Qadr Spooner

5 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

nope it was chungh, but i was day off,  he extended on feb 14th through 2018 (so 2 more years)

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/14/bombers-extend-ol-sukh-chungh/

According to that link, "Chungh was entering the final year of his contract in 2017" which would mean he signed for 3 years initially.

3 hours ago, Jacquie said:

According to that link, "Chungh was entering the final year of his contract in 2017" which would mean he signed for 3 years initially.

Exactly. Everyone thought is was a two-year deal but it was actually a three (as I remember it).

It was a surprise re-signing (extension) because it came a year early and Walters was being praised.

Edited by JCon

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I specifically remember Darren Cameron reporting Chungh signed for two years initially.

Something must've gone unreported.

I'm very confused. I've now seen Dunk's article that says two years.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I highly doubt the team itself reported it's own signing incorrectly.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/14/bombers-extend-former-first-round-pick-chung-extension/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has extended the contract of offensive lineman Sukh Chungh through the 2018 season. Chungh was entering the final year of his contract in 2017.

Which means he had originally signed a three year deal....

Edited by TheAardvark

1 hour ago, TheAardvark said:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/14/bombers-extend-former-first-round-pick-chung-extension/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has extended the contract of offensive lineman Sukh Chungh through the 2018 season. Chungh was entering the final year of his contract in 2017.

Which means he had originally signed a three year deal....

That sounds pretty definitive.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

His first deal was definitely only 2 years... I remember the boards being unhappy because of this. 

I remember it vividly. What I think must have happened was a miscommunication to the public with his original deal. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I remember it vividly. What I think must have happened was a miscommunication to the public with his original deal. 

Or he had a two year deal and then was also extended for a year prior to this year.  Entering the final year of his contract doesn't necessarily mean entering the final year of his rookie contract.

But since the end result is he's still under contract, I don't really care which one it is.

It's like...which of my toes came flying out the woodchipper and which of my toes is still stuck in the woodchipper?  Does the answer change my day much?  Probably not.

I tend to think what happened is that after his phenomenal rookie year, they re-did his deal that offseason to give him a bit more cash right away in exchange for an additional season. Similar to what they did with Mo Leggett which, if I remember correctly, also went unannounced.

18 hours ago, Mike said:

I highly doubt the team itself reported it's own signing incorrectly.

Could have been as simple as a miscommunication. Could be that they extended him as well, although it would be irregular for a team not to announce that for a player of his stature.

2 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Could have been as simple as a miscommunication. Could be that they extended him as well, although it would be irregular for a team not to announce that for a player of his stature.

I'm just going off memory, but isn't that the offseason the Bombers switched from whoever it was doing their press releases to Rheanne? Maybe that's why.

Or maybe just classic miscommunication. Who knows.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm just going off memory, but isn't that the offseason the Bombers switched from whoever it was doing their press releases to Rheanne? Maybe that's why.

Or maybe just classic miscommunication. Who knows.

I'm not sure. I can't recall when that happened tbh. Not that any of this matters anyhoo....we have Sukh extended and that's all that matters.

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

That he re-upped three months ago...?

More than three months ago, actually. I didn't know it was through the 2018 season. Now I do, hence my saying it's great news.

And old news can still be great news, anyway.

Edited by blue_gold_84

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

His first deal was definitely only 2 years... I remember the boards being unhappy because of this. 

The first deal was originally thought to be 2 years, and the boards were unhappy.  But then the truth came out when he extended...   Its not the first time that we were unhappy based on inaccurate info...

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

The rookie contract was definitely two seasons...the local press wrote about it and about worrying if the club would lose him....

Apparently it wasn't definitely 2 seasons tho. The local press are wrong lots of times. Maybe it was 2 plus a club option for 3rd year. It's pretty obvious that it wasn't 2 years now. 

41 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Apparently it wasn't definitely 2 seasons tho. The local press are wrong lots of times. Maybe it was 2 plus a club option for 3rd year. It's pretty obvious that it wasn't 2 years now. 

Not that it matters, but for the sake of clarity: it was Darren Cameron who said this, so not exactly the local press.