CFL Combine

Mike

Lateral movement looked pretty bad for Herdman and these are guys that likely will never see the field on offence (or at all) in the CFL he was up against.  Not so concerned about the testing the numbers the 1on1's were concerning though.  Pretty big drop off in just a couple months since the Senior Bowl.

I don't think I'd take him with either of our firsts.  He's going to have to play in space and cover in the CFL regardless of where he plays unless he keeps eating and moves to nose.

1) Ankou 2) Senior 3) Auclair 4) Woods 5) Vandervoort 6) Gray 7) Boateng 8) Mulumba 9) Ekakitie 10) Bladek

Some guys who will (or would) have interesting transitions to the cfl. Really big for their positions up here. But a good few of those guys will be the ones with nfl interest. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

1) Ankou 2) Senior 3) Auclair 4) Woods 5) Vandervoort 6) Gray 7) Boateng 8) Mulumba 9) Ekakitie 10) Bladek

Some guys who will (or would) have interesting transitions to the cfl. Really big for their positions up here. But a good few of those guys will be the ones with nfl interest. 

The only impressive thing about Woods was his size.  Really struggled against a bunch of DL who tested fairly slow and most of whom won't play in the CFL.  IMO a bunch of the CIS guys are better and should go ahead of him.  Woods feet are too damn slow.  Spooner, Schram, Roy did all right.    Zver is an athlete who will need some work, Gray is way ahead of the pack now IMO.  Only guys I'd consider with our firsts are Gray and Bladek.  The rest are pretty meh and at least a couple will be there at 15.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The only impressive thing about Woods was his size.  Really struggled against a bunch of DL who tested fairly slow and most of whom won't play in the CFL.  IMO a bunch of the CIS guys are better and should go ahead of him.  Woods feet are too damn slow.  Spooner, Schram, Roy did all right.    Zver is an athlete who will need some work, Gray is way ahead of the pack now IMO.  Only guys I'd consider with our firsts are Gray and Bladek.  The rest are pretty meh and at least a couple will be there at 15.

Its his combo of good quickness, great strength and size. Hes a project but so is gray. And a project ol with huge size and quickness + the right pass port gets a ton of push up the boards. Hes not a guy Im hoping we grab in the first round but I wouldnt be sad either. He certainly doesnt have slow feet, he doesnt have that amazing quickness that allows him to over compensate or over come bad angle etc but his quickness is solid easily. 

Gray seems like the bob wiley wet dream prototype for an OL. If we end up with him, id be pretty happy.

Edited by wbbfan

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Its his combo of good quickness, great strength and size. Hes a project but so is gray. And a project ol with huge size and quickness + the right pass port gets a ton of push up the boards. Hes not a guy Im hoping we grab in the first round but I wouldnt be sad either. He certainly doesnt have slow feet, he doesnt have that amazing quickness that allows him to over compensate or over come bad angle etc but his quickness is solid easily. 

Gray seems like the bob wiley wet dream prototype for an OL. If we end up with him, id be pretty happy.

He looked slow as hell today, even on the interior drill he was getting beat clean by guys that won't make it through a CFL training camp.  I wouldn't want to see what Almondo Sewell or Drake Nevis would do to him.

Boy after today I'd be very tempted to pick Vandervoort #1 and go with a lineman for our #6. Vandervoort really stood out that he's pro ready today, and none of the linemen O or D were any better than the others in the 1 on 1's , so there seems to be a lot of good ones. As for Ankou who wasn't there today, to much of a risk to get drafted or even if he doesn't seems to have the tools NFL teams are looking for and he might be there for awhile. Behar would be a good pick at 6 if we do go lineman #1, Vandervoort won't drop that low.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

How did Behar look in 1 on 1s?

He looked pretty good, but Vandervoort was head and shoulders above everyone else. There was one Dback that was outstanding as well, Dondre Wright, who was knocking balls down and making interceptions, Vandervoort beat him on a deep one.

“We felt good at lunch,” Walters said at the conclusion of the combine on Saturday. “We were at Dairy Queen, we were having blizzards and peanut-buster parfaits and we had it all figured out. I said ‘This is who I predict is going to go at one and this is who I think is still going to be around at six.’ Then you go watch the players compete and it murkied the water. We said ‘Huh. We’ve got more work to do.’ The plan that was at lunch time is muddied.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/03/25/walters-not-sure-who-blue-bombers-will-draft

My interpretation, they probably has their eyes on Woods, as their #1 for some good reasons (he's big, his got good numbers - combine stats is pretty similar with Bladek, and aside from the fact that he's familliar with Goossen and Chungh, I believe. But one on one changed that.

Again that's just my interpretation.;)

54 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/03/25/walters-not-sure-who-blue-bombers-will-draft

My interpretation, they probably has their eyes on Woods, as their #1 for some good reasons (he's big, his got good numbers - combine stats is pretty similar with Bladek, and aside from the fact that he's familliar with Goossen and Chungh, I believe. But one on one changed that.

Again that's just my interpretation.;)

I think in general a bunch of guys put up less then expected run/jump numbers. That combined with the guys who skipped, and of course the fact that not every one can put there best foot forward on 1-2 days between seasons, leaves you with more questions then answers from the combine. 

