In Case You're Interested????

Mr Dee

After Week 19
Bye Toronto

5 NOTABLE NUMBERS CFL 

146: Points generated off turnovers by the Bombers this year, most in the CFL.
99.3: Matt Nichols’ QB rating, courtesy a 68.9 completion percentage and a 15:5 touchdown-to-interception ratio.
7: Interception totals for both Maurice Leggett and T.J. Heath, tied for first in the CFL. Leggett has also returned three of those for TDs.
1,547: The Bombers penalty yardage total this year, third most in the CFL.
4-4: Winnipeg’s home record this season. A win Saturday against Ottawa would give the club its first winning home season since going 5-4 in 2011.

Derek Taylor 

Dropped interceptions by Defences
Toronto 11p
Calgary  9
Sask.     9
Edm.     8
Ham.     8
BC.       6
Mont.    5
Ottawa  5
Wig.      5

?‍?This sounds sort of familiar - "10 points scored off of Stoudermire’s fumbles so far."

Ed Willis - The Province
BC LIONS - Against teams under .500, their record is 8-1.
Before Saturday’s meeting with the Edmonton Eskimos, their record against teams over .500 was 1-5.

?‍?A big (6'2" 210 Lbs.) reason why BC Lions beat Edmonton last Saturday - Mainly Arceneaux. It was Mainly Manny because he was so powerful and he refused to be tackled. I heard Edmonton was taunting him, telling him how they were going to shut him down like the last time they met. I don't think that was a very good idea. Result - 132 yards and 2 TDs. The guy just made catches and bowled over opponents to get more yards. I guess they should have just zipped it.

?‍?Weird how Ottawa was in position to win their game last week against Hamilton, but instead of using the 'hot' Henry Burris in the final moments, they went conservative, and had to punt. They were too far away to try a FG. Should have pressed in that final minute.

?‍?Ottawa has played 4 overtime games this year 1-2-1
Kirk Penton
The fourth released #Argos receiver, Phil Bates, has signed with the #Roughriders. #CFL

CFL History
A promotion giving away cigars at the 1962 Grey Cup turned disastrous as the smoke from 32,655 smoking spectators engulfed the field #CFL
Actually,
(50th Grey Cup was suspended with 9 minutes left in the 4th Q due to a thick fog that was coming in off Lake Ontario) #CFL

Derek Taylor
Unsurprising but...Tackles give up as many pressures as Guards and Centres combined this season:
T: 365
G: 236.5
C: 117.5
#Details #CFL

Kent Austin on John Chick
"He's played well all year. He's been an impact player for us, a great leader in the locker-room."

CFL.caStaff
Hamilton has led the league in sacks for eleven out of 18 weeks of the 2016 season and currently sit in second, just two sacks behind the Calgary Stampeders.

Kirk penton
The CFL is on the verge of a couple of rare happenings.
-The first one is in the East Division, where there is a mighty fine chance the first place team is going to finish with a losing record. That has never happened before.
-The other oddity is road teams have still won more games than the home sides, and it looks like it's going to remain that way.

-The CFL says 56% of its matches this season have been decided in the final three minutes. That is up from 54% last season but slightly down from 57% two years ago.

Dickenson: Looks like Bakari Grant will be available for the post-season

"Not just on the team level but organizationally... the depth has been just terrific this year." - Coach O'Shea

?  #BCLions mourn loss of former head coach Vic Rapp ?
Details?? ow.ly/Fogc305z3tM

"You need to be playing good, tough, clean football... because the further you go, the more magnified those mistakes get." - Coach O'Shea

One CFL source says, “Calgary’s a 12 win team without Bo.” He makes a good Stampeders team elite. 

?‍?This is amazing - Davaris Daniels. The young pass catcher had never played a professional down until August and Mitchell’s helped the quick ascension. - CFL

?‍?I'm on the side of those who believe Bighill didn't deserve a fine for rolling into the QB last week. It does not compute.

CFL Headlines
Lions’ Adam Bighill to appeal $500 fine for hit on Eskimos QB — and… goo.gl/fb/IOqaia @theprovince #CFL

Kirk Penton Wpg Sun
Hall has a different definition for big plays, which he calls “explosions.” Any time the opponent produces 15 yards on a play, it's an explosion.

