US Politics

Rich

Just now, do or die said:

Meanwhile Bannon spends two full days with Mueller, to avoid public testimony in front of the grand jury......then afterwards, continues to freeze out the Congressional Committee, on the Hill.   

Some folks should be real worried about this......particularly Kushner.

Likely to be held in contempt of congress.  But Im not sure what his game is.  Is he also stonewalling Mueller?  He might be stonewalling Congress because Trump will know what he said so he can keep up appearance of loyalty.  But he has to be careful about stonewalling Mueller.  One lie and he can be charged.  So the question is, is he COOPERATING with Mueller...?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Goalie said:

The 2018 mid terms are fast approaching and these republiCONS are trying to do as much as they can because they are probably all gone soon. Trump is gonna be ****** soon 

You can't count him out no matter what. You should know this by now. Nothing is guaranteed. 

In non-trump related news (still a connection, but a periphery one though)

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/16/technology/fcc-sinclair-investigation/index.html

Interesting Article about amassing local tv stations

Shortly after one rule change early in Pai's tenure, Sinclair Broadcast Group announced plans to acquire Tribune Media for $3.9 billion. The deal, which would not have been possible without the change, would push the total number of TV stations Sinclair owns to more than 200 nationwide.

Rep. Frank Pallone, a Democrat representing New Jersey, told the New York Times on Thursday that the FCC's inspector general has "decided to take up" an investigation into the matter. His office also confirmed the investigation.

"For months I have been trying to get to the bottom of the allegations about Chairman Pai's relationship with Sinclair Broadcasting," Pallone later said in a tweet.

Bear in mind that is the same ******* that destroyed net neutrality.

John Oliver had a pretty good take on the Sinclair Broadcast Group:

I have read with fascination the debate going on here, and although heated at times, kudos to everyone to focusing largely on the issues and offering insight into your positions you  defend. Wasn't sure that was possible in a political thread (and you all seem more mature than some of the actual real politicians appear to be with regard to the entrenchment of their ideas).

Open question to everyone: Trump has always screamed "No collusion" and witch hunt, and I could see him spinning the whole "fabrication of the Russian investigation" into, "I never said the Russians weren't up to stuff, all I said was whatever they did, it did not involve me, therefore no collusion - i.e. I never lied" (I imagine some revisionist history on his part to sell that new spin and not be caught in a contradiction somewhere, but not the ultimate point). So....

Imagine Meuller says clearly Trump's handlers colluded with Russia to manipulate the election to get him in for favours, lifting of sanctions and financial benefit for both sides, etc., but he cannot find evidence that Trump himself knew about it, i.e. that he was just a stooge for the real players in the party and was out of the loop. If Trump's ego is as big  as purported, and he is that thin-skinned as portrayed, does that sting more than being labeled the mastermind? And would his ego allow him to be painted as a patsy, or would he pull the "of course I knew everything, I'm the smartest one here and only I could orchestrate such a scam (the Sideshow Bob occurrence)" Remember how he chafed at Hillary when she called him a puppet on live TV in the debates? "Not a puppet! You're the puppet!" (it was the 70 year old equivalent to the playground retort "I know you are but what am I?"

Thoughts?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

1. Yes they did.  And launched an investigation.  The FBI didnt shrug and say "its just politics".  There are multiple congressional investigations and a Special Counsel investigation going on BECAUSE this wasnt politics as normal.

2.  Its not. And it's illegal.  And the subject to multiple investigations.  You seem to think the investigations shoudl be shut down because "nothing to see here" but why not let them continue to their inevitable conclusion?  The whole point of what Mueller is doing is to build a case so it doesnt matter what Trump says.  Ofcourse he's going to deny.  If you were accused of a crime, you'd deny it too...

3. Im a conservative.  I supported W.  I wish Harper was PM today, tomorrow and forever.  I get the right wing perspective.  Thats not the issue.

4. Again, the original question posed what what is your Red-Line?  What would it take?  I dont think Hilary is the nicest candidate.  I dont even care.  I dont know her.  If we dug far enough back, Im, quite sure I was warm on Trump initially.  I recall telling a friend (who is gay and hated Trump from Day 1) that he should not be too hasty and I defended trump...to my GAY friend lol  But again, its Red Lines.  He's vile.  Is he MORE vile than Hilary.  Thats a different debate. 

