US Politics

Rich

Just now, bustamente said:

You will never be President

Pence is prostituting his ethics so as to simultaneously not approve of Trump but not alienate Trump's rabid followers. I would bet that Pence is afraid that if he criticizes Trump or the antics of the insurrectionists in any meaningful way, those lunatics will try to kill him. And he is probably correct.

Report: Police At School Had Rifles Earlier Than Known

Documents examined by the Austin American-Statesman show armed officers stood in the hallway with at least one ballistic shield within 19 minutes of a gunman arriving at the school.
 Multiple police officers stood in a hallway at Robb Elementary School armed with rifles and at least one ballistic shield within 19 minutes of a gunman arriving at the campus, according to documents reviewed by the Austin American-Statesman, a devastating new revelation deepening questions about why police didn’t act faster to stop the shooter who killed 19 children and two teachers last month.

The series of revelations, which began the same week as the May 24 mass killing, has left the impression of a bumbling law enforcement response.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/uvalde-police-rifles-report_n_62b12549e4b0c77098b245a7

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Report: Police At School Had Rifles Earlier Than Known

Documents examined by the Austin American-Statesman show armed officers stood in the hallway with at least one ballistic shield within 19 minutes of a gunman arriving at the school.
 Multiple police officers stood in a hallway at Robb Elementary School armed with rifles and at least one ballistic shield within 19 minutes of a gunman arriving at the campus, according to documents reviewed by the Austin American-Statesman, a devastating new revelation deepening questions about why police didn’t act faster to stop the shooter who killed 19 children and two teachers last month.

The series of revelations, which began the same week as the May 24 mass killing, has left the impression of a bumbling law enforcement response.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/uvalde-police-rifles-report_n_62b12549e4b0c77098b245a7

Someone made a bad call and kids unnecessarily died  and then government lied about it all

Just now, bustamente said:

Someone made a bad call and kids unnecessarily died  and then government lied about it all

Another report indicates that the police were on site in about 3 minutes after being alerted that there was a shooter in the school but waited an hour before entering the classroom out of fear of being shot. In that time, evidence indicates that one girl bled to death.

Really wonder where all of this will end.

tpm

"Eric Greitens, the disgraced former governor of Missouri seeking political redemption in a MAGA-fied U.S. Senate bid, released a campaign ad Monday advertising a “hunting permit” for his political opponents — so-called “RINOs,” or “Republicans in Name Only.” 

A campaign ad for Greitens’ new political assassination campaign opens with Greitens holding a shotgun and strolling past a mailbox labeled “The RINO’s Den.” 

“I’m Eric Greitens, Navy SEAL, and today we’re going RINO hunting,” Greitens says in the ad — though he’s not actually a SEAL anymore. 

The ad then pans to Greitens joining several men with military fatigues on the front porch of a house. One of them uses a battering ram to knock down the door, followed by the deployment of a flash-bang grenade."

Edited by Mark F

48 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Uhg, this is so messed up- how the hell did they get here?

Utterly bizarre that he could legally walk around dressed in battle fatigues and carrying a weapon designed to kill people in large numbers but get arrested for carrying brass knuckles. It sounds like an DNL skit.

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, do or die said:

So far, I am finding this January 6th panel, to be way too partisan.....

Only Republicans testifying.

I listened to a bit of it this morning.

The People leading the inquiry sound like someone giving the valedictory address at a high school.

Zero passion, or anger.

you are losing your country. show that it matters.

Edited by Mark F

25 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The People leading the inquiry sound like someone giving the valedictory address at a high school.

Zero passion, or anger.  you are losing your country. show that it matters.

I watched some of the hearings as well, I think the committee is going to great pains to keep the inquiry as dry and factual as possible so the GOP nuts cannot describe them as hysterical or emotionally unbalanced. I would assume that at the end of the inquiry, the panel will be allowed to sum up their reactions to the evidence presented and you may see some fireworks then,

Arizona Official Emotionally Testifies About Standing Up To Trump

Russell “Rusty” Bowers, the Republican speaker of the Arizona House of Representatives, repeatedly paused in an apparent effort to compose himself during his testimony Tuesday, as he described the consequences of refusing to violate his oath of office by declaring Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 presidential election.

Trump and his lawyers were central to the intense pressure campaign on Bowers once it had become apparent that Joe Biden had won several key states, including Arizona. In the last weeks of his presidency, Trump leaned on a number of state officials, trying to convince them to state publicly that election fraud had invalidated Biden’s win, but they refused. Bowers was among them, as he testified at the fourth public hearing held by the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
“There was no ― no evidence being presented of any strength ... anything that would say to me, ‘You have a doubt. Deny your oath.’ I will not do that,” Bowers said of Trump’s fraud claims.