“That's what I told these guys the other day,” Hall said. “We've given up 140-something explosion plays of 15 plus yards, and we're 10-6. If we can cut down on those explosion plays, even just 10 percent, you're talking two or three a game. That might equate to two more wins.

-Khalil Bass
“When we get down inside the red zone we just focus on getting the ball, and 'zero, one, three' is our motto. We only give up zero points, one point or three points.”

?‍?Ho hum, another weekend of football, another blown officiating call. It's bad enough the call on the field is wrong/bad/missed/badly interpreted, but the review or the officials watching 'upstairs' should a) know the rule B) find the correct rule and finally c) have that ruling straightened out in a matter of a minute or two. 
Let's not give those, who want to downgrade this league, the means to do so.

?‍?Another bad injury - Andy Fantuz

?‍?How about that Nic Lewis. Lewis had a game-high eight catches for 94 yards on Sunday as he moved past  Allen Pitts (966 receptions) and tied Darren Flutie (972) for fourth on the CFL’s all-time list. 
And he's coming back in 2017..

RT .@calstampeders
Dickenson: Running back Tory Harrison popped his Achilles and is done for the season #CFL #Calstampeders

Scott Fisher Calgary Herald
Als rookie QB Vernon Adams is the ninth different starter the club has used in the 64 games since Anthony Calvillo’s last start 
-The Alouettes are 4-6 against the West. The rest of the East Division is a combined 6-19-1.

Kirk Penton
Barring any ties, there are eight outcome combinations from the games involving the Bombers, Lions and Eskimos on the final weekend of the CFL regular season.

Six of those permutations have the Lions (11-6) finishing second, the Bombers (10-7) third and the Eskimos (9-8) fourth in the West Division. All have clinched playoff berths with the crossover in effect, and the Eskimos cannot finish second.
-So it should all come down to the Blue and Gold. If they beat the Ottawa Redblacks on Friday night at TD Place they will finish third and visit the Lions in the West semifinal. If they lose to the Redblacks, they will travel to Hamilton and take on the Ticats in the East Division semifinal as the crossover team.

?‍?Have to mention Sinopoli's great leaping catch in front of Loffler, and between Leggett and Burnett. That catch put him over 1000 yards for the season.

?‍?Word is LaPolice is drafting a game plan that assures Harris will win the CFL rushing title. He only needs 284 yards...

Justin Dunk
#Alouettes LB Kyries Hebert a big reason why #CalStampeders QB Bo Levi Mitchell did not play in #Montreal. #CFL

CFL Communications
The @EdmontonEsks' @AdariusBowman has 40 2nd-down conversion catches this season, 1 off Jamel Richardson's record of 41 set in 2011. #CFL

Nik Lewis: Has 90 catches this year and 965 for his career. He is now only one back of Allen Pitts at #5 all-time with 966 and 7 back of Darren Flutie at 972 and #4.

The Ti-Cats have done what no team has ever accomplished before. In 2016, they have come back from 15 or more points to win on three occasions. In CFL history, the most that any club has done that in one season is just twice.
The Eskimos have come back from 10 or more points to win on three occasions themselves this season.

Hamilton Sacks – In their 7 wins: 34 (4.9 per game); In their 9 losses: 13 (1.4 per game).
Ottawa rolled up 514 yards of offence last week vs the Hamilton defence including 418 passing and 33 first downs.

Addison ready to make his mark — and a catch
“If it doesn't happen for me this year, I'm finally going to have an off-season where I'm healthy,” Richards said. “The last time I was healthy for an off-season was 2014, and that turned out pretty good (he led the CIS with 916 receiving yards).
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/10/26/addison-ready-to-make-his-mark--and-a-catch

?‍?There is something else significant on the line this weekend: The first pick in next year's draft. If the Argos lose to the Eskimos, the Bombers will get No. 1 overall since they acquired Toronto's first round selection in the Drew Willy trade. If the Argos and Roughriders both lose, Toronto still finishes last and Winnipeg gets the first pick ... 

