Bruce Johnson Suspended

TrueBlue

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

The difference is that alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are all socially acceptable (in moderation) and legal. Buying illegal drugs fuels criminals and people die.

Just cuz it's legal doesnt make it any better. Only reason liquor is legal now is because prohibition didnt work, and as we see in todays society, prohibition on drugs isnt working either

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

Just cuz it's legal doesnt make it any better. Only reason liquor is legal now is because prohibition didn't work, and as we see in todays society, prohibition on drugs isnt working either

Agreed- cocaine was legal and readily available at pharmacies at one time and chocolate was banned. But we are talking about stuff that will get you in trouble.

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

Just cuz it's legal doesnt make it any better. Only reason liquor is legal now is because prohibition didnt work, and as we see in todays society, prohibition on drugs isnt working either

If Johnson took a legal drug or even an illegal drug that wasn't on the list, he'd have been OK. That not what he did, so it's not much of an argument IMO.

15 minutes ago, tracker said:

The difference is that alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are all socially acceptable (in moderation) and legal. Buying illegal drugs fuels criminals and people die.

The difference between the legal and illegal drugs is beyond silly in many cases. Alcohol is probably more destructive then all but the hardest drugs. 

If you track any huge money industry far enough down the rabbit hole you find awful destructive stuff. Any time you get such a high value in an industry of any sort you get the kind of people who would do any thing to protect it. 

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

and for that I fully agree with the repercussions taken on Johnson. If it's on the list he should be steering clear of it. My issue I guess is with what is on the list and why

I have no issue with what is and isn't on the list. The list was agreed upon by the CFL and the CFLPA. My very limited understanding is that there is a PED and a Non-PED version of this particular tested drug. They likely can't tell which one was in his system at the time of the test, so they just ban it completely.

I personally don't care what recreational drugs anyone takes and I don't have any issues with the police enforcing any laws regarding illegal drugs either. It's a choice. Take illegal drugs and you run a chance that you could be charged (or in this case suspended). Don't like the law, try to get it changed. Personally, I'd like to see most soft drugs legalized and taxed to the hilt. Sure, it makes the government the dealers, but it also guarantees the quality, adds tax money that doesn't come out of my pocket and eats into drug dealer profit margins. All of which are good things IMO.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I have no issue with what is and isn't on the list. The list was agreed upon by the CFL and the CFLPA. My very limited understanding is that there is a PED and a Non-PED version of this particular tested drug. They likely can't tell which one was in his system at the time of the test, so they just ban it completely.

I personally don't care what recreational drugs anyone takes and I don't have any issues with the police enforcing any laws regarding illegal drugs either. It's a choice. Take illegal drugs and you run a chance that you could be charged (or in this case suspended). Don't like the law, try to get it changed. Personally, I'd like to see most soft drugs legalized and taxed to the hilt. Sure, it makes the government the dealers, but it also guarantees the quality, adds tax money that doesn't come out of my pocket and eats into drug dealer profit margins. All of which are good things IMO.

Not to mention drug dealers a double whammy, not only are their drugs unregulated and likely unsafe, by being part of the underground economy, they dodge reporting lots taxable income.

The government misses out on the tax revenue from being the dealer (think tobacco, for every $10 you spend on cigarettes , $5 is tobacco tax that goes straight to government coffers). They also lose out on the tax revenue not collected from illegal, unreported drug-peddling activities.

37 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Not to mention drug dealers a double whammy, not only are their drugs unregulated and likely unsafe, by being part of the underground economy, they dodge reporting lots taxable income.

The government misses out on the tax revenue from being the dealer (think tobacco, for every $10 you spend on cigarettes , $5 is tobacco tax that goes straight to government coffers). They also lose out on the tax revenue not collected from illegal, unreported drug-peddling activities.

Sure thing, if it wasn't for the tax revenue it brings in tobacco production would have been deemed illegal long ago.  Ever wonder why tobacco is legal and pot is illegal?  Start following the strings, from profit to lobbyists and politics.

I give credit to Johnson for owning up to what he did where others would rail against the system and deny deny deny. He should of known better and let this be a lesson to teammates and other players around the league that may take these chemicals that they too may get caught.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

To me the issue here is that the CFL does not test for recreational drugs and the only reason BJ got busted is that they have wrongly classified this drug as performance enhancing.  BJ could have been doing coke all night with no issue but then he popped a pill and because the CFL has it classified as a PED he gets busted.  I think that is wrong and silly.  I'm sure many don't agree but it is a mistake on the part of the CFL and CFLPA.