He said his belief in the Constitution, which he called “divinely inspired,” is “a tenet” of his faith.

“And so for me to do that, because somebody just asked me to, is foreign to my very being,” Bowers said. “I will not do it.”
Trump’s team argued many times in court that various forms of election fraud had taken place in 2020. The courts, however, repeatedly ruled against him, determining there was no such evidence.

Bowers described conversations with Trump’s team where he asked if he could see the evidence that former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani claimed to have. Giuliani said he would produce it, but he never did, Bowers testified.

The Arizona lawmaker also pushed back on an effort by Trump’s allies to convince him to hold a vote to decertify the state’s slate of electors, in order for a pro-Trump slate of electors to take their place.

Bowers said that John Eastman, a lawyer for Trump, told him: “Just do it and let the courts sort it out.”

Bowers recounted his response: “You’re asking me to do something that’s never been done in the history of the United States.

At another point, Bowers read a short excerpt from his personal journal that was written in late 2020, at the request of committee member Adam Schiff . 

“I do not want to be a winner by cheating. I will not play with laws I swore allegiance to,” Bowers read. He explained how his office received more than 20,000 emails and “tens of thousands” of voicemails and texts from Trump supporters at the time.

The “circus,” as he referred to the election aftermath, even showed up on his doorstep. Bowers testified that Trump supporters came to his home, upsetting his chronically ill daughter. (She died several weeks later.)

“At home ... it is the new pattern in our lives to worry what will happen on Saturdays, because we have various groups come by,” Bowers testified. “They have had video panel trucks with video of me, proclaiming me to be a pedophile and a pervert, a corrupt politician.”

“So it was disturbing,” he said. “It was disturbing.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rusty-bowers-arizona-trump-jan-6_n_62b20290e4b06169ca9ebe49

Shortly before the hearing began, Trump released a statement disparaging Bowers, calling him “the latest [Republican in name only] to play along with the Unselect Committee” ― his nickname for the House panel. Trump claimed that Bowers told him in November 2020 that the election “was rigged” and that Trump had “won Arizona.” He concluded with an apparent threat: “Bowers should hope there’s not a tape of the conversation.”

Under oath, Bowers hit back. He said that while he did have a conversation with the president, “that certainly isn’t it.”

“Anywhere, anyone, any time has said that I said that the election was rigged, that would not be true,” Bowers testified.

A comment from David Butow, a journalist who covered 1/6 and Uvalde on site"

As far as the country goes. I don't think there is an "America." When you think about Obama's speech in 2004, he said, "There is no red America or blue America." That was so hopeful. But now it strikes me as being incredibly naive. I don't think there is an America anymore. What actually binds us together? Right now, I can't really think of anything that does. There is very little overlap in terms of what people actually believe. It doesn't just come down to beliefs or intangible things such as religion. It's actual facts, such as science or a shared belief in the importance of certain political and social institutions. That basic disconnect is very frightening.

Edited by Tracker

House GOP plot payback, plan to impeach Merrick Garland if they retake the House: report

House Republicans are gearing up to punish Attorney General Merrick Garland over his apparent failure to enforce the law to their own liking, according to The Washington Times.

Multiple lawmakers in the GOP caucus are reportedly considering impeaching the attorney general if they reclaim the House in 2022. 

"We just need to investigate and get all the facts right now," Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, told the outlet, alleging that half a dozen "whistleblowers" have come forward to aid in the effort. "We're focused on getting the truth for the American people."

Much of the Republican frustration with Garland stems from the Department of Justice's plan to crack down on the potential for violence at schools.

Back in October, amid widespread conservative-led disruptions at school board meetings over curriculum related to race, sex, and gender, the DOJ issues a memo warning of a "a disturbing spike in harassment, intimidation, and threats of violence against school administrators, board members, teachers, and staff who participate in the vital work of running our nation's public schools." Garland also announced that the DOJ would be convening a joint task force to mitigate the potential for violence associated with the school disruptions.

https://www.salon.com/2022/06/21/plot-payback-plan-to-impeach-merrick-garland-if-they-retake-the-house-report/

Only a Banana Republic would allow Trump a chance to become POTUS again but if they do and he wins they deserve what happens and the Democrats better run for the hills. Democrats look like they will lose the House for sure, but they need to hold on and expand their hold the Senate or living in the USA will become a nightmare for segments of the population.

25 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Only a Banana Republic would allow Trump a chance to become POTUS again but if they do and he wins they deserve what happens and the Democrats better run for the hills. Democrats look like they will lose the House for sure, but they need to hold on and expand their hold the Senate or living in the USA will become a nightmare for segments of the population.

