US Politics

Rich

Louisiana mother forced to give up custody of her daughter and pay child support to her rapist: report

Crysta Abelseth, now 32, was allegedly raped at age 16 by John Barnes, a man nearly twice her age who she had never previously met, after accepting a ride home from him after a night out at a restaurant with friends, and the sexual assault resulted in a pregnancy, reported WBRZ-TV.

"Instead of bringing me home, he brought me to his house," Abelseth recalled. "Once inside, he raped me on his living room couch."
Abelseth said other people assumed a boyfriend was the father and she never corrected them, but sometime in 2011 Barnes learned that he might have a daughter and pursued custody.

"When my daughter was five years old, he found out about her, and once he found out about her, he pursued custody and wanted to take her away from me," Abelseth said. "They granted him 50/50 custody despite the fact that [the child] was caused by rape."

A DNA test showed Barnes was almost certainly the father, despite the fact that he had been 30 and Abseleth was younger than the age of consent when he assaulted her, and she eventually pressed criminal charges against him in 2015 because she didn't previously understand how the law worked.

"I thought if I didn't do it the next day, there was nothing I could do about it," Abelseth said. "I went to a trauma counselor, and he said, 'No, you have 30 years after you turn 18.'"

The Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office said that investigation remained open seven years later, and Abelseth said it was never even assigned to a detective. She claimed that Barnes had law enforcement connections that allowed him to escape accountability and gain full custody several weeks ago over allegations that she gave her teenage daughter a cell phone.

"He's well connected," Abelseth said. "He's threatened me multiple times, saying he has connections in the justice system, so I better be careful and he can take her away anytime he wants to. I didn't believe him until it happened."

Stacie Triche, of the non-profit organization Save Lives, is started helping Abelseth with her legal fight after Barnes challenged her custodial rights, and she said it's hard to understand why a judge would give Barnes full custody and force Abelseth to pay child support to her rapist.

"When I found out she was a rape victim, and this rapist could potentially get full custody, that's when I stepped in and said something has to be done about this," Triche said. "She's been forced to pay her perpetrator, forced to pay her rapist child support and legal fees and give up custody of the child that's a product of the rape. It makes no sense."

Judge Jeffrey Cashe granted Barnes custody, but an employee in his office said judicial canons would prevent him from explaining the decision, which was placed under seal, and an attorney from the Louisiana Foundation Against Sexual Assault (LFASA) said the decision was egregious.

"It seems pretty straightforward that not only did a crime take place, but as a result of the crime, this person should not have custody of the child," said LFASA attorney Sean Cassidy.

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/louisiana-mother-daughter-custody-rapist/

You know I've been thinking for awhile to throw my hat in the ring for 2024. Couldn't do any worse surely? I am as patriotic as the next person but lord we don't half embarrass ourselves the world over with the 'policies' we come up with or how we do things.

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You know I've been thinking for awhile to throw my hat in the ring for 2024. Couldn't do any worse surely? I am as patriotic as the next person but lord we don't half embarrass ourselves the world over with the 'policies' we come up with or how we do things.

I am afraid that with your political system being what it is and with the unrestricted, massive flow of money both in the open and dark money to sway candidates, there is little chance of meaningful change in your country. The massive inequality and concentration of power has created system that benefits few and fuels the violence and unrest there. I feel for the many good people in America who are essentially powerless.

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

I am afraid that with your political system being what it is and with the unrestricted, massive flow of money both in the open and dark money to sway candidates, there is little chance of meaningful change in your country. The massive inequality and concentration of power has created system that benefits few and fuels the violence and unrest there. I feel for the many good people in America who are essentially powerless.

Oh I agree with you pal, unfortunately. Politicians here in the US are as crooked as they come, and even though they are  supposed to represent the people most of them are just stuck up their own asses to really come up and pass any viable legislation for the betterment of Americans. As you say, us general citizens pretty much have our hands tied. We can protest for change and whatever else similar, but at the end of the day those in charge will do whats in their best interests.

When I was in High School and college I felt way more pride in my country than I do now. All I can do is hope that things change sooner rather than later. What else is there to do?

Edited by Wilbur

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Oh I agree with you pal, unfortunately. Politicians here in the US are as crooked as they come, and even though they are  supposed to represent the people most of them are just stuck up their own asses to really come up and pass any viable legislation for the betterment of Americans. As you say, us general citizens pretty much have our hands tied. We can protest for change and whatever else similar, but at the end of the day those in charge will do whats in their best interests.

When I was in High School and college I felt way more pride in my country than I do now. All I can do is hope that things change sooner rather than later. What else is there to do?

Keep voting.  Keep trying. Keep caring. Keep being well adjusted for yourself and other human beings.  Keep believing.

just keep on keeping.

