Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Grabner for a 2nd rounder and an AHL'er was a good deal for the Devils... I hope this sets to trading bar at a nice low for the Jets...

I thought the same thing.  Then I saw some online chatter saying it was *raising* the price from a 3rd rounder.  But it seems pretty reasonable to me.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Hopefully Dorion has a soft spot for Wpg... seems to be lots of chatter between Jets and Sens. 

I think we end up missing out on Brassard.... Pit and Stl are sniffing.  Maybe Pagaeu is the consolation prize. 

I'd like to see Kane in Pittsburgh.  Could be a great fit there.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

We could outbid pens but will we?

How much would you be willing to part with?

I'm okay giving up Petan, draft picks and one of Dano / Matthias / Hendricks if the return is right.   Is Brassard worth it?

I think I might prefer an addition at FW and a D if we part with all that.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

How much would you be willing to part with?

I'm okay giving up Petan, draft picks and one of Dano / Matthias / Hendricks if the return is right.   Is Brassard worth it?

I think I might prefer an addition at FW and a D if we part with all that.

Pens have cap issues and Ottawa reportedly wants no part of retaining salary or taking back much salary.  For the Pens, they'd need a second deal to free space or have to have Ottawa take back a player with some salary.  Winnipeg has a *little* bit more wiggle room (if they want, they can push their bonuses to next season). 

I like Brassard but I cant speculate on what I think he's worth.  There are better people here to speculate on that.  I would think Petan would be attractive to Ottawa as a cheap player on his ELC.  Dano would be decent as well.  I'd guess our 1st round pick does it, maybe with a lower tier draft pick.  But would Chevy give up the 1st for Brassard?

Josh Bailey is sticking with the New York Islanders for the long haul.

The team announced a six-year extension for the Bowmanville, Ont. native that keeps him with the club through the 2023-2024 season.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports the deal carries an average annual value of $5 million.

Dreger on Buffalo radio this morning...

“The Winnipeg Jets also keen on Derick Brassard. So it feels like, unless David Poile comes in and makes a deal on Rick Nash or something like that, it feels like Derick Brassard is the most likely next piece to go.”

McKenzie on our own 1290...

Michael Grabner was dealt to the New Jersey Devils on Thursday night, and McKenzie thinks the Jets were in that mix.

“I believe there were. I believe the Jets are in on a lot of people,” said McKenzie. “I believe the Jets were in on Grabner. I think the Jets have been talking to the Rangers about Rick Nash. I think the Jets have been all over the Ottawa Senators on Derick Brassard. Whether they get guys or not remains to be seen. “The situation with Brassard is an interesting one because I think Pittsburgh is all over him too. So that’ll be interesting. Pittsburgh thinks he’s the answer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brassard has some control over the situation because I think he’s got a modified no-trade, and whether Winnipeg would be included or not included in the list of teams that he would go to… I’m not sure, I don’t know that for a fact. So there’s lot of moving parts there, but I don’t think there’s any question that the Jets have been very busy and active in trying to find both improvements up front and maybe depth on the blueline as well.”

Friedman, re: Rick Nash, on Cgy's 960 this AM....

I still think Winnipeg is going to be an interesting one in all of this. I think St. Louis has yet to fire its bullets. All of the sudden they’re looking at Calgary right behind them and worried about where they’re going to be. So I think St. Louis is going to be in on this stuff. I think Winnipeg is going to be in on this stuff. I think Tampa obviously is going to be in on a lot of this stuff.

and Friedman, re: Brassard...

“I think Brassard is going,” noted Friedman. “I’ve heard that there’s about seven teams that have asked about Brassard legitimately. I think Pittsburgh is in there. I think St. Louis is in there. I think Winnipeg is in there. And I think there is more.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/insiders-update-nhl-trade-market-headed-into-weekend/

Edited by Jimmy Pop
link.

The no-trade clause issue is worth noting in this more focused scenario.  If you're Brassard and you can choose Pens or Jets, what do you choose?  I mean, he might choose Winnipeg (maybe he likes Canada).  But its hard not to see the Pens as the better chance to win the cup and a better place to spend next season.

Thats the problem with the deadline, you have to bid against other teams.  Grabner would have been nice as he has a small cap hit and is a UFA (I think), has speed and would help the PK etc.  Brassard is the better player (but more expensive).  Grabner doesnt drive possession as well.  Maroon would be okay too.  He might be a "disappointment" if we only get him (if we get anyone) but be a big deal in the playoffs.