Around The League Off Season Discussion

While Best has struggled with injury issues over the past few years, his retirement is a big loss for the Riders. The guys they played at guard last year like Andrew Jones, Matt Vonk and even St John struggled. They still have issues with ni talent and this hurts that too. If Labatte retires or can't go, it gets worse and as I recall Labatte had a serious injury too last year.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I've always thought Neufeld would be a perfect 6th man because of his versatility... seems unlikely (or at least less likely) to get hurt if he's only playing sparingly... too bad he's being paid like a starter...

Is he?  I think lots of 6th OL are making in the 100k-120k range.  I'm not sure what Neufeld's salary is.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I've always thought Neufeld would be a perfect 6th man because of his versatility... seems unlikely (or at least less likely) to get hurt if he's only playing sparingly... too bad he's being paid like a starter...

If his salary already has decided his fate he will be gone before camp starts.  I suspect it hasn't.

We will carry 4-5 NI Olinemen somewhere on the roster even if we only start 2.  Chungh, Goossen and Couture makes 3.  Inzandt could be the 4th.  A draft pick could be the 5th.  But maybe neither of those guys are good enough right now, and until there is some certainty there, Walters might be prepared to spend a few more dollars on his depth at NI Olineman and find the savings somewhere else.

Well, as of Wednesday, the Roughriders had signed nine free agents from other CFL teams — the highest such number in the league. 
The Toronto Argonauts were next at eight, followed by the Ottawa Redblacks (six), Edmonton Eskimos (five), B.C. Lions (four), Calgary Stampeders (four), Montreal Alouettes (four), Winnipeg Blue Bombers (three) and Hamilton Tiger-Cats (one).
B.C. and Calgary each had re-signed or extended the contracts of 15 of its free agents, with Montreal (14), Ottawa (14), Winnipeg (10), Edmonton (seven), Hamilton (six), Toronto (six) and Saskatchewan (three) rounding out the list.

Scott Mitchell - It’s absolutely amazing that in 8 years with the Stamps Drew Tate threw 572 passes........Bo Levi Mitchell threw 606 last year alone.

Matt Baker - Tony Burnett could be the biggest piece of the puzzle for the Lions. He attended Lions camp in 2014 but there was no way he was cracking the roster. Not with Bighill and Solomon Elimimian entering the most dominant portion of the “Team 100” era.

The #Riders have wasted no time assigning Darian Durant's old no. 4. It will be worn by new safety Marc-Olivier Broulliette. #CFL
Ed Willes: Canucks owners kick the tires on the B.C. Lions bit.ly/2lfpn02.  The Aquilini's believe they can turn the #BCLions into a profitable venture. - @willesonsports #CFL                                 
CFL History - Bud Grant was a #CFL player and #NFL Head Coach.  He along with Moon are the only people in both the @CFHOF & @ProFootballHOF.
-In 1978 as a result of being undrafted by the #NFL, Warren Moon joined the #Eskimos & help lead the team to 5 consecutive Grey Cups. #CFL. 
In 1984, Moon joined the #NFL & had a stellar 17 year career. He is one of only 2 people in both the @CFHOF & @ProFootballHOF #CFL

Bob Irving - I Don't like a "Reginan" skipping "Manitobas" team at the Scotties--but I do like how they're kicking butt?.
Drew Edwards - Defensive back Rico Murray the latest former #Ticats player to join #Argos #CFL #CFLFreeAgency 

CFL News - "It makes too much sense not to happen (Popp/Trestman/Johnny Manziel to #Argos)" - @TSNDaveNaylor #CFL #Argos via @hustlerlawless
?.@VinceYoung10 seeks 'Make Vince Great Again' trademark fw.to/K5aSIij #CFL #Riders #NFL via @nfl ?
#Argos close to wrapping deals to make Jim Popp GM and Marc Trestman head coach. #CFL via @ArashMadani