THE INSIDERS SAY -Kirk Penton 

CFL coaches and managers give their anonymous thoughts on what they’re talking about behind closed doors:

I don't know his numbers. I don't keep up with that crap, but (Henry) Burris is the real MOP over in the East ... 

Dave Dickenson is the coach of the year. Keeping a team playing at a high level every week is extremely hard. By rights if he wanted to, they would have had the best record in league history. To do that as a first-year head coach is unparalleled. Also, he is the offensive co-ordinator and has a first-year defensive co-ordinator ... ?‍?(TBurgess, is this you?)

Three minutes left, the score was 17-8. They could have kicked a 16 yard field goal and made it a one score game. He may be coach of the year, but Dave (Dickenson) (bleeped) up on that one ... 

I can understand why the Lions (brought back Paul McCallum), but I think they will end up disappointed. If you watched him last year he wasn't the same, especially as the year went on. I am guessing he hasn't kicked consistently for a year now. Last year Saskatchewan brought him in shortly after he had attended Lions training camp. Now, he still may be an improvement, so it may be the right move ... 
-Mike Beamish
#CFL's all-time scoring leader, Lui Passaglia, retired at 46. Paul McCallum, No. 2 all-time scorer, coming out of retirement to play at 46.

?‍?Is it remarkable that the BC Lions have signed a 46 year-old to kick those oh-so-important place kicks?

(Darian) Durant fumbled. They (bleeped) up that review. (Chris) Jones was right. It was illegal contact on the same play. They (bleeped) that up, too. And they (bleeped) up the onside kick in the Edmonton-Hamilton game. This is embarrassing ... 

(Paul) LaPolice gets conservative in big games. He did that Saturday when they lost to Ottawa ... ?‍?To that I say - yeah, we know.

I played more football than everybody on that officiating crew combined. (Darian) Durant fumbled on that play ... 

The loss of (Andy) Fantuz will hurt Hamilton significantly. He was a great security blanket for both quarterbacks. They already lost two veteran presences, and he was the last one. They are going to have to win with specials and defence ... ?‍?Big time loss for Hamilton.

If there's one thing the league needs to change in the off-season it's officiating and replay, more specifically the role and function of the command centre. How exactly? I'll have to get back to you on that one ... 

If the three non-playoff teams were a stock and I had to buy one, it would be the Riders. They have a younger roster that's extremely athletic. They have long players who can move. If you can sign the quarterback (Darian Durant), you have the best one available amongst those three teams. Defensively they really improved from the beginning of the year until now. They have the talent to be successful on offence and special teams. They are a year ahead of the process Toronto and Montreal will begin this off-season ... 

The Stampeders should win three league awards and possibly four: MOP, rookie, offensive lineman and defensive player ... 

Would I ever tank to get the crossover? No, based on my integrity. But if the playoff structure changed and it was the top teams, this wouldn't be an issue. No one has ever tanked that I know of, but if Edmonton crosses over they aren't complaining.

CFL Headlines
News Release:  Forced into Live Mic Broadcast, Jason Maas Vows to Get Creative goo.gl/fb/hKSiwK
?‍?Probably will be Edmonton's highlight move of the night...

?‍?Can you say resting a few players....Hamilton - Among those who did not take first teams reps during Tuesday’s practice: linebackers Simoni Lawrence and Larry Dean, Canadian defensive tackles Ted Laurent and Mike Atkinson, running back C.J. Gable, defensive end Adrian Tracy, guard Ryan Bomben and safety Emanuel Davis. - Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards - Hamilton's injury list:
Johnny Sears, defensive back: possible for East Semi-Final
Luke Tasker, receiver: possible for East Final (if the Ticats make it)
Rico Murray, defensive back: possible for East Final
Ross Scheuerman, running back: possible for East Final
Andy Fantuz, receiver: out for the season
Chad Owens, receiver: out for season
Demond Washington, defensive back: out for season
Jeremy Lewis, offensive lineman: out for season
Shane Herbert, Canadian defensive back: out for season
Jake Olson, offensive lineman: out for season
Johnny Adams DB - still being looked at

Gary Lawless
Hearing Cleyon Laing's #cfl @REDBLACKS deal pays him 25 k for Friday's reg season game and then what he makes in playoffs. FA next season
-player share for div final is $3,600. $16,000 for Grey Cup winner, $8,000 for loser. So Laing could make up to $44,600 if @REDBLACKS win GC

Lawless on Chungh
Sukh is gonna get paid. Developed into a key piece on Bombers line

?‍?78% of fans have voted on a short poll on whether the CFL should start a month earlier...Troy Westwood's...

