Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

43 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If a player is more concerned about his part time residence instead of winning a cup... I’ll pass

Hoffman has another year.

But otherwise, I agree with your opinion! It's a few months and your life will be disrupted no matter where you go.

49 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If a player is more concerned about his part time residence instead of winning a cup... I’ll pass

That would be a valid conclusion only if Winnipeg was the only destination capable of winning a cup.  If a player wants to move to Tampa Bay or Vegas, they're getting the cup contender and the nice part-time residence.

1. Pittsburgh
  2. Vegas
  3. Tampa Bay
  4. Washington
  5. Boston
  6. Toronto
  7. Nashville
  8. Dallas
  9. San Jose
  10. Los Angeles

There are ten teams who could legitimately be viewed as contenders and every single one is a more attractive place to live... at least on the surface.

And it's not just about Player X.  It's about Player X's wife and kids.  And every single place on that list is an easier sell than Winnipeg.  "Hey babe, I need to put in a list of ten places I won't go.  Any thoughts?"  Yeah.... Winnipeg will be on that list.

I love Winnipeg.  But it will never be a prime destination for NHL players.  It will be at the bottom of the list for *most* (not all!).  There will be exceptions, of course, but in general.... people don't want to come here.  That's just reality.

Its an old argument.  There are players who control their destiny and being honest, if you could do you current job in Winnipeg, Las Vegas, Tampa, Vancouver, New York etc, would you choose Winnipeg?  Now would you if you had never lived here before?  Especially if you knew nothing about it?   But...add in the fact that that you had a better chance of getting a big bonus in Winnipeg, does that change things?

We've seen the "no one will sign in Winnipeg" thing is over blown as the Jets have signed their free agents and brought in some others. 

Winning changes everything.  And Winnipeg is new to winning.

I would suspect the Jets could change the minds of some players though.  They are routinely linked to Nash and havent been dismissed like with Hoffman so either they werent on Nash's no-go list or they feel they can convince him otherwise.  Nash is a pending UFA so coming to Winnipeg would be a brief move for a chance to win.

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its an old argument.  There are players who control their destiny and being honest, if you could do you current job in Winnipeg, Las Vegas, Tampa, Vancouver, New York etc, would you choose Winnipeg?  Now would you if you had never lived here before?  Especially if you knew nothing about it?   But...add in the fact that that you had a better chance of getting a big bonus in Winnipeg, does that change things?

We've seen the "no one will sign in Winnipeg" thing is over blown as the Jets have signed their free agents and brought in some others. 

Winning changes everything.  And Winnipeg is new to winning.

I would suspect the Jets could change the minds of some players though.  They are routinely linked to Nash and havent been dismissed like with Hoffman so either they werent on Nash's no-go list or they feel they can convince him otherwise.  Nash is a pending UFA so coming to Winnipeg would be a brief move for a chance to win.

Its not overblown at all.  Just because we have signed a few mid tier free agents over the course of seven years it doesn't mean the argument is overblown.  Yes, players will come here if they have very few alternatives and we overpay.  Yes, players who already play here are more likely to sign because they know the reality of Winnipeg is not as bad as the reputation.

But to players who have never played here, reputation is everything.  And Winnipeg the city does not have a good rep.  You think those Sharks players talking **** about Winnipeg are the exception?  No... of course not.  Winnipeg is at the bottom of most players' lists of places to go.  Believing otherwise is just being wilfully naive.

Just now, Atomic said:

Its not overblown at all.  Just because we have signed a few mid tier free agents over the course of seven years it doesn't mean the argument is overblown.  Yes, players will come here if they have very few alternatives and we overpay.  Yes, players who already play here are more likely to sign because they know the reality of Winnipeg is not as bad as the reputation.

But to players who have never played here, reputation is everything.  And Winnipeg the city does not have a good rep.  You think those Sharks players talking **** about Winnipeg are the exception?  No... of course not.  Winnipeg is at the bottom of most players' lists of places to go.  Believing otherwise is just being wilfully naive.

