Is lapolice the weak link in our offense?

wbbfan

Would you fire paul lapolice?   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring in a new OC next year?

• Yes
    • no

12 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Sorry to say this but I said when they hired him that he is not what Bomber fans want or need. Yes we made the playoffs but can you honestly say we did that because of the offense???? Look at the stats. Unfortunately he has learned little from his stint with TSN and his supposed trips south to pick the brains of OC's down there. BUT we are in the playoffs soon to be dispatched after the BC game and will do it all again next year with the same coaching staff. 

My apologies if I offend anyone but it is what it is. We need a new thinker for an OC not a retread and certainly not any of the current assistant coaches. Where and who I simply don't know but it is a change we need. If you look around we are using retreads as coaches where other teams are using retired players with a perchance to coach. Look at Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto. While some flourish and other flounder they are not as bad or at least the same as we are. 

I don't think I've ever read a more misguided post in my time on this board, and I've seen some real doozies and contributed a few whoppers myself.  Congratulations, you've won some kind of award.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

A few times this year plop has been applauded for good game plans. On here, and in the media. Over all though, many seem to be critical of him. (my self included)

Throwing it out now as post season success or lack of would dramatically skew the results. 

Offensive stats. 

2nd fewest turn overs.

3rd fewest sacks allowed.

8th for time of possession.

5th in rush yards. 

3 way tie for 4th in rushing tds. 

8th in passing tds. 

6th in passing yards (only none play off teams below us)

4th in points scored. Including Fgs, xpts, points scored by the D.

Success of the smith package, wr sweep/reverse. 

Smith 5 carries for 5 yards. Darvin adams, 1 carry 1 yard. dressler 5 carries 45 yards (20 on one) kohlert 1 carry -1 yard. Mcduffie 3- 17 yards. 

DI useage. Mcduffie had 6 games with 0 catches. 1 game he had 153 1 td out of 241 for 1 td for the year.

Flanders started 3 games and was DI'd 4 times. In those 4 games he got 4 runs and 1 catch. 

Harris played great but only reached or passed 20 carries in a game once. He wasnt used heavily in bc as a runner but still had a down year in terms of tds avg etc. But the OL to start the year was brutal. An offence like ours should have used him much more though. We shouldnt go quarters and halves of games with out him involved. 

We brought in gurley, but made very little use of him. No end zone fades.

We saw strong success with nichols on the roll when teams were aggressive, but then would go away from it. Shot gun plays in the red zone, Not making good use of play action, screens shovel pass, fades etc in the red zone. 2nd and short draw plays. We also lacked diversity in our run plays. Despite harris doing very well on off tackle runs stretches etc. 

Does making the play offs and early season qb/ol changes buy him another year?

Yup...you were the guy who said many games ago that Lapolice would be replaced with Buck before the end of the season...You're dislike for him is obvious and you cherry pick stats to try and prove your point. Forget about stats, when was the last time we won 11 games and could have been more if not for Drew Willy?

13 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Sorry to say this but I said when they hired him that he is not what Bomber fans want or need. Yes we made the playoffs but can you honestly say we did that because of the offense???? Look at the stats. Unfortunately he has learned little from his stint with TSN and his supposed trips south to pick the brains of OC's down there. BUT we are in the playoffs soon to be dispatched after the BC game and will do it all again next year with the same coaching staff. 

My apologies if I offend anyone but it is what it is. We need a new thinker for an OC not a retread and certainly not any of the current assistant coaches. Where and who I simply don't know but it is a change we need. If you look around we are using retreads as coaches where other teams are using retired players with a perchance to coach. Look at Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto. While some flourish and other flounder they are not as bad or at least the same as we are. 

We need someone better, but you don't know who... great! We are using retreads... if a retread is defined as someone who coached on another team before ours... then aren't all teams using retreads? You want former players given a chance to coach... have you forgotten about Buck Pierce (QB coach), Avon Cobourne (RB coach) and Mike O'Shea?

