Around The League Off Season Discussion

@garylawless

don't expect @TorontoArgos to reach out to other @cfl #cfl teams for HC candidates before window closes on Jan. 31. Plan is to hire GM first

@HerbZurkowsky1

Veteran #AlsMTL offensive lineman Jeff Perrett has been released.

Edited by Noeller

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

@HerbZurkowsky1

Veteran #AlsMTL offensive lineman Jeff Perrett has been released.

A bit surprising, I think he has at least a little left in the tank.

I don't see a fit here, but he could be a worthy add somewhere like in Calgary if Federkeil retires.

7 hours ago, Judd said:

Is he an upgrade over Todd Howard? Our d-line has been very dissappointing imo

Thats an interesting question. We under performed heavily at DL. Against both the run and  rushing the passer. Despite having a bunch of talent. What ever the cause thats gotta be high on the list of priorities this off season. 

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Thats an interesting question. We under performed heavily at DL. Against both the run and  rushing the passer. Despite having a bunch of talent. What ever the cause thats gotta be high on the list of priorities this off season. 

I would think one reason is the constant musical chair on the other DE spot (opposite Westerman) - neither Shayon Green nor Justin Cole is the answer there. 

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I would think one reason is the constant musical chair on the other DE spot (opposite Westerman) - neither Shayon Green nor Justin Cole is the answer there. 

that's definitely a big part of why Westerman's numbers were way down. Other teams were able to key on him and effectively take him out of the game, because nobody on the other side was really effective. 

There were issues on the DL last year, but there's nobody on this board who knows enough to say whether that was coaching or talent...

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

how old is hughes and bowman?

Hughes is 2 years older than Westerman and Bowman 3 years older.  I'm not saying Westerman's career is over or anything of the sort, just that he's starting to approach the age where most players start to drop off.

Just because Jaromir Jagr can play hockey at 46 doesn't mean all players can, and the same principle applies to a guy like John Bowman.  It's different for everyone but there are some common trends that apply in *most* cases.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

that's definitely a big part of why Westerman's numbers were way down. Other teams were able to key on him and effectively take him out of the game, because nobody on the other side was really effective.

He had Peach on the other side in 2015 and he put up big numbers. Kind of kills this argument...

11 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

He had Peach on the other side in 2015 and he put up big numbers. Kind of kills this argument...

Was also his first year. Teams had a full year of tape on him in 2016. I still tend to agree with you, but as a first year player you have an opportunity to show somethings early and other things later that can lead to success. In his second year, most if not all of his tricks/skills etc etc where out of the bag and tackles knew what they were getting.

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Depends on what you think of Peach vs the guys we had this year....your assumptions kind of kill your argument...

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

oh right...totally am.

easy to see how youd think that. We were heavily into the merry go round of QBs at that point. Rough times. 

8 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I actually like cole, but either the system is and coaching is awful or he cant maintain his flashes. Certainly a guy id be happy to keep around on the PR if he plays like last year. I certainly wouldnt settle for him to go into camp in a starter position. 

A few good guys available on the DL this year. Knapton, micah johnson, and marcus howard would all be nice. Westerman and most of the former bomber retreads seem like low hanging fruit, low risk low reward types.  De is an easy spot to go down south and find a plug n play guy who can be a star right away. Unless you really need one lol.