?‍?Nobody asked:
but I confirm to myself, that the two most important signings this year are Medlock and Harris. And I can't get it down to just one...
?‍?-Rakeem Cato looked like a QB again against Calgary. It makes me pine for a QB who can run and prevent the D from coming on strong. Something that opposing Ds have done to us for years. I wish we could have a package(s) for a guy like Davis to throw off the opposition. But alas, I don't think we are forward thinking enough for that.

?‍?With all the talk about Ottawa resting a lot of their players, at what point does O'Shea sit our starting QB?

?‍?I agree with Eric M on the surprise on this one: Really? Damaso Munoz over Zack Evans, who is one of his best at his position regardless of passport?

Herb Zurkowsky
Vernon Adams taking first-team reps for #Als

Ed Tait
No Travis Bond at #Bombers practice today. Jermarcus Hardrick at LG; Manase Foketi at RT

Next: Week 20

bye Calgary

Edited by Mr Dee

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You don't say... Gee I wish someone would have said this before we hired him... oh wait, everyone did!

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You don't say... Gee I wish someone would have said this before we hired him... oh wait, everyone did!

The problem with being a one-trick pony like LaPolice seems to be (and maybe Hall as well) is that once the opposition scopes you out, you're boned.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can you believe we may get the first pick in the draft? Hard to believe what the Argos did to get Drew Willy. What a mistake that is going to turn out to be.

The irony is funny... 2013 we are absolute hot garbage but pick 2nd in 14 cuz Ottawa joins the league... 2014, pretty terrible again, but not as bad as Ottawa, 2nd pick in 15... 2015, team still sucks, but doesn't suck as much as Sask (I know this one is moot b/c we didn't have a 16 first rounder).... now in 2016 we have a 10-11 win season... and NOW we are likely to get 1st overall next year...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

The irony is funny... 2013 we are absolute hot garbage but pick 2nd in 14 cuz Ottawa joins the league... 2014, pretty terrible again, but not as bad as Ottawa, 2nd pick in 15... 2015, team still sucks, but doesn't suck as much as Sask (I know this one is moot b/c we didn't have a 16 first rounder).... now in 2016 we have a 10-11 win season... and NOW we are likely to get 1st overall next year...

Just lose Argos.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:10 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can you believe we may get the first pick in the draft? Hard to believe what the Argos did to get Drew Willy. What a mistake that is going to turn out to be.

top 2-3 pick at worst ( I think 2nd at worst? idk) a starting young DB who could turn into a star for a QB who probably ill be going into his last year next year. :lol: One of the most one sided deals in recent history. 

On 11/2/2016 at 10:46 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If neither Davis or Bennett work out as the near-future QB, I'd like to see LeFevour invited to TC as a backup to Nichols.  He's not #1 QB material but he would be a great option to work in some red-zone packages for and he runs like a bull.

No qbs are under contract for next year. I wouldnt be surprised to see heavy turn over at the qb position. I wouldnt be surprised to see only one of bennet or davis back but both could be gone. Dont think glenn will be back either. I could see us going after another teams back up as a guy to come in and push / back up. Thats the position of greatest interest imop in the off season. 

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

top 2-3 pick at worst ( I think 2nd at worst? idk) a starting young DB who could turn into a star for a QB who probably ill be going into his last year next year. :lol: One of the most one sided deals in recent history. 

No qbs are under contract for next year. I wouldnt be surprised to see heavy turn over at the qb position. I wouldnt be surprised to see only one of bennet or davis back but both could be gone. Dont think glenn will be back either. I could see us going after another teams back up as a guy to come in and push / back up. Thats the position of greatest interest imop in the off season. 

