Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interesting discussion this morning about Kane and how his stock has fallen lately.  He could be the steal of the deadline...or the bust.

I've posted a few times over the last two months... the guy started off hot and went into a nose dive....  unfortunately for Buffalo he would of brought in a better reward had they traded him before X-Mas.

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've posted a few times over the last two months... the guy started off hot and went into a nose dive....  unfortunately for Buffalo he would of brought in a better reward had they traded him before X-Mas.

Did it coincide with his "disagreement" in practice?  Seems his team might have got sick of him and he's sulking. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did it coincide with his "disagreement" in practice?  Seems his team might have got sick of him and he's sulking. 

That was Jan 10.   In the preceding 43 games, he had 16 goals and 19 assists for 35 points.  In the next 17 games he has had 3 goals and 1 assist (that's 4 points for all you math whizzes out there).

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That was Jan 10.   In the preceding 43 games, he had 16 goals and 19 assists for 35 points.  In the next 17 games he has had 3 goals and 1 assist (that's 4 points for all you math whizzes out there).

So it would seem to be a possibility that his dispute with the team led to his sudden decline?   Maybe a Buffalo player should have tossed his clothes into the tub to force his exit.  Kane is only hurting himself.  Wherever he ends up at the deadline, he needs a really strong rest of the season and playoffs to cash in this summer.

20 hours ago, Atomic said:

That has turned out to be a great signing but it's exactly what I'm talking about.  He was coming off the worst season of his career and had injury problems, and we gave him 4M+ to come here.  No chance he gets even close to that anywhere else.  Winnipeg has to work harder than other clubs to find gems like that because we can't just reach out to the number one guy on the market.

FWIW, it's the same contract the Panthers gave him in July of 2014. I'm not sure how much the Jets had to "overpay" him to sign here, though.

19 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Players like Trouba will come and likely go, but we're in year 7 and him, Kane and maybe Bogosian are the only ones I can think of who've wanted out.

Trouba did rescind his trade request after re-signing last season and there hasn't been a whisper of him wanting out since then. I still have to wonder if he re-signs a long-term deal this off-season, though. I'd sure hate to lose him, that's for sure.

I had no idea Bogosian wanted out. He seemed to really enjoy his time here, being an outdoors type and all.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

FWIW, it's the same contract the Panthers gave him in July of 2014. I'm not sure how much the Jets had to "overpay" him to sign here, though.

Trouba did rescind his trade request after re-signing last season and there hasn't been a whisper of him wanting out since then. I still have to wonder if he re-signs a long-term deal this off-season, though. I'd sure hate to lose him, that's for sure.

I had no idea Bogosian wanted out. He seemed to really enjoy his time here, being an outdoors type and all.

I won't pretend I know what happens with Trouba.  If he re-signs long term at huge dollars, I wouldn't be shocked.   If he's moved, then he probably always did want out, and that shouldn't shock us either.  

The Bogo stuff came out after the trade, IIRC.  

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That's a really good point actually.  He got the same deal from the Jets after two dreadful, injury-plagued seasons that he got from the Panthers when he was still a young, promising top-15 pick RFA.

Let's not re-write history here.... there were huge doubts about Kulikov going into the free agency period.  He was not close to being the number one defenceman on the market.  He was a reclamation project in every sense of the term.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Jets signed arguably the #1 goalie and #1D available in Free agency.

Arguably?   Would love to hear that argument.   In the off season, you had Kulikov ranked above players like Shattenkirk and Alzner?     Ryan Miller and Brian Elliott were the main FA goalies everyone was talking about until we signed Mason.    

Both Kulikov and Mason were coming off "down" years and we paid market price based on them having "average" years.  It is great that Kulikov has turned out (Mason has been too injured to really pass judgement, which in itself isn't great), but lets not re-write history.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Arguably?   Would love to hear that argument.   In the off season, you had Kulikov ranked above players like Shattenkirk and Alzner?     Ryan Miller and Brian Elliott were the main FA goalies everyone was talking about until we signed Mason.    

Both Kulikov and Mason were coming off "down" years and we paid market price based on them having "average" years.  It is great that Kulikov has turned out (Mason has been too injured to really pass judgement, which in itself isn't great), but lets not re-write history.