To answer your question, I guarantee it isnt partisan politics.  If it is, its REPUBLICANS.  You have a Republican FBI Director (who, by the way, sunk Hilary with the last minute e-mails memo to Congress which turned out to be nothing), a Republican AG, a Republican Deputy AG, a Republican Special Counsel.  And the only issue on the part of the FBI was out of the New York office which was aligned with Rudy who was aligned with Trump and seemingly buried information in favour of Trump.  What partisan politics are you referring to?  This whole thing is driven by Republicans.

1. They knew the Russians had been hacking their elections since 2008, it's why Obama expelled all the Russian diplomats and expanded sanctions, again nothing to see here despite what you think.

2. The US does not have a federal statute punishing corrupt efforts to influence an election, unless done by particular prohibited acts such as vote buying or illegal political contributions. There is a statute punishing conspiracies to defraud the United States, including conspiracies to interfere with a governmental function by fraud. Special counsel Robert Mueller will surely focus on whether a conspiracy to interfere with the right to honest elections is a crime, but the question is greatly complicated by the 100-year-old Gradwell case; that case refused to apply the statute to interference in elections for senators and representatives, because the Constitution and laws assign to the states, not the federal government, the regulation of elections for those offices. It would not be a large step to say the same is true of the election of the Electoral College in presidential elections. Collusion with the Russians in attempting to affect the outcome of the presidential election is a serious political scandal, but it is not clear that it provides a basis for criminal prosecution. You don't think the Democrats know this? Everything the liberal media outlets report fails to mention this, yet they continues to stoke the fire that somehow this is going to bring down the Whitehouse, that is partisan politics at it's worst. 

3. Hard to believe that 40% of Americans think like Trump but they do and that's reality, calling them a basket of deplorable's though is not how you win them over.

4. When the President is actually convicted of a criminal offense worthy of impeachment. So far, he's guilty of bad taste and nothing more, which is all the Dems have to pound away on and it's getting pretty tired. Maybe it will work out for them in the end but if the American economy keeps growing, along with jobs and wages, most people won't care if he is an ass.

The Republicans know exactly what 2. above is all about and how it's going to end. The Dems can't focus on anything else which is just fine by the Republicans.   

oh look, People Magazine posted an article containing the phone numbers and twitter handles of every senator and state representative in the US 

of course this is nothing new

http://people.com/crime/people-call-to-action-contact-congress-stop-gun-violence/?utm_campaign=peoplemag&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

19 hours ago, pigseye said:

1. They knew the Russians had been hacking their elections since 2008, it's why Obama expelled all the Russian diplomats and expanded sanctions, again nothing to see here despite what you think.

2. The US does not have a federal statute punishing corrupt efforts to influence an election, unless done by particular prohibited acts such as vote buying or illegal political contributions. There is a statute punishing conspiracies to defraud the United States, including conspiracies to interfere with a governmental function by fraud. Special counsel Robert Mueller will surely focus on whether a conspiracy to interfere with the right to honest elections is a crime, but the question is greatly complicated by the 100-year-old Gradwell case; that case refused to apply the statute to interference in elections for senators and representatives, because the Constitution and laws assign to the states, not the federal government, the regulation of elections for those offices. It would not be a large step to say the same is true of the election of the Electoral College in presidential elections. Collusion with the Russians in attempting to affect the outcome of the presidential election is a serious political scandal, but it is not clear that it provides a basis for criminal prosecution. You don't think the Democrats know this? Everything the liberal media outlets report fails to mention this, yet they continues to stoke the fire that somehow this is going to bring down the Whitehouse, that is partisan politics at it's worst. 

3. Hard to believe that 40% of Americans think like Trump but they do and that's reality, calling them a basket of deplorable's though is not how you win them over.

4. When the President is actually convicted of a criminal offense worthy of impeachment. So far, he's guilty of bad taste and nothing more, which is all the Dems have to pound away on and it's getting pretty tired. Maybe it will work out for them in the end but if the American economy keeps growing, along with jobs and wages, most people won't care if he is an ass.

The Republicans know exactly what 2. above is all about and how it's going to end. The Dems can't focus on anything else which is just fine by the Republicans.   

