US Politics

Rich

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Absolutely guaranteed that the GOP will make the Trump years seem like an afternoon tea party. They have mutated into an abomination that has stated they will use the government they control to go after Garland and every Democrat they can on any pretext whatever. They had seven inquiries into the Libyan embassy invasion and three into the Whitewater affair and two into Hillary Clinton's use of emails and came up with nothing, but that hasn't slowed them down at all. 

When you have sycophants on tv says that they will go after Biden and impeach him and go after the 1/6 committee you know that if the Republicans take hold of the Presidency Senate and House they will never let go 

Illinois Republican thanks Trump for giving 'white life' a victory by helping overturn Roe

Rep. Mary Miller (R-IL) is being targeted for a comment she made Saturday night at a rally for Donald Trump.

Miller told the crowd how thankful she was for Trump appointing three Supreme Court justices that ensured the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. What followed, however, left people questioning whether she revealed herself to be a white supremacist or it was an accidental slip.

"President Trump, on behalf of all the MAGA patriots in America. I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the Supreme Court yesterday," she said.

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/illinois-republican-thanks-trump-for-giving-white-life-an-edge-up-with-overturning-of-roe/

(The truth has slipped out)

Another sign the troglodytes are emerging:

Texas Senator John Cornyn says "Now do Plessy vs Ferguson/Brown vs Board of Education"

Cornyn made the remark via Twitter in a share of former President Barack Obama's statement on the Roe reversal.  On Saturday morning, Texas Senator John Cornyn tweeted a racist comment along with a share of former President Barack Obama's statement regarding Friday's Supreme Court ruling to reverse Roe v. Wade.

Obama, making his statement on Twitter on Friday morning shortly after the ruling was handed down, said "Today, the Supreme Court not only reversed nearly 50 years of precedent, it relegated the most intensely personal decision someone can make to the whims of politicians and ideologues—attacking the essential freedoms of millions of Americans." 

The following morning, Cornyn shared that statement from Obama to his own Twitter account adding "Now do Plessy vs Ferguson/Brown vs Board of Education."

Brown v. Board of Education, ruled on by the Supreme Court in 1954, did historical justice in wiping away the 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson ruling, making "separate but equal" rightfully unconstitutional.

Following Cornyn's initial tweet, which received tremendous heated backlash, he fired off another one saying "Thank goodness some SCOTUS precedents are overruled."

https://www.salon.com/2022/06/25/texas-senator-john-cornyn-says-now-do-plessy-vs-fergusonbrown-vs-board-of-education/

On 2022-06-25 at 11:08 AM, Brandon said:

Calling names because you know I'm right.   LOL  it's ok to be wrong blue_gold_84  and I'd advise in real life to be humble and just maybe you wouldn't be such a sour person even on an online message board.   Take the L and move on and dont hate because you can't come to terms that you are wrong and throwing a hissy fit on here won't make me change my opinion and lighten up on a hypocrite like yourself.     

I'll an edit here and then will stop responding since clearly you can't handle being wrong -   Every single time you buy any product either made or product of USA... I win in this disagreement you have with me.   This is why I said its odd and then called you a hypocrite because it's unrealistic to "go against the man" and withold giving the USA any of your money.   This is why I called you a white knight for " weird bragging and pretending to be better than others." when clearly it was all talk.   I see a lot of projecting in your quote above.  

6kuep0.jpg

**honks his clown nose**

On 2022-06-25 at 11:08 AM, Brandon said:

Calling names because you know I'm right.   LOL  it's ok to be wrong blue_gold_84  and I'd advise in real life to be humble and just maybe you wouldn't be such a sour person even on an online message board.   Take the L and move on and dont hate because you can't come to terms that you are wrong and throwing a hissy fit on here won't make me change my opinion and lighten up on a hypocrite like yourself.     

I'll an edit here and then will stop responding since clearly you can't handle being wrong -   Every single time you buy any product either made or product of USA... I win in this disagreement you have with me.   This is why I said its odd and then called you a hypocrite because it's unrealistic to "go against the man" and withold giving the USA any of your money.   This is why I called you a white knight for " weird bragging and pretending to be better than others." when clearly it was all talk.   I see a lot of projecting in your quote above.  

I remember thinking like this too when I was in my early twenties. Then I realized you can not function in this society, be a decent human and NOT be a hypocrite. It's literally impossible. Every single one of us is a hypocrite. Unless like I said, you are not a decent human who has even a shred of empathy. So yes, congratulations on figuring out that someone is a hypocrite, but please remember the old saying about pointing fingers. Because unless you're a giant POS (which I don't think you are) you are in the same boat, the fact that you're using an electronic device proves it. So maybe take it easy...