Nope.  The original "no one wants to sign in Winnipeg" thing is vastly over blown.  Or else all of our players would have left and no one would have come here.  That some players dont have Winnipeg on the top of their lists is not a surprise as many teams are included on no-trade lists all the time.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nope.  The original "no one wants to sign in Winnipeg" thing is vastly over blown.  Or else all of our players would have left and no one would have come here.  That some players dont have Winnipeg on the top of their lists is not a surprise as many teams are included on no-trade lists all the time.

I remember John Ferguson always being frustrated by the NMC's back in the 1980's.  He wanted Chris Nilan in Winnipeg so bad, but he wouldn't move.  

48 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It's only overblown if you think "no one" literally means "no one".  Like I said, players who have played here know it's not so bad.  I never thought we'd have much trouble re-signing players.

But attracting free agents and trade targets remains a challenge for Winnipeg more than any other market.  There is no other way to look at it.  Sorry but you're just being silly if you think anyone who hasn't lived here thinks this is a desirable place to go.

We hear it again and again.  Players don't want to come here.  We're the most-cited city on no-trade lists.  We've never signed a top free agent.  We get day 3 free agents and reclamation projects.  Why deny it?  It's obvious.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

It's only overblown if you think "no one" literally means "no one".  Like I said, players who have played here know it's not so bad.  I never thought we'd have much trouble re-signing players.

But attracting free agents and trade targets remains a challenge for Winnipeg more than any other market.  There is no other way to look at it.  Sorry but you're just being silly if you think anyone who hasn't lived here thinks this is a desirable place to go.

We hear it again and again.  Players don't want to come here.  We're the most-cited city on no-trade lists.  We've never signed a top free agent.  We get day 3 free agents and reclamation projects.  Why deny it?  It's obvious.

We got Kulikov.  That was a pretty good FA signing.

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

We got Kulikov.  That was a pretty good FA signing.

That has turned out to be a great signing but it's exactly what I'm talking about.  He was coming off the worst season of his career and had injury problems, and we gave him 4M+ to come here.  No chance he gets even close to that anywhere else.  Winnipeg has to work harder than other clubs to find gems like that because we can't just reach out to the number one guy on the market.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That has turned out to be a great signing but it's exactly what I'm talking about.  He was coming off the worst season of his career and had injury problems, and we gave him 4M+ to come here.  No chance he gets even close to that anywhere else.  Winnipeg has to work harder than other clubs to find gems like that because we can't just reach out to the number one guy on the market.

I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.  Look at Edmonton signing Lucic - so glad we missed out on a "top" free agent there.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

We did have to pay a premium but I'm not sure that he could not have gotten close to that somewhere else. We'll never know.

I would guess that we pay a 10% premium on players? Taxes are definitely an issue.

I'm honestly surprised this is even a discussion.  It's bordering on delusional.  90% of people outside of Winnipeg view Winnipeg as a dump.  An entertainment-free, cultureless, crime-ridden, tundra bound wasteland.  Our reputation could literally not be worse.  It doesn't matter whether it's true or not because nobody in the NHL is going down the list, getting to Winnipeg, and saying "Hey maybe I need to do more research."  They start their no-trade list with Winnipeg and then think about who else they might like to add.

I believe that many thought the length of the contract was not good considering  the off year and coming back form an injury, in terms of money he was going to get that from anyone that was interested, Chevy just gave him an extra year taking an chance where others would not and it has worked out for him so far.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm honestly surprised this is even a discussion.  It's bordering on delusional.  90% of people outside of Winnipeg view Winnipeg as a dump.  An entertainment-free, cultureless, crime-ridden, tundra bound wasteland.  Our reputation could literally not be worse.  It doesn't matter whether it's true or not because nobody in the NHL is going down the list, getting to Winnipeg, and saying "Hey maybe I need to do more research."  They start their no-trade list with Winnipeg and then think about who else they might like to add.

I'm not debating, I agree with you.

I still would like to know what a player is thinking, when submitting their list, knowing they'll be a UFA at the end of the season. Why take a risk on a team that might not make the playoffs? Jets, at this point, are pretty safe. I would start with the safe teams, then add in a few other nice landing spots. You can make some serious money on your next paycheque, if you perform in the playoffs.