CFL Draft

Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

it's the kind of year that could see 10 different analysts/bloggers create 10 completely different mock drafts... actually the CFL draft is usually like that!

42 minutes ago, tracker said:

An interesting article recently in the Freep mentioning Geoff Gray. His typical breakfast is 10-12 scrambled eggs and 5-6 chicken breasts. I am imagine his parents will be happy to get him out of the house SAP.

at least he can afford it now... plus chicken is much cheaper in the US...

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

How the hell he sees Vandervoort falling to 13 is beyond me. 

This mock is guilty of a lot of the reasons I've stopped doing them - it's tough to not get caught trying to build around certain picks that you know make sense.

Vandervoort at 4 everywhere is a classic example ... he could literally go anywhere in the first round, but everyone says #4 because it's what makes the best story - hometown kid going back to play with old coach at a position of need. Sure, it could happen but other teams need REC and Hamilton has other needs also. Nobody seems to pay much attention to the most important question - how does Hamilton feel about Vandervoort?

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

This mock is guilty of a lot of the reasons I've stopped doing them - it's tough to not get caught trying to build around certain picks that you know make sense.

Vandervoort at 4 everywhere is a classic example ... he could literally go anywhere in the first round, but everyone says #4 because it's what makes the best story - hometown kid going back to play with old coach at a position of need. Sure, it could happen but other teams need REC and Hamilton has other needs also. Nobody seems to pay much attention to the most important question - how does Hamilton feel about Vandervoort?

I still think Buono picks him but if there is any argument for one specific team and a specific prospect, its Vandevoort and Hamilton.... Ptasek recruited him and has worked with him for what three years?

13 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Ted Wyman @Ted_Wyman 12m12 minutes ago

Spoke to 2 agents today as well as Forde, Ferguson from TSN about #CFLDraft. Consensus is #Bombers most likely take DT Faith Ekakitie 1st

A little bit surprised because there seemed to be questions about his commitment to football...  but they're the ones doing the interviews 

Just now, sweep the leg said:

What don't you like about him?

From what I have heard about him, he is a low upside "safe" pick with minimal production in college. It is the downside of having the top pick that there is the feeling that they can't blow it by taking someone who may take a few years to get here. I suppose it's nice that he could theoretically play right away and it is an area of need but the pick itself is deeply underwhelming. Especially talent-wise compared to Ankou. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

From what I have heard about him, he is a low upside "safe" pick with minimal production in college. It is the downside of having the top pick that there is the feeling that they can't blow it by taking someone who may take a few years to get here. I suppose it's nice that he could theoretically play right away and it is an area of need but the pick itself is deeply underwhelming. Especially talent-wise compared to Ankou. 

Fair enough.

This seems like a draft where trading down would be the best option. The really high end guys are all in the NFL.

Just now, sweep the leg said:

Fair enough.

This seems like a draft where trading down would be the best option. The really high end guys are all in the NFL.

I completely agree. I feel we would be better off with two picks in the 6-10 range and pick up guys that may take even a year or two to get here. Especially considering it is possible we take Ekakitie first and then Ankou is cut after training camp.

The latest piece Tait did with Walters led me to believe KW was more likely to trade the 6 than the 1.....sounded like he expected some really serious offers for 6. Curious to see how it all shakes down on Sunday evening....

13 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

It seems to me that Walters MO is to take a "safe" pick first and then dabble with riskier things later. I mean he always seems to prioritize the lines, usually OL and get someone he knows is likely to at least suit up. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think we'll ever see him deviate from that. 

I don't disagree with you that Walters prefers safe above all else but it is exactly why I think trading down is the best option. He got the best of both worlds last year with Corney and Loffler both being immense talents who would be here right away. Yes, there was injury risk with Loffler but again, it is easier to take on that risk in the middle rounds. I would argue that Loffler and Corney are both more talented and certainly had more productive college careers than Ekakitie. 

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I think Colling is more pro-ready than Ekakitie

I think colling is better in general then ekakitie, certianly more pro ready. Both face some adjustments coming from a different type of football and playing nose.

I hope we arent stuck on ekakitie first over all. I find it kind of hard to believe too. 1, our front office plays things close to the chest and 2 he doesnt seem like the type of guy our organization targets. 

Colling is also three years older than Ekakitie so while I do like him, you are almost certainly getting less years of production from him.

And don't get me wrong, IF this is true and Walters is thinking about Ekakitie first overall I do understand it. Having another Canadian defensive lineman who can play this year and spell Jake Thomas so he is not given more reps than he is capable of is very important. I just have a hard time  coming to terms with leaving all that talent on the table. Especially knowing that the safe pick isn't even always safe (see: Williams, Shomari)

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think colling is better in general then ekakitie, certianly more pro ready. Both face some adjustments coming from a different type of football and playing nose.

I hope we arent stuck on ekakitie first over all. I find it kind of hard to believe too. 1, our front office plays things close to the chest and 2 he doesnt seem like the type of guy our organization targets. 

Releasing Tenant could be a sign that they're leaning towards Ekakitie.  Walters wouldn't likely divulge info. but hard to keep player agents from yapping if they've had preliminary discussions.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Releasing Tenant could be a sign that they're leaning towards Ekakitie.  Walters wouldn't likely divulge info. but hard to keep player agents from yapping if they've had preliminary discussions.

Or colling, etc. But yeah it would tend to say we are drafting a DL at some point.

Just now, Mike said:

Not a big Ekakitie guy, I haven't seen much but he certainly fills a need for us and likely will from day one.

I've got enough faith in our draft team now that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Was this supposed to be a pun?....

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've got enough faith in our draft team now that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

this is where I'm at....lots still to happen, but Walters and Co have put in FAR more time studying tape and doing interviews than any of us...