Lapolice has been his best as a play caller when he's had someone to push him off the form chart, like Ken Miller.  He still tries to incorporate some of that wackiness they had in Saskatchewan, but his timing is bad.  I'm not sure we have anyone on the staff capable of pushing Lapolice, maybe O'Shea will build that rapport with him.

He will need to excel at being an OC before he will be hired as a HC somewhere else. Would he really be even considered for a HC job anywhere, or is just Winnipegers who think he should be (because he's a nice guy)... Our offense is better, but it's not like we're lighting things on fire.

I'm not a huge fan of Lapo, but we really need consistency, which in time will lead to better results. One thing, and I don't think it's the only thing, that I believe has led to some of Calgary's success has been their consistency. Normally if an OC had the success that Dickenson had earlier in his coaching career, he quickly becomes a HC of another team. The players would then have to learn a new system, and new terminology. With the consistency that they've had, the players already know their base and can easily build off that, and just continue to build even more.

21 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

It could play out like this: 

1) LaPolice gets a HC gig somewhere, and that's entirely possible.

2) Milanovich walks the plank for the Boatmen.

3) O'Shea hires his good buddy Scott Milanovich as our new OC.

Now we're talking...

I said it before, I'd kill to have Milanovich as our oc. I still think he gets canned from Toronto and ends up back in Montreal as their new field boss.

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't think I've ever read a more misguided post in my time on this board, and I've seen some real doozies and contributed a few whoppers myself.  Congratulations, you've won some kind of award.

You understood it? Wow. 

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

85% are in favour of keeping Mr. LaPolice. Now what do we do with these results?

either extrapolate advanced metrics or just sit back and watch. Bombers win the GC, every one will talk about him as the next hot HC in the cfl. Lose, and hes gonna get the paul mccallum/sask treatment.

11 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Lapo the problem? Sheesh....that's some kinda crazy. Does no one remember how pedestrian Nichols looked last year and how hopelessly awful our offence was the last 2-3 years? Our offence is infinitely better this year. It still has a way to go, but quite frankly that's more a personnel issue than a coaching issue.

You mean behind the worst OL in the league vs in his time this year arguable the best? 

20 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

His play calling can be frustrating at times, but really who do you guys want? People are begging for Milanovich. You really want the guy who just convinced his GM to give up an arm and a leg for our horrible Quarterback?

No OC in the league did more with less than Lapo did this year. We were winning games with Matt Nichols at QB and no talent at receiver aside from Clarence Denmark. Ending up at 11-7 this year, after being handcuffed with Willy followed by our rash of injuries is actually an outstanding accomplishment. 

where are you getting this insight of milano convincing his gm to sell the farm like he did for willy?

More with less? An Elite Ol and RB for the nichols era. Tons of talent at WR. Though some guys seem very poorly used. Maybe smith is a bust. But gurley too? Worst offensive production of any play off team. No way thats doing the most with what he had. 

On 11/7/2016 at 6:10 PM, Noeller said:

I don't think Lapo is any kind of world beater as OC, but I really fear the constant changing of schemes...we have swapped out so many OCs over the last decade.

Idk about that. Has our scheme changed from belifool? Our play calling has changed and weve seen some wrinkles but its very much the same offensive system. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

either extrapolate advanced metrics or just sit back and watch. Bombers win the GC, every one will talk about him as the next hot HC in the cfl. Lose, and hes gonna get the paul mccallum/sask treatment.

Pffft. Lmao @ "advanced metrics". What a load of crap. 

I didn't expect a personal attack on this topic. The reality is Lapo has been an OC with the Bomber in the past. He took over Rick Worman's offense and bathed in the adulations of its success his first year. After that, that offense went down the tubs and he was subsequently was fired 2 years later. He was rehired with Sask I believe and to his credit won a grey cup with them however the team that won the grey cup was not offensive orientated but rather defensive orientated. I'll let you read into that what you will. He was then HC of the Bombers and that resulted in failure, which I'm sure you are aware of as you are certainly old enough to remember that. He was subsequently fired from that job because our team was terrible, to say the least and our offense was.......I'll let you fill in the blanks.