GOP congressional nominee suggests rape rarely leads to pregnancy: 'Maybe because there’s so much going on in the body'

Yesli Vega, the Republican Party’s nominee for a U.S. Congress seat in Virginia says she believes rape rarely leads to pregnancy, “maybe because there’s so much going on in the body.”

Her remarks were recorded last month before the U.S. Supreme Court on Friday took away the constitutional right to abortion. Axios broke the story Monday.

“The left will say, ‘Well what about in cases of rape or incest?'” Vega said at an event (audio below) in Stafford County, Virginia. “I’m a law enforcement officer. I became a police officer in 2011. I’ve worked one case where as a result of a rape, the young woman became pregnant.”

In the audio, Vega is asked: “I’ve actually heard that it’s harder for a woman to get pregnant if she’s been raped. Have you heard that?”

She replies: “Well, maybe because there’s so much going on in the body. I don’t know. I haven’t, you know, seen any studies. But if I’m processing what you’re saying, it wouldn’t surprise me. Because it’s not something that’s happening organically. You’re forcing it. The individual, the male, is doing it as quickly — it’s not like, you know — and so I can see why there is truth to that. It’s unfortunate.”

Vega, who is now being compared to the late GOP Senator Todd Akin, also brought up what she sees as her “number one” obligation as a person of faith, calling abortion a deviation.

“It’s my, number one, as a believer, to give you all of the resources available. If you decide to deviate and do something else, we don’t stop loving you.”

“Because of the data that we have it’s been proven that women who do move forward with an abortion, they suffer so much.”

In a social media post celebrating the Supreme Court striking down Roe v. Wade Vega claimed abortion has been legal “up to and even after the point of birth.”

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/yesli-vega/

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I remember thinking like this too when I was in my early twenties. Then I realized you can not function in this society, be a decent human and NOT be a hypocrite. It's literally impossible. Every single one of us is a hypocrite. Unless like I said, you are not a decent human who has even a shred of empathy. So yes, congratulations on figuring out that someone is a hypocrite, but please remember the old saying about pointing fingers. Because unless you're a giant POS (which I don't think you are) you are in the same boat, the fact that you're using an electronic device proves it. So maybe take it easy...

Every last one of us yup some more than others though. Some try to keep it in check as much as possible and/or at least acknowledge it when it happens (not perfectly of course). 

When one points a finger, three fingers point right back.

"The last day on which a majority of #SCOTUS Justices had been appointed by Democratic Presidents was May 14, 1969.

The next 11 Justices, and 13 of the next 15, were appointed by Republican Presidents — even though Democrats have won 6 of the 13 presidential elections since then."

partly chance, partly politicians either being ruthless (republican) or being weak ... Democrats.

I also read today that this filibuster could be ditched by changing an appointment, the parliamentarian. do not know if correct. 

Dems in power, hold quaint legislative friends  gentlemans club rules above all else.

meanwhile there are actual revolutionaries in high places.

edit , just read Dems are making "inflation fighting " their top priority.

🤣

I guess... just dumb.

Edited by Mark F

15 hours ago, Mark F said:

"The last day on which a majority of #SCOTUS Justices had been appointed by Democratic Presidents was May 14, 1969.

The next 11 Justices, and 13 of the next 15, were appointed by Republican Presidents — even though Democrats have won 6 of the 13 presidential elections since then."

partly chance, partly politicians either being ruthless (republican) or being weak ... Democrats.

I also read today that this filibuster could be ditched by changing an appointment, the parliamentarian. do not know if correct. 

Dems in power, hold quaint legislative friends  gentlemans club rules above all else.

meanwhile there are actual revolutionaries in high places.

edit , just read Dems are making "inflation fighting " their top priority.

🤣

I guess... just dumb.

This is what Biden/Garland etc want their legacy to be while their country burns to the ground around them.

18 hours ago, Mark F said:

starting  to think biden pelosi schumer et al are not up to the task they have been given.

biden still living in the bipartisan world of thirty years ago. guy lives in a dream world.

On that very subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/28/why-were-democrats-caught-flat-footed-by-the-end-of-roe-v-wade

And this 

Edited by the watcher

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This is what Biden/Garland etc want their legacy to be while their country burns to the ground around them.

recommend you read the guardian article posted  by watcher. 

also

"In 2007, when Barack Obama was running for president, he promised that “the first thing I’d do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act,” which would affirm abortion rights and effectively codify Roe v. Wade, the 1973 landmark decision that guaranteed abortion rights as constitutionally protected.