I agree, the only way the Bombers ever seem to discover what a new QB can bring is if they suffer a catastrophic injury to their starter.  Depends on their patience level to see if any of the current crop stick around to see next year.  I don't think there is any long-term plan in place, they will take it year by year and ride Nichols as far as they can go, while trying to hang on to the best backup prospects they can find in case of emergency.

23 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I agree, the only way the Bombers ever seem to discover what a new QB can bring is if they suffer a catastrophic injury to their starter.  Depends on their patience level to see if any of the current crop stick around to see next year.  I don't think there is any long-term plan in place, they will take it year by year and ride Nichols as far as they can go, while trying to hang on to the best backup prospects they can find in case of emergency.

How close was Nichols to being finished for the season? Millimeters.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yep, that's twice in the last two games I thought he was a goner.

Actually he got hit several times last game alone and for whatever reason, the officials won't protect him. It really looked liked Ottawa players were going for his knees. One (late) hit was so obviously low that Nichols legs flew out from under him like someone had pulled the carpet from under his feet. Yet there was no call. I would definitely have pulled him right there. But he was left in to get drilled in the right knee one more time and fortunately the hit only grazed him or it could have been really ugly. I can understand coach leaving a linebacker in under those circumstances but never a QB. I just don't understand coach O'Shea on this. How many QBs does he have to lose before he gets it? Stubborn == slow to learn.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

Actually he got hit several times last game alone and for whatever reason, the officials won't protect him. It really looked liked Ottawa players were going for his knees. One (late) hit was so obviously low that Nichols legs flew out from under him like someone had pulled the carpet from under his feet. Yet there was no call. I would definitely have pulled him right there. But he was left in to get drilled in the right knee one more time and fortunately the hit only grazed him or it could have been really ugly. I can understand coach leaving a linebacker in under those circumstances but never a QB. I just don't understand coach O'Shea on this. How many QBs does he have to lose before he gets it? Stubborn == slow to learn.

A few days ago I posted that O'Shea's pig-headedness would mean that Nichols would not be pulled until a minute or two was left in the game and my tongue-in-cheek comment proved to be true and almost disastrous. If O'Shea has not figured out these very basic team management skills, he is probably not the head coach we need. Even more sadly, I expect him to be re-signed.

On 11/5/2016 at 6:09 PM, tracker said:

A few days ago I posted that O'Shea's pig-headedness would mean that Nichols would not be pulled until a minute or two was left in the game and my tongue-in-cheek comment proved to be true and almost disastrous. If O'Shea has not figured out these very basic team management skills, he is probably not the head coach we need. Even more sadly, I expect him to be re-signed.

Well Tracker...then you can always go cheer for some other team...we would hate for you to be sad.

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

Well Tracker...then you can always go cheer for some other team...we would hate for you to be sad.

After some 50 years of following my team, that is not an option. If you think I would be sad if O'Shea is re-signed, next year may well be a sad time for the whole team and fans. I would be perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

But what did O'Shea do that was worse than Kent Austin did this year? Or Rick Campbell? Did he do worse than Wally Bono? Jason Maas? Or Scott Milanovich? We know he's no genius like Chris Jones or Dickenson, but man what does a guy have to do for a little understanding?

I guess we don't like his standing by his players? - His standard answer/non-answer to injury questions? Wearing shorts? Smirking smiles? Winning close games instead of blowing out teams? Winning games by scoring too many FGs? Relying on 'special' special teams? Getting lucky bounces? Allowing too many yards on field despite winning the game? 

I guess not re-signing him will change all that.

59 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

But what did O'Shea do that was worse than Kent Austin did this year? Or Rick Campbell? Did he do worse than Wally Bono? Jason Maas? Or Scott Milanovich? We know he's no genius like Chris Jones or Dickenson, but man what does a guy have to do for a little understanding?

I guess we don't like his standing by his players? - His standard answer/non-answer to injury questions? Wearing shorts? Smirking smiles? Winning close games instead of blowing out teams? Winning games by scoring too many FGs? Relying on 'special' special teams? Getting lucky bounces? Allowing too many yards on field despite winning the game? 

I guess not re-signing him will change all that.

All that plus a raggedy beard that makes him look like a pirate.