Why is it a mistake on the CFL or the PA? It's on Johnson. He got caught. He was stupid. His problem. Is it the fault of the cops if a driver is caught for speeding? We may think the speed limit is too low but it's not the police's fault if someone breaks it. It's the law. Break the law you pay the price. 

Edited by iso_55

Yes he is guilty and only has himself to blame. Rules are rules.

But many here obviously think it's a bad rule, and should be changed. 

History is full of people who defended bad rules until they weren't rules anymore, and they look like true fools of the past now. 

If they can drink alcohol they should be allowed to do MDMA. It's a bad rule.

3 minutes ago, Plaxico said:

History is full of people who defended bad rules until they weren't rules anymore, and they look like true fools of the past now. 

Gambling used to be illegal but look at it now.  Governments have become the biggest bookies.

11 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

not trying to justify his actions, he screwed up and took something on the banned list. he gets what he deserves. I'm just speaking from experience that there is a huge difference between PEDs and recreational drugs and there should be fine line between the 2 and what the league enforces.  Liquor isnt exactly a non intoxicating substance yet no one bats an eye towards that

You wear your drug use like a Red Badge Of Courage.

3 hours ago, Plaxico said:

If  they can drive a car why follow the speed limit? Speed limits make no sense. It's a bad rule. ;)

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

You wear your drug use like a Red Badge Of Courage.

I'm not ashamed of what I've done and where I've been, I've had my reasons and proud to say I've cleaned up. I also dont shy away from my past if I find it has relevance in speaking about something similar as a reference point. thats all 

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'm not ashamed of what I've done and where I've been, I've had my reasons and proud to say I've cleaned up. I also dont shy away from my past if I find it has relevance in speaking about something similar as a reference point. thats all 

I give you tremendous credit overcoming your addictions. You should be very proud. It hits home with me as we have a family member who has been clean & sober for years. I know of what you speak & it's horrendous. Congratulations on your sobriety.

Edited by iso_55

He didn't take molly he took Sally.  Small difference...I know. However it was MDA not MDMA. There is a drug called ortho MDA that is an extremely expensive and not readily available PED. It would be stupid to think he was taking that over the buy at any nightclub  Sally. I agree that it's intent is recreational, however it's core ingredient is amphetamines. That is going to be banned by every drug policy on the planet....for good reason.

It is extremely medically dangerous for athletes to be popping amphetamines. 

Edited by gcn11

On 2016-10-08 at 10:14 AM, wbbfan said:

The difference between the legal and illegal drugs is beyond silly in many cases. Alcohol is probably more destructive then all but the hardest drugs. 

If you track any huge money industry far enough down the rabbit hole you find awful destructive stuff. Any time you get such a high value in an industry of any sort you get the kind of people who would do any thing to protect it. 

Exactly. If the legality of a substance was based on its harm to individuals and society as a whole (and conversely its ability to help) there would be a lot more psychotropic drugs that would be illegal and a lot more recreational drugs that would be legal. 

Just now, StevetheClub said:

Exactly. If the legality of a substance was based on its harm to individuals and society as a whole (and conversely its ability to help) there would be a lot more psychotropic drugs that would be illegal and a lot more recreational drugs that would be legal. 

yep and that would be the sensible way to do things, but tobacco and alcohol are far too large and important as industry to ever get the boot now. All we will see is the line getting pushed further towards legalizing various drugs. Which is fine by me, let people do that stuff if they want. I wonder if sports leagues will loosen up there own rules then. If the day comes where we see full legalization of weed for instance, will athletes still be un able to do it?

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

yep and that would be the sensible way to do things, but tobacco and alcohol are far too large and important as industry to ever get the boot now. All we will see is the line getting pushed further towards legalizing various drugs. Which is fine by me, let people do that stuff if they want. I wonder if sports leagues will loosen up there own rules then. If the day comes where we see full legalization of weed for instance, will athletes still be un able to do it?

If you want an eye-opener regarding drugs in sport watch the ESPN 30 for 30 episode on Daryl Strawberry, painkillers and amphetamines doled out like candy in the clubhouse, and it wasn't just the Mets, it was league wide.