Then-presidential candidate Obama made this promise on July 17, 2007 in a speech to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, which works to fight for laws and policies to protect reproductive rights and advance access to sexual health care."

and then, after being elected:

"WASHINGTON, 2009 April 29 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Wednesday he favored abortion rights for women but that passing a law guaranteeing those rights was not his top priority, trying to avoid inflaming divisions over the issue."

abortion rights = fundraising point. endless source of money.

Democrats are full of it.

Edited by Mark F

Why Roe’s demise pushed the US even closer to violent civil conflict: author

The United States was a deeply divided country long before Friday, June 24, 2022, when the U.S. Supreme Court’s hard-right majority overturned Roe v. Wade with its decision in Dobbs v. Women’s Health Organization. But the Dobbs ruling will only intensify the United States’ bitter, ugly divisions, and some political science professors, authors and journalists fear that the tensions will lead to even more violence than the country has already suffered.

In a disturbing article published by The Guardian on June 26, Stephen Marche — author of the book “The Next Civil War: Dispatches from the American Future” — predicts that the overturning of Roe v. Wade will do a lot to bring about a major “civil conflict.” And Marche’s warning is similar to what political science professors Steven Levitsky and Lucan Way have been warning about. Levitsky and Way don’t believe that an outright civil war like the one that occurred in the 1860s is on the horizon, but they do fear that the U.S. is heading for a period of prolonged violent conflict comparable to The Troubles in Northern Ireland.

“The cracks in the foundations of the United States are widening, rapidly and on several fronts,” Marche warns in his Guardian article. “The overturning of Roe v. Wade has provoked a legitimacy crisis no matter what your politics. For the right, the leaking of the draft memo last month revealed the breakdown of bipartisanship and common purpose within the institution. For the left, it demonstrated the will of dubiously selected Republican justices to overturn established rights that have somewhere near 70% to 80% political support.”

Marche continues, “Accelerating political violence, like the attack in Buffalo, increasingly blurs the line between the mainstream political conservative movement and outright murderous insanity. The question is no longer whether there will be a civil conflict in the United States. The question is how the sides will divide, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how those strengths and weaknesses will determine the outcome.”

The author/journalist points out that in the U.S., the far right has “been imagining a civil war, publicly, since at least the Obama Administration,” adding that “the possibility of civil war has long been a mainstay of right-wing talk radio.” And Marche, in parts of his article, is somewhat critical of Democrats, who, he argues, naively act as though the Republican Party still embraces pluralism.

“The left-wing American political class, incredibly, continues to cling to its defunct institutional ideals,” Marche writes. “Democrats under (President Joe) Biden have wasted the past two years on fictions of bipartisanship and forlorn hopes of some kind of restoration of American trust. When violence like Buffalo hits, they can do little more than plead with the other side to reconsider the horror they’re unleashing, and offer obvious lectures about the poison of White supremacy.”

Marche stresses that “incipient civil conflict in the United States won’t be formal armies struggling for territory.”

“The techniques of both sides are clarifying,” Marche explains. “Republican officials will use the Supreme Court, or whatever other political institutions they control, to push their agenda no matter how unpopular with the American people. Meanwhile, their calls for violence, while never direct, create a climate of rage that solidifies into regular physical assaults on their enemies. The technical term for this process is stochastic terrorism; the attack in Buffalo is a textbook example.”

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/roes-demise-has-pushed-the-u-s-even-closer-to-violent-civil-conflict-author/

GOP lawmaker mocked for 'literally impossible' claim that gun control leads to mass shootings with arrows

Rep. Warren Davidson (R-Ohio) is facing deep scrutiny after insisting that the United States could see an uptick in mass shootings with arrows if guns are banned. During a recent news interview, CNN's Pamela Brown asked Davidson if he could admit "that mass shooting could not happen" without guns.

The Republican lawmaker dismissed Brown's argument and, instead, focused on a different hypothetical scenario. He pondered the possibility of mass shootings occurring with arrows if guns end up being banned. As the clip of the interview began circulating on Twitter, social media users quickly chimed in to share their criticism of Davidson.

"Yeah, no such thing as an 'assault crossbow,' though," one Twitter user pointed out. "So it kinda takes a lot longer to kill as many people..."

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/lawmaker-mocked-mass-shootings-arrows/