He then took on the TSN gig which was perhaps the biggest and best job he had ever held. He had no defense to counter his assertions that this or that offense was superior. He also indicated that he had learned from his mistakes by going south to learn from the souther OC coordinators with little or no confirmation of the same. Actually the confirmation comes from this season with the Bombers his first since his last firing!

What have we learned, not him. First he doesn't  use his most dynamic offensive weapon nearly enough. Second he has not learned that in order to be successful you have to stretch the defense so that the run game and the short passing game can be effective. Third he hasn't learned that time of possession is critical to the other 1/3 of the team.....defense. The longer the offense is on the field the less the defense is resulting in better field possession and a more aggressive defense. And forth the better the offense plays the better the whole team plays......better field possession....less reliance on a 50 yard field goal kickerKI for points....and less opportunity for the other team to generate momentum.

It is really a simple equation and yet Lapo and all his hip from TSN "coach's playbook" has resulted in nothing learned, nothing gained, same story.

I am really sorry to say this but reality is reality. Simply look at the stats shown and the team record to date.

I'm really sorry if I offend any one with my comments however I thought this board was one where one could comment freely without any personal attacks. I'm sorry to say I'm not sure that is the case.

I am a Bomber fan, have been for some time although honestly have lost a lot of heart lately because of several issues with the Bombers but that is not the discussion here; it is merely about the well being of the team and those who comment freely (?) about it. Hopefully we can continue to voice our opinions without retribution or attack. Good luck to the Bombers this weekend. Hopefully they will do well and win in BC. My gut says not but my heart says yes.

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You mean behind the worst OL in the league vs in his time this year arguable the best? 

where are you getting this insight of milano convincing his gm to sell the farm like he did for willy?

More with less? An Elite Ol and RB for the nichols era. Tons of talent at WR. Though some guys seem very poorly used. Maybe smith is a bust. But gurley too? Worst offensive production of any play off team. No way thats doing the most with what he had. 

Idk about that. Has our scheme changed from belifool? Our play calling has changed and weve seen some wrinkles but its very much the same offensive system. 

Just when I thought you might be making a case for your argument, you go and say something like that and totally discredit it. There is very little that is similar between Lapo's and Bellfool's approach to the passing game. Polar opposites really.

4 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Just when I thought you might be making a case for your argument, you go and say something like that and totally discredit it. There is very little that is similar between Lapo's and Bellfool's approach to the passing game. Polar opposites really.

Say what? Its the same short pass possession offense meant to grind out clock, yards, and first downs. This years version does it better, but it is still clearly the same system. It does the same thing our D gives up and believes wont work. Might make a case? read the wall of text in the first post stating the facts. Then go and look at facts posted to the opposite. Oh wait...

12 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Pffft. Lmao @ "advanced metrics". What a load of crap. 

xD I dont think they will be big in football any time soon.

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Say what? Its the same short pass possession offense meant to grind out clock, yards, and first downs. This years version does it better, but it is still clearly the same system. It does the same thing our D gives up and believes wont work. Might make a case? read the wall of text in the first post stating the facts. Then go and look at facts posted to the opposite. Oh wait...

xD I dont think they will be big in football any time soon.

I see no facts other than some carefully and cherry picked stats. If your argument that Lapo and Bellfools systems are the same because they share some common philosophies then you may as well say every OC in this league runs the same system.

However, a quick look beyond that will show that Lapo and MB run drastically different playbooks and schemes within their philosophies. Right from how the QB goes through progressions, route tree options and routes for receivers and the utilization of progressions, how they attack the field, to the depth of the pocket, timing of plays and variance in pass protection are literally night and day different.