US Politics

Rich

so you're saying that even if Trump gets shot they still won't do anything about it?

It's times like this that we have responsible gun control in Canada....don't we? I mean didn't they do something about it after Polytechnique?

Edited by iHeart

8 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so you're saying that even if Trump gets shot they still won't do anything about it?

Well, I didn't say that. That second amendment is just ingrained in their culture and the ability right to procure as many firearms as possible has ostensibly become synonymous with freedom in the USA.

But I'll answer your question: if JFK getting popped didn't change anything 50+ years ago, I can't see it being any different now.

Edited by blue_gold_84
obvious reason

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well, I didn't say that. That second amendment is just ingrained in their culture and the ability to procure as many firearms as possible has ostensibly become synonymous with freedom in the USA.

But I'll answer your question: if JFK getting popped didn't change anything 50+ years ago, I can't see it being any different now.

I mean I know the dems have been wanting to do something about this for a long time but....I always thought that they would have gone all Little Red Hen on their asses if it happened

either way I wouldn't want to wish this one anyone or anywhere, I work in a school, and sometimes I find myself worrying that something like this would happen on a day that I'm there (I work part time 3 days a week)

Not a trump fan but this has been going on there for way longer than Trumps been in charge. 

Saw a good headline from the onion.. Truth 

"Politicians say there is no way to stop this in the only country where it regularly happens" 

18 school shootings this year. Its Feb 14th. 

Dont forget that Trump immediately scrapped an Obama era gun rule that would prevented some mentally ill people from owning guns.  I cant say that this shooter qualified under that rule.  But its pretty galling that Trump's remarks are about the mental illness of the shooter after scrapping a law to prevent mentally ill people from getting guns.

A guy on CNN said it well, America has to stop pretending its exceptional and superior and look at what a violent outlier it is in the world.  They need to look at Austraila and follow in their footsteps:

In April 1996, a 28-year-old man armed with semi-automatic rifles entered a cafe in the small Australian town of Port Arthur,  shot and killed 35 people and injured 23 others. It was the worst mass shooting in Australian history.

The day after the massacre, the country’s prime minister, John Howard (a newly elected leader), started to put together the most sweeping gun control reforms ever contemplated by any Australian government.

The country passed the National Firearms Agreement, which banned automatic, semi-automatic and pump-action shotguns. It also introduced a stricter system for licensing and owning guns. The agreement is considered one of the strictest gun laws in the world.

A nationwide gun buyback scheme also saw more than 640,000 weapons turned in to authorities. The guns were collected and destroyed.

It took just 14 days after the Port Arthur massacre for gun laws to be proposed and then passed by the Australian government.

In the decades before the Port Arthur killings, there were 13 mass shootings in Australia (defined by academics as the killing of five or more people, not including the shooter).

Since the 1996 gun reform, Australia has not had another mass shooting,

Gun control isnt even that difficult.  Firstly, it is shown that restrictive gun control laws do work to curb mass shootings.  Thats a fact.  So this is really simple.  If Americans want to curb mass shootings, they need stricter gun control.  Very very simple.

But there is a sense that Americans dont want gun control.  Thats nonsense.  Its all about the vocal minority and the massive cash that flows from gun lobbyists that dont give a **** about citizens and just want to keep gun manufactures reaping massive profits.  Its not a second amendment issue.  Thats been co-opted by these groups to make American's think that the government is out to violate their rights. 

83% of Americans see gun violence as a big problem.  50% see it as a VERY big problem.  But the government and GOP congress suck at the teat of the minority because of the lobbyist money.  Disgraceful.

47% of Americans believe stricter gun control would reduce mass shootings.  68% support banning assault rifles.  This is SO easy.  You have majority support for this.