Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

not following the math on this one....

Which part?  Its confusing to me too (math never my strong suit) but one mistake I often see if people looking at a players full salary vs cap space remaining.  Since the players isnt acquired until he deadline, their salary is pro-rated as they have far less than the full amount owed to them.  So bringing in a player with a $4.5 million cap hit translates to only a percentage of that against the cap since the Jets arent responsible for the salary he already received.

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I love the kid... Have known him his whole life...... But he's never played a second of organized hockey. Great writer, but I am not a fan of people who've never played the game, at any level, telling me what's up... 

So, you'd prefer Kyperos, PJ Stock and Millbury?

I've seen you say this before & I just honestly disagree completely.   Some former players or coaches are great analysts or writers, others are putrid.  

Plus, this isn't the 70s anymore where fans get their news from the paper and TV.   The former player or coach used to take us into parts of the pro sports universe none of us saw glimpses of before, now we're in the locker rooms seconds after games, interviewing coaches mid-game,  getting stats we've never heard of, let alone understand.  Social media has opened up so many more avenues for people to educate themselves on the game, and folks like Murat and many others are far more hockey educated then some dude with only few yrs of playing exp and no skills talking or writing about it. 

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

So, you'd prefer Kyperos, PJ Stock and Millbury?

I've seen you say this before & I just honestly disagree completely.   Some former players or coaches are great analysts or writers, others are putrid.  

Plus, this isn't the 70s anymore where fans get their news from the paper and TV.   The former player or coach used to take us into parts of the pro sports universe none of us saw glimpses of before, now we're in the locker rooms seconds after games, interviewing coaches mid-game,  getting stats we've never heard of, let alone understand.  Social media has opened up so many more avenues for people to educate themselves on the game, and folks like Murat and many others are far more hockey educated then some dude with only few yrs of playing exp and no skills talking or writing about it. 

...that's not to say the experience doesn't help.  Shane Hnidy is a great example.  But to me, he's so good at what he does because he's so polished at the craft.   Being a former player didn't make him a great analyst, it just helped get his feet in the door. 

The non-hockey-experienced "analysts" would be a lot more bearable if they didn't think their opinions were the gold standard just because they have some numbers attached.  Gotta love the analytics nerds and cap-junkies who criticize GMs and coaches like they actually have any clue at all.  My biggest pet peeve is "line optimization"... gimme a break.  It's like the pesudoscience of the sports world.

They over-value statistical analysis and undervalue anything that can't be directly quantified.  And the worst of them draw shoddy conclusions from numbers that don't say what they think they do.

I think there is a place for statistical analysis but it would be nice if the goofballs who swear by it also acknowledged its gaps and shortcomings.

I will never ever understand the idea that Shane Hindy was a good colour analyst. The list of good analysts begins and ends with Ray Ferraro. Everyone else is shades of "I understand the game, but I no communicate so good..." 

Just now, Atomic said:

The non-hockey-experienced "analysts" would be a lot more bearable if they didn't think their opinions were the gold standard just because they have some numbers attached.  Gotta love the analytics nerds and cap-junkies who criticize GMs and coaches like they actually have any clue at all.  My biggest pet peeve is "line optimization"... gimme a break.  It's like the pesudoscience of the sports world.

They over-value statistical analysis and undervalue anything that can't be directly quantified.  And the worst of them draw shoddy conclusions from numbers that don't say what they think they do.

I think there is a place for statistical analysis but it would be nice if the goofballs who swear by it also acknowledged its gaps and shortcomings.

They make me laugh, because analytics nerds are just that... Nerds.... Desperately wanted to be cool sports guys, but sucked at sports, so here's their way to contribute.... 

Analytics are all fine and good as something to talk about but it's not as important as some want to make it out to be. It's just one extra tool... Set of information... To use in among everything else that already exists. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Which part?  Its confusing to me too (math never my strong suit) but one mistake I often see if people looking at a players full salary vs cap space remaining.  Since the players isnt acquired until he deadline, their salary is pro-rated as they have far less than the full amount owed to them.  So bringing in a player with a $4.5 million cap hit translates to only a percentage of that against the cap since the Jets arent responsible for the salary he already received.

ok fair enough.  I'm no expert that's for sure.  Thanks for the explanation.

45 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The Boston Bruins have acquired defenceman Nick Holden from the New York Rangers for a 2018 third-round pick and defenceman Rob O'Gara. In 55 games so far this season, Holden has three goals and nine assists. He is scheduled to become a free agent in July.

Late slip.  ;-)

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

analytics nerds are just that... Nerds..

You sound a bit like an " I walked to school, and home,  it was  uphill both ways, when I was a kid" guy.

Do you think pro sports teams don't have people doing this stuff?

I just looked up Kyle Dubas Toronto Maples Leafs  assistant General Manager described in Toronto Star as 

" numbers-savvy whiz kid with an affinity for the advanced analytics hockey"

I would be amazed if the Jets didn't have such a guy in their ranks.

But I agree, a lot of sports media guys do seem to have very high opinions of themselves and their wisdom/knowledge/pronouncements. And it is irritating.

Edited by Mark F