3 hours ago, coach17 said:

Boy after today I'd be very tempted to pick Vandervoort #1 and go with a lineman for our #6. Vandervoort really stood out that he's pro ready today, and none of the linemen O or D were any better than the others in the 1 on 1's , so there seems to be a lot of good ones. As for Ankou who wasn't there today, to much of a risk to get drafted or even if he doesn't seems to have the tools NFL teams are looking for and he might be there for awhile. Behar would be a good pick at 6 if we do go lineman #1, Vandervoort won't drop that low.

I dont think we get one of the top teir OL at 6, or vandervoort. If you go top 3 at each position, we would have it in our power to have 2 of auclair, vandervoort, behar, bladek, gray and woods. A side from who you want/dont want ideally, and who jumps to the nfl, that is a fantastic position to be in. I think behar, and auclair would have the best chances of being available at 6. Of course i dont think auclair is much of a chance to be in camp this year. 

38 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

To me, Danny Vandervoort is the best player in the draft, and also fills a need. He'd be as good a pick as anyone first overall. 

Perhaps the most cfl ready. You can coach a guy and fix technique issues, but you cant teach speed. His speed may translate better to football then the 40. But over all mediocre at best  run jump numbers kinda worry that he might max out at a jamie stoddard type player. Compare auclairs pro day numbers to vandervoorts. 

Auclair:   4.82 40, 4.33 shuttle, 7.28 3 cone, 33.5" vert, 9'9 broad jump, and 22 reps on the bench press. 6'5 256

Vandervoort: 4.73 40, 4.35 shuttle,  7.20 3 cone, 31.5" vert, 9'6 broad jump, 13 reps on the bench press. 6'1 203

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/13/antony-auclair-sees-17-nfl-teams-attend-pro-day-laval/

Edited by wbbfan

Based on today's 1 on 1's here's how I'd rate the top 10 at the combine this year -

1) Danny Vandervoort, Rec,Crisp route running, got open and fought well for the ball, caught almost everything thrown close to him.

2) Junior Luke, DL, Strong bottom end, gets underneath well and has great leverage.

3) Johnny Augustine, RB, Great blocking, straight ahead speed,and good hands - beat at LB's in pass drillls, dropped a few against DB's, he did receiver drills as well.

4) Dariusz Bladek, OL, Good positioning, nice footwork.

5) Dondre Wright, DB, Athletic, speedy, great positioning, fought well for the ball.

6) Nate Behar, Rec, Athletic, strong, fast, made a highlight reel catch.

7) Adam Laurensee, DB, great range, fast closer.

8) Kwaku Boateng, DL, fast, hard to contain, great moves, a little undersized.

9) Jeremy Zver, OL, great positioning, won most of the battles against DL

10) Evan Foster, DL, motor that won't stop, undersized, did LB drills as well and did not look out of place.

You can watch all the drills on cfl.ca, it's about 2.5 hours, there is a lot of talking but the nice thing is you can skip what you don't want to see.

13 minutes ago, coach17 said:

Based on today's 1 on 1's here's how I'd rate the top 10 at the combine this year -

1) Danny Vandervoort, Rec,Crisp route running, got open and fought well for the ball, caught almost everything thrown close to him.

2) Junior Luke, DL, Strong bottom end, gets underneath well and has great leverage.

3) Johnny Augustine, RB, Great blocking, straight ahead speed,and good hands - beat at LB's in pass drillls, dropped a few against DB's, he did receiver drills as well.

4) Dariusz Bladek, OL, Good positioning, nice footwork.

5) Dondre Wright, DB, Athletic, speedy, great positioning, fought well for the ball.

6) Nate Behar, Rec, Athletic, strong, fast, made a highlight reel catch.

7) Adam Laurensee, DB, great range, fast closer.

8) Kwaku Boateng, DL, fast, hard to contain, great moves, a little undersized.

9) Jeremy Zver, OL, great positioning, won most of the battles against DL

10) Evan Foster, DL, motor that won't stop, undersized, did LB drills as well and did not look out of place.

You can watch all the drills on cfl.ca, it's about 2.5 hours, there is a lot of talking but the nice thing is you can skip what you don't want to see.

is that your 1on1 drill rankings? I didnt get to watch it all good to know i can go back n watch. Id love to end up with one of augustine or ante litre. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Perhaps the most cfl ready. You can coach a guy and fix technique issues, but you cant teach speed. His speed may translate better to football then the 40. But over all mediocre at best  run jump numbers kinda worry that he might max out at a jamie stoddard type player. Compare auclairs pro day numbers to vandervoorts. 

Auclair:   4.82 40, 4.33 shuttle, 7.28 3 cone, 33.5" vert, 9'9 broad jump, and 22 reps on the bench press. 6'5 256

Vandervoort: 4.73 40, 4.35 shuttle,  7.20 3 cone, 31.5" vert, 9'6 broad jump, 13 reps on the bench press. 6'1 203

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/13/antony-auclair-sees-17-nfl-teams-attend-pro-day-laval/

Those are crazy numbers for a 260lb guy...

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Those are crazy numbers for a 260lb guy...

Not vernon davis, brock lesnar crazy but for a NI pretty close lol. 

Corney put up 4.69 40 4.15 shuttle, 38" vert, 10'2" broad jump and 34 reps. Id say auclair is far, far more polished as an offensive player then corney was as a DE. 

2 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Could/would Auclair be converted to a fullback?

Why would you want to?  He can play receiver and come in the block as necessary much like many guys playing receiver currently do.

I think Dondre Wright could go really early.  Honestly wouldn't be a bad pick for us given how we are deploying the ratio in the coming years with more guys on D.  I think Saskatchewan or BC would take him for sure in the 1st.