Never mind Democrats.....if you are any person who truly believes in equality, fairness, and justice......you better catch the first thing smoking....

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

The viewership numbers for the inquiry are very encouraging. The trump cult members will ignore the proceedings and foam at the mouth over the gross injustice but we can hope that the sane GOP adherents as well as the independent ones will take this to heart.

8 hours ago, Mark F said:

Zero passion, or anger.

you are losing your country. show that it matters.

Keep the emotion in check. Let the emotion come from the witnesses testifying. Of a lawyer starts screaming about the case and how horrible it is, they will lose credibility in the eyes of the court. But if a witness gives wrenching testimony it will hit harder. Hearing the civilian poll worker “Lady Ruby” talk about being targeted by the President and how it has upended her life is much more powerful than Adam Schiff going off on a rant. 

I read the entire transcript of Trump’s call to Brad Raffenspurger, the Georgia Secretary of State. So much pathetic begging and useless logic he relies on (“I won by a lot, just look at the size of my rallies, no way I could have lost”). And when he is called out for following unverified social media he says “no it’s Trump media” like he thinks that means no bias. Astounding how much effort they put into the lie and the pressuring with zero evidence to back them up. 

And a tiny point but a hilariously cringe-worthy moment in the call: Trump is talking to and presumably trying to butter up one of Raffenspurger’s lawyers who is in on the call and disagreeing with Trump’s assertions of fraud. His name was Ryan Germany. Trump says “I heard [you] were very difficult, but I’m sure you’re a good lawyer. I like your last name”. 

Wow. Show me you’re a Nazi without saying you’re a Nazi.

Officer husband of slain Uvalde teacher was disarmed, detained and prevented from helping his wife during massacre

New details have emerged about one of the Uvalde, Texas school teachers that were shot during the deadly school massacre in May. On Tuesday, June 21, Texas DPS Director Steve McCraw appeared at a hearing with the Texas Senate where he shared details about the aftermath of Eva Mireles' shooting.

According to KHOU, McCraw revealed Mireles' husband — who was also a Uvalde police officer — knew his wife had been shot. When he attempted to go into the classroom to take action to save her, other officers took his weapon and detained him before forcing him to leave the scene.

During McGraw's hours-long hearing, he also shared new details about the timeline of events that transpired the day of the deadly shooting and offered a critical assessment of the Uvalde school district police chief, Pete Arredondo.

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/uvalde-2657542888/

18 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Uhg, this is so messed up- how the hell did they get here?

It is a bizarre ,violent country. When the grocery store mass shooting happened ,one thing really stuck in my mind. They reported that the shooter came in and the armed guard shot him but he was wearing an armoured vest so it didn't hurt him. Now think about that. An ARMED GUARD in a grocery store. Is there another country in the world so F#@#ed up that they need armed guards in their grocery stores ? Can you imagine walking into Costco  or Safeway in Winnipeg and seeing an armed guard ? And now all the focus in the latest school shooting has moved to how the police screwed up.  ( Which they did)  Unfortunatly the side effect of that is it takes attention away from the real issues of why it happened. Easy access to people killers, reduction in accessibility  to mental health care and other social services and a general rot in their society. 

14 minutes ago, the watcher said:

It is a bizarre ,violent country. When the grocery store mass shooting happened ,one thing really stuck in my mind. They reported that the shooter came in and the armed guard shot him but he was wearing an armoured vest so it didn't hurt him. Now think about that. An ARMED GUARD in a grocery store. Is there another country in the world so F#@#ed up that they need armed guards in their grocery stores ? Can you imagine walking into Costco  or Safeway in Winnipeg and seeing an armed guard ? And now all the focus in the latest school shooting has moved to how the police screwed up.  ( Which they did)  Unfortunatly the side effect of that is it takes attention away from the real issues of why it happened. Easy access to people killers, reduction in accessibility  to mental health care and other social services and a general rot in their society. 

I walked in to Superstore the other day and they had a cop posted at the entrance and another at the exit and that definitely stood out to me.  100% sure they are not there to prevent a shooting though...

26 minutes ago, bustamente said:

The uptick in shoplifting probably prompts the stores to bring in off duty police for a few days as a deterrent. Just the last few weeks I seen a woman with a over stuffed cart running out thru the in gates and a guy just casually walk out thru the checkout with a basket full of meats. 

Exactly my thoughts when i saw them.  I don't usually go there but I've seen in the news that there have been a number of those incidents at this store in the past so I assumed that's what they were there for.