US Politics

Rich

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What's the point of "anti-sharia"?  I'm not supporter of sharia law and it has not place here. But it seems like a way to actually have anti-Muslim protests by hiding behind an extreme "problem" that doesn't much exist widely here 

That's my take on it.

Edited by johnzo

This guy was at today's "anti-sharia" protest.  The flag he's holding is a Christian Identity flag.  The Christian Identity folks have ... novel ... ideas about how white people fit into biblical times.  They're not down with the mixing of the races, or with the gays, and they have a special hatred for the Jews.

Now if you read about CI, you'll see that this guy is clearly a loon (and a violent one, he was goading people to fight him.)  One could think, maybe he's on the far edge of his movement and it's dirty pool to hold him up as representative.

One of the "anti-sharia" pitches is that gay people and Jews have lots to fear from Muslim people and so liberals who aren't phobes or antisemetics ought to fight sharia too. But I think that if Act for America is so concerned about the gays, perhaps they might police shitheads like this out of their movement, because Christian Identity is not quite a gay-positive ethos.

ChapmanaSquare_repent_protest5_SamGehrke

Edited by johnzo

13 hours ago, johnzo said:

This guy was at today's "anti-sharia" protest.

a week or two ago, somewhere out your way, one of the right wing freaks attacked a muslim woman on the train, and then murdered two people who tried to subdue him.

There's a strong nazi, white supremacist movement in the pacific northwest. year or two one of freaks plotted to bomb a parade. a jury in Oregon aquitted those machine gun toting morons that took over the malheur wildlife reserve.

There's a very good documentary, on youtube  about a very small town in North Dakota, Leith, that was invaded by a white supremacist leader, planning to take over town council and make it a centre of that ****.

They drove him out. legally.

Edited by Mark F

yeah, there are a lot of scary people out their with violent beliefs and guns and a lot of angry hard-luck cases for them to recruit. It's easier than ever for them to find each other.  Add to that a thriving industry of anti-government / anti-foreigner / anti-GLBT propaganda and you've got a fiery brew indeed.  And my activist friends, the people who work with the cops, are telling me that there's considerable sympathy for the shitheads in LE.

There's darkness out there.  All I can do as a white guy is to stand up to oppose white shitheads.  I feel like white supremacy is kind of a problem that white people need to own.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I'll own white supremacy as soon as Muslims own Islamic terrorism.  Same thing.

Muslims own Islamic terrorism. They are on the front lines fighting it and speaking out against it. It affects them FARRRR more.

It's disgusting that people say otherwise.

Edited by JCon

Just now, JCon said:

Muslims own Islamic terrorism. They are on the front lines fighting it and speaking out against it. It affects them FARRRR more.

It's disgusting to that people say otherwise.

This is a common thought though.  I admit to feeling it from time to time.  Im not sure if its "real" or imagined due to media coverage.  But I think the feeling is when a crazy white guy does something in the name of his race or religion, the vast majority of us loudly condemn it.  We have no problem with saying that those people are nuts and losers.

But when there is an attack made by Islamic terrorists, the sense is the Muslim community is too quiet in their condemnation.  How real that is, I dont know.  Because they DO condemn it.  But I think there is the perception the average Muslim sort of puts his head down and doesnt say anything.  And the idea that the Muslim community needs to weed out their crazies more is certainly one many subscribe to. 

We do see plenty of defensive posturing. For example, open houses at Mosques inviting anyone to attend to see Muslim's in general are not extremists. 

We're not talking about Muslim's fighting the extremists in the Middle East.  We're talking North America.  Where there is also the sense that if you see a suspicious Muslim, some people resist the urge to report due to feeling "racist".  Which is interesting because there is SO much bigotry towards Muslim's and people who just look like it (I recently debated with a guy about why wrestling fans would cheer Jinder, the guy feeling that it made no sense since he was a "terrorist").

Having a President that condones bigotry doesnt help.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Some do, some don't.  Some white people speak out against white supremacy, some don't.  I don't expect either group to do so because it's ridiculous to suggest that someone has responsibility to act for or against a cause specifically based on their race, religion, or anything else.

Edited by Atomic

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

We're not talking about Muslim's fighting the extremists in the Middle East.  We're talking North America.  Where there is also the sense that if you see a suspicious Muslim, some people resist the urge to report due to feeling "racist".  Which is interesting because there is SO much bigotry towards Muslim's and people who just look like it (I recently debated with a guy about why wrestling fans would cheer Jinder, the guy feeling that it made no sense since he was a "terrorist").

When police prevent an attack - where do you think that intel comes from? When the police hear 'chatter' - where do you think that intel comes from? When we find out that an alleged terrorist was known to police - where do you think that intel comes from?

It all comes from the Muslim community. They're in there fighting this everyday in North America.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Some do, some don't.  Some white people speak out against white supremacy, some don't.  I don't expect either group to do so because it's ridiculous to suggest that someone has responsibility to act for or against a cause specifically based on their race, religion, or anything else.

Most do. Very few don't.

I'm white and I don't get invited to KKK meetings. It's not like being Muslim means you automatically know anything about the terrorist networks.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm white and I don't get invited to KKK meetings. It's not like being Muslim means you automatically know anything about the terrorist networks.

Exactly why white people in general shouldn't be expected to "own" white supremacy any more than Muslims should be expected to "own" Islamic terrorism.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Hate crimes against Muslims in Canada up 60%, StatsCan reports

"The number of police-reported hate crimes against Muslims jumped by 60 per cent in 2015 compared to the previous year, according to Statistics Canada.

New data released Tuesday show there were 159 anti-Muslim incidents reported to police that year, up from 99 the year before.

National Council of Canadian Muslims vice-chairman Khalid Elgazzar called 2015 a "difficult year" for Muslim Canadians, as two terrorist attacks in France inflamed anti-Muslim sentiment and former prime minister Stephen Harper made a woman's right to wear a veil at citizenship ceremonies a "central issue" of the election campaign.

"The Canadian Muslim community bore the brunt of sinister political rhetoric surrounding the federal election which painted Muslims as terrorists or terrorist sympathizers as well as being anti-women," he said during a news conference on Parliament Hill.

He stopped short of blaming the Conservative campaign for the rise in hate crimes, but said the campaign rhetoric was "a factor."

Elgazzar said many victims of hate crimes do not report to police because they are fearful of further victimization or don't think police will do anything.

He called on governments at all levels to boost funding for police investigations and data collection to better understand the scope of the problem."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hate-crimes-muslims-statscan-1.4158042
Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne