locker room so he wouldn't get spotted by reporters.

Yeah, he was a bit of a head case.

2 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

Do we think that the tackling form has improved since Roberts played and that the defensive backs have been coached up better for committing and taking the correct angles on getting the running back? I mean from watching the replay it looked like Roberts did a good job of jumping around people and getting them to miss but I wonder if in this day and age if those moves would even work?  

Yeah the games changed a lot. Now most teams run a zone option out of pistol or shotgun which I think when done properly usually allows a running back for a better opportunity because the QB should be making the proper read on the play compared to when you used to see the QB under center on almost every play. On a side note It's so awkward seeing older videos of QB's dropping back far enough under center so that they could throw the ball. No wonder completion percentage has gone up as a whole. Shot gun/pistol allows for a quicker release. 

Charles Roberts would run into a mass of humanity and pop out the other side while the defense is looking at each other trying to find him. As for a receiver, he was better than good it is just you had the likes of Milt, Gordon and Bruce(You could add DA in there too) that were usually the release valve, AKA throw it up and let one of them find it. It is scary how often it worked. The 2 years with Blink and Sellers were 2 of my most favorite years, you either had to deal with a guy you could not tackle because he made you miss or the guy that you did not want to tackle cause you ended up on the wrong side of a mac truck.

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Charles Roberts body with Andrew Harris' brain.

I think some of us are forgetting just how good CR was...

Yep. He was something special, as is Mr. Harris.