Cops Never Even Tried to Open Classroom Door in Uvalde Massacre, Report Says
- Reuters
Police officers responding to last month’s mass shooting at an Uvalde, Texas, elementary school never even tried to open the door to the classroom where young children were trapped with the gunman, according to a new report. A law enforcement source cited by the San Antonio Express-News on Saturday said surveillance footage revealed no attempts by officers to open the door during the entire 77-minute siege at Robb Elementary School. Nineteen children and two teachers were killed during that time. In the wake of the massacre, police claimed part of the reason they took so long to confront the shooter was because officers could not access the classroom and needed to wait for a key. But the law enforcement source told the Express-News that the gunman, Salvador Ramos, could not have locked the classroom door from the inside, and investigators believe it may have been open the whole time. In addition, the source said, a forcible entry tool called a halligan bar was available to officers throughout the siege, which would have allowed them to open even a locked door. The police response to the deadly attack is currently under investigation by the Texas Rangers and the FBI.

Christian nationalism on full display at Texas Republican Convention

HOUSTON — Meeting at their first in-person convention since 2018, Texas Republicans on Saturday acted on a raft of resolutions and proposed platform changes to move their party even further to the right. They approved measures declaring that President Joe Biden “was not legitimately elected” and rebuking Sen. John Cornyn for taking part in bipartisan gun talks. They also voted on a platform that declares homosexuality “an abnormal lifestyle choice” and calls for Texas schoolchildren “to learn about the humanity of the preborn child.”

The convention reinforced the extent to which former President Donald J. Trump’s unfounded claims of a stolen election continue to resound among the party faithful — even though his claims have repeatedly been debunked, including by many of his own former aides, and after a week of televised hearings about the Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

The new platform would call for:

Requiring Texas students “to learn about the humanity of the preborn child,” including teaching that life begins at fertilization and requiring students to listen to live ultrasounds of gestating fetuses.
Amending the Texas Constitution to remove the Legislature’s power “to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.”
Treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice,” language that was not included in the 2018 or 2020 party platforms.
Deeming gender identity disorder “a genuine and extremely rare mental health condition,” requiring official documents to adhere to “biological gender,” and allowing civil penalties and monetary compensation to “de-transitioners” who have received gender-affirming surgery, which the platform calls a form of medical malpractice.
Changing the U.S. Constitution to cement the number of Supreme Court justices at nine and repeal the 16th Amendment of 1913, which created the federal income tax.
Ensuring “freedom to travel” by opposing Biden’s Clean Energy Plan and “California-style, anti-driver policies,” including efforts to turn traffic lanes over for use by pedestrians, cyclists and mass transit.
Declaring “all businesses and jobs as essential and a fundamental right,” a response to COVID-19 mandates by Texas cities that required customers to wear masks and limited business hours.
Abolishing the Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank, and guaranteeing the right to use alternatives to cash, including cryptocurrencies.
Not every far-right proposal was advanced. The party chair, Matt Rinaldi, ruled that a motion to defend the due process rights of those who rioted at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and to “reject the narrative” that the riot was an insurrection was out of order and could not be voted on.

https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/abbott/

Republicans Are Now Threatening To Shoot School Librarians

The communications director of the far-right Republican front group Moms for Liberty was recorded threatening to shoot school librarians.

Media Matters has the recording:

The group has the facade of a grassroots organization, but it is funded by Republicans, and behind the claim of interest parental rights is the pushing of a far-right agenda.

Lonoke County, Arkansas chapter head of communications Melissa “Missy” Bosch said about the school district’s librarians, “I’m telling you, if I was — any mental issues, they would all be plowed down with a freaking gun by now.”

Librarians have been turned into a target by the far-right with its critical race theory campaign. Republicans have turned election workers, librarians, school district officials, and other local public servants into targets.

Bosch claimed that the recording was illegally made and edited but according to Media Matters both of her claims are false.

The combination of ease of access to guns along with right-wing conspiracies and disinformation has created a climate where Republicans are being radicalized toward violence against their own communities.

The issue is much more complex than guns. Republicans seem to be transforming from conservative political activists to potential domestic terrorists in communities big and small across the country.

https://www.politicususa.com/2022/06/19/moms-for-liberty.html

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

every day I look at news..... hoping to see headline , "Trump charged with fraud"

not sure how this can be allowed to slide, but kind of looks like that's whats happening.

An American president will never be held responsible (as in jail time or worse) by the American justice system. I'd bet my life on it.

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

An American president will never be held responsible (as in jail time or worse) by the American justice system. I'd bet my life on it.

pressure is growing a lot..... article written by these really, important people: 

Laurence H. Tribe is professor emeritus of constitutional law at Harvard. Phillip Allen Lacovara was deputy solicitor general of the United States, counsel to the Watergate special prosecutor, and argued the case of United States vs. Nixon. Dennis Aftergut is a former federal prosecutor, currently of counsel to Lawyers Defending American Democracy.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-06-20/jan-6-insurrection-prosecution-donald-trump-reelection

"In a powerful warning Thursday, the patron saint of the conservative legal movement, former federal appellate Judge J. Michael Luttig, testified before the Jan. 6 Committee and pronounced former President Trump and his allies a “clear and present danger” to American constitutional democracy. As Luttig knows better than most, this historic phrase generates an extraordinary constitutional power of government to act — and a duty to do so.

Luttig’s verdict should be understood as a plea for Atty. Gen. Merrick Garland to proceed toward charging Trump with federal crimes that the public record now amply establishes. Only then will this nation be able to move forward from the ongoing insurrection."

also just read that Georgia has convened a Grand Jury re trump election fraud.

dont know.

Edited by Mark F