US Politics

Rich

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

You just know nothing will come of Comey's testimony regardless of it's significance. 

SNL got it right when they reenacted Lester Holt's interview with Trump a while back. 

Is that it, did we get him?

No, nothing matters anymore.

Climax meet anticlimax.

A lot of people frustrated with the testimony thus far essentially feeling officials are covering for Trump or just not willing to be critical.  But the opposing view is that they are all very aware of how criminal investigations work and are unwilling to say anything that could negatively impact the investigation of the Special Counsel.

I suspect Comey will have *some* interesting items on his agenda today but will certainly err on the side of taking the high road.  This isnt the "gotcha" investigation, not at this point.  It might lead to more focused investigations in Congress.  But the big one is the Special Counsel.  He's a friend of Comey's.  I'd suspect Comey has had alot more interesting things to say to him than he will say publicly today. 

39 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Seems impractical.  It made some sense during WW2 because you could release the Japanese when the war was over.  But at what point would you release Muslims?  When terrorism stops?  Just a silly suggestion by the furthest right wing nuts really.

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Yeah, it's impractical on dozens of levels and I bet the courts would crap on it in the USA.

But it's still alarming as rhetoric and I hope these ideas are not mainstreamed any further.

I see no problem with allowing people to share their opinion, even if it is bigoted and ridiculous.  I trust that most people can see this and judge for themselves whether it is reasonable or not.  I actually think we want these ideas to get into the mainstream so they can be considered and summarily dismissed by the population.

No argument there ... in the USA, at least the parts of it I know, the idea of interning people in camps is very well understood.  Especially out here in Seattle, our Japanese community was hit very hard by the WWII internments.

When I say mainstreaming I worry about people nodding and saying "hey those camps sound like a good idea."  And it's heartening to hear the host on Fox explicitly reject it when it came up.  But it's easy for me to be clinical about it and dismiss it as impractical -- I have zero fear that anyone is going to put me on any kind of list in the future.  Other folks might not be so sanguine.

28 minutes ago, johnzo said:

No argument there ... in the USA, at least the parts of it I know, the idea of interning people in camps is very well understood.  Especially out here in Seattle, our Japanese community was hit very hard by the WWII internments.

When I say mainstreaming I worry about people nodding and saying "hey those camps sound like a good idea."  And it's heartening to hear the host on Fox explicitly reject it when it came up.  But it's easy for me to be clinical about it and dismiss it as impractical -- I have zero fear that anyone is going to put me on any kind of list in the future.  Other folks might not be so sanguine.

Yeah, I think most people would agree.  It's not a surprise to see Shaun King attempting to blow this out of proportion.

I believe that the use of violence by Islamic extremists and domestic terrorists like white supremacist groups and antifa to intimidate people is a much greater and more imminent threat to our society.

Rational discourse never killed anybody.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/07/politics/james-comey-testimony-released/index.html

(CNN)Fired FBI Director James Comey aimed a dagger blow at Donald Trump Wednesday, saying the President had demanded his loyalty, pressed him to drop a probe into ex-national security adviser Michael Flynn and repeatedly pressured him to publicly declare that he was not under investigation.

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is pretty explosive actually. Trump is either very stupid or very arrogant. Or both. 

Is it really though? To me, your statement is true if there is little wiggle room for alternate interpretations. Having to 'read between the lines' takes away it's explosiveness.   

57 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Is it really though? To me, your statement is true if there is little wiggle room for alternate interpretations. Having to 'read between the lines' takes away it's explosiveness.   

Did you read the article?  To me it was less reading between the lines and more, crediting prior stories etc.

Trump flat out tried to obstruct.  He flat out tried to intimidate.  Was he malicious or stupid?  Well, I suspect it was a business technique, making people have to ask for their jobs and demanding loyalty pledges.  So he knew what he was doing.  And Comey, in so many words, warned him off.  The fact he excused everyone in the room including the AG when he asked Comey to back off Flynn...shows intent.  Intentional obstruction.  Does it rise to criminal?  I dont know... is it entirely inappropriate for the President?  I think that is clear.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did you read the article?  To me it was less reading between the lines and more, crediting prior stories etc.

Trump flat out tried to obstruct.  He flat out tried to intimidate.  Was he malicious or stupid?  Well, I suspect it was a business technique, making people have to ask for their jobs and demanding loyalty pledges.  So he knew what he was doing.  And Comey, in so many words, warned him off.  The fact he excused everyone in the room including the AG when he asked Comey to back off Flynn...shows intent.  Intentional obstruction.  Does it rise to criminal?  I dont know... is it entirely inappropriate for the President?  I think that is clear.

I did and I agree with you but if the NYT's has to do an article about reading between the lines, you know the spinmeisters will be out in full force.

Comey's response is telling.  It could mean "yes, but not intentionally" or "he didnt want to but they had something on him" or "not directly but sort of".  What it doesnt mean, most likely is "no".

Although he also gave an answer where he said intel did not indicate collusion between Trump staff and Russia. So its a bit interesting.  I think Comey is being very careful and almost surely has spoken with the Special Counsel and does not want to impact his investigation.

My feeling is, the end result will be a scathing admonishment of Trump that falls short of indictment.  Flynn might go down though and who's to say he doesnt flip.  On the other hand, if this drags out til the mid-terms and if the Dems take control, all bets are off.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Comey's response is telling.  It could mean "yes, but not intentionally" or "he didnt want to but they had something on him" or "not directly but sort of".  What it doesnt mean, most likely is "no".

Although he also gave an answer where he said intel did not indicate collusion between Trump staff and Russia. So its a bit interesting.  I think Comey is being very careful and almost surely has spoken with the Special Counsel and does not want to impact his investigation.

My feeling is, the end result will be a scathing admonishment of Trump that falls short of indictment.  Flynn might go down though and who's to say he doesnt flip.  On the other hand, if this drags out til the mid-terms and if the Dems take control, all bets are off.

To propagate their mythology the US will go to great lengths to protect the position of president, no matter the ass the incumbent proves to be.  Thus Nixon walked instead of going to jail and nothing will likely come of this investigation to harm Trump directly other than exposing him as a buffoon.