1. Again you’re allowing trump love to cloud the reality of the situation.  Attempts to internet and actually working with a candidate and his campaign are very different. Why would you not want to know?

2. Again it’s illegal. Which is why 13 Russians weee indicted. Trumpologists keep saying “that’s it?” every time Mueller adds another charge or guilty plea. Let it play out. Why wouldn’t you want it to play out?

3.  Yes it’s really unbelievable that so many Americans think that way. We ca agree on that.  Calling them names is a stupid thing for a candidate to do even if it’s largely true. 

4. I think you’re confused about how impeachment works. The president doesn’t get convicted of a crime and then get impeached. Mueller cannot indict the President. He won’t. What he might do is identify crimes he believes to have been committed and refer it to the deputy AG. He may then refer it to the House which would charge the President and vote on impeachment. If they agree by a simple majority the President is then impeached. It then goes to then senate where a 2/3 vote is required to remove him from office which is unlikely. 

However where trump is likely concerned is investigations into his business conduct. If there is evidence of money laundering the FBI might be waiting for him the day his presidency ends. 

What a joke....i can see if the Russkies actually manipulated the votes but really cause they posted a bunch of pro - Trump on facebook? Any voter who can be swayed by some random facebook swill really does it matter? Is their any way to protect someone that feeble minded? The left is just going to have to wait till the next election to vote out Trump...the old fashioned way. Hopefully 100 million lazy assed American voters get off their asses and vote in the next election so all this whining can stop. Maybe Oprah can save em....??

25 minutes ago, bb1 said:

What a joke....i can see if the Russkies actually manipulated the votes but really cause they posted a bunch of pro - Trump on facebook? Any voter who can be swayed by some random facebook swill really does it matter? Is their any way to protect someone that feeble minded? The left is just going to have to wait till the next election to vote out Trump...the old fashioned way. Hopefully 100 million lazy assed American voters get off their asses and vote in the next election so all this whining can stop. Maybe Oprah can save em....??

I think you’re understating the campaign Russia launched to meddle. And people need to stop assuming every move Mueller makes is “all there is”. 

If at the end of the day he concludes trump and his campaign were not involved (or unwittingly involved) then So be it. Let it play out. 

52 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Small fish Gates is rolling over on little bigger fish Manafort, now who will Manafort roll over on to save save some of his skin, like many have said follow the money.

just read this comment elsewhere

Wouldn't be surprised if Manafort is suddenly killed in a car wreck, or accidentally falls out a 20 story window, or is struck by lightening.

or tragic "suicide".

stay away from umbrellas Paul. 

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think you’re understating the campaign Russia launched to meddle. And people need to stop assuming every move Mueller makes is “all there is”. 

If at the end of the day he concludes trump and his campaign were not involved (or unwittingly involved) then So be it. Let it play out. 

Nope not understating just really when you look at it,its just trying to influence people how to vote.  If your relying on one form of media to base your opinions on candidates, well your either very naive or lacking in any form of real intelligence. How do you prevent people from following drivel on social media?

One of the other interesting items in Trump's latest box barrage of tweets:

I NEVER SAID RUSSIA DID NOT MEDDLE IN THE ELECTION!

It was the D.N.C. that did the ‘hacking.

I don’t believe they interfered. That became a laughing point, not a talking point, a laughing point.

Every time Putin sees me, he says, ‘I didn’t do that.’”  And I believe — I really believe that when he tells me that, he means it. But he says, ‘I didn’t do that.’” “I think that he is very, very strong in the fact that he didn’t do it

Well, at least the Don, is actually telling the truth......about Putin "laughing his ass off"

His using the Parkland shooting to advance his nasty narrative of FBI witch hunt is another example of how ridiculous his admin is.  Again, had Obama or Bush or Clinton tweeted that out when they were president it would have been the biggest news story of the year.  He will throw anyone under the bus to protect himself.  Which makes the news that Mueller is looking into Kushner business deals all the more interesting.  How much fun it will be when Trump tries to pretend he doesnt know him? hahahaha

The end game for these guys is Trump pardons them all.  Unfortunately.

Oh and ofcourse, the Trumpologists like to say "thats it?" every time Mueller does anything...and yet its never "it".  Always more to come.