Shattenkirk was always linked to the Rangers.  Elliott was talked about a lot, not so much Miller in my recollection.  Elliott was believed to be a Jets target but I definitely recall Mason's name being mentioned but it being deemed he was out of the Jets league so to speak.  We can argue Elliott vs Mason.  Most everyone around here was happy to get Mason though.

Also, thats why I wrote arguably.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Shattenkirk was always linked to the Rangers.  Elliott was talked about a lot, not so much Miller in my recollection.  Elliott was believed to be a Jets target but I definitely recall Mason's name being mentioned but it being deemed he was out of the Jets league so to speak.  We can argue Elliott vs Mason.  Most everyone around here was happy to get Mason though.

Also, thats why I wrote arguably.

So because a player is "linked" to another team we get to take him out of the equation when we judge who got the best player?    Thats not saying we got the best player, thats saying we got the best player willing to sign with us, which is true 100% of the time as long as we were willing to and we wanted to sign them.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

So because a player is "linked" to another team we get to take him out of the equation when we judge who got the best player?    Thats not saying we got the best player, thats saying we got the best player willing to sign with us, which is true 100% of the time as long as we were willing to and we wanted to sign them.

"Among the" can be retroactively added to my statement which doesnt change my point whatsoever but might make it easier for you to digest.

Just now, sweep the leg said:

Last year's fa class was really weak, which is how a guy like Mason can be considered near the top for his position. I'm assuming we were also the only team willing to pay him starter money.

Kulikov was nowhere near the most wanted fa dman. I should point out though, again, that I called his resurgence and us signing him...

Among...Alzner and Kulikov?  Well, Kulikov came with a shorter contract and less money.  I recall some people thinking he sucked but most people had him highly rated as a talented D man.  Im not sure Jets would have wanted Alzner for his ask but certainly he was the top D.

But my point was clearly the Jets identified D and G as weaknesses and went after "AMONG THE" best available.  We dont have to turn this into a six page discussion over semantics.  Both Mason and Kulikov would have had multiple offers.  lol

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Among...Alzner and Kulikov?  Well, Kulikov came with a shorter contract and less money.  I recall some people thinking he sucked but most people had him highly rated as a talented D man.  Im not sure Jets would have wanted Alzner for his ask but certainly he was the top D.

But my point was clearly the Jets identified D and G as weaknesses and went after "AMONG THE" best available.  We dont have to turn this into a six page discussion over semantics.  Both Mason and Kulikov would have had multiple offers.  lol

If you don't want these kinds of reactions to your posts, don't exaggerate to try and make your point of view more compelling.    "#1" to "among the best" is vastly different.  

The number of FA goalies available and the number of teams looking pretty much matched up.  As long we were willing to shell out, was pretty sure we were going to get a goalie.    Kulikov was a risk based on the season he was coming off of, especially for what we signed him for.

Great we signed both of them, don't think it is as back of a coup for the Jets as your original post was trying to make.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought Mason was a great pickup. Kuli had the worst +/- in the league last year or close to it so i was not crazy about him. Maybe hes really good or just better then Stuart/Chiarot.

Yeah, on a complete garbage pile of a team. Not all that different than Ekman-Larsson this season but I'd take him on the Jets in a heartbeat.

Kulikov is considerably better than both Stuart and Chiarot. I don't think he's a top pairing defenseman but easily top 4.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

If you don't want these kinds of reactions to your posts, don't exaggerate to try and make your point of view more compelling.    "#1" to "among the best" is vastly different.  

The number of FA goalies available and the number of teams looking pretty much matched up.  As long we were willing to shell out, was pretty sure we were going to get a goalie.    Kulikov was a risk based on the season he was coming off of, especially for what we signed him for.

Great we signed both of them, don't think it is as back of a coup for the Jets as your original post was trying to make.

I forgot about Alzner.  My bad.  Otherwise point still stands.  Both were top targets at their position and both signed with the Jets. 

10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought Mason was a great pickup. Kuli had the worst +/- in the league last year or close to it so i was not crazy about him. Maybe hes really good or just better then Stuart/Chiarot.

Kuli was a talented but played for an awful team.  He was a great target by Winnipeg who got him for fair market value but a shorter term than other D.  They certainly banked on his poor season being an aberration and they were correct.

My recollection is both were the Jets' prime targets (maybe Elliott was in there too as he was linked to Winnipeg for awhile).