Bruce Johnson Suspended

TrueBlue

1 minute ago, Sard said:

How did they get it wrong?  These players are supposed to be role models for kids, and frankly that's not an example I want my kids to look up to.  Maybe, like Super Duper Negatron, I'm too much of a square too, but I just don't get how anyone can see this suspension as being wrong.

Is it a performance enhancing drug? Does it give him some kind of unfair advantage?

Just now, J5V said:

Is it a performance enhancing drug? Does it give him some kind of unfair advantage?

It has nothing to do with being performance enhancing, it has to do with setting a good example for the kids who look up to professional athletes.  I don't believe that recreational drugs are a good example for my kids to see, so I have no problem with the suspension.

19 minutes ago, Sard said:

It has nothing to do with being performance enhancing, it has to do with setting a good example for the kids who look up to professional athletes.  I don't believe that recreational drugs are a good example for my kids to see, so I have no problem with the suspension.

Your kids are looking to professional athletes as examples? Y'mean, like,  as role models? 

Just now, J5V said:

Your kids are looking to professional athletes as examples? Y'mean, like,  as role models? 

I'm not saying that my kids are or aren't... the point is that there are kids out there who do... especially kids who aspire to be professional athletes themselves.

7 hours ago, Plaxico said:

Crazy that he'd be suspended for this. The players association should do something about recreational drugs and suspensions.

Bruce plays football. He's not a surgeon or a truck driver. BTW, are surgeons drug tested? Who's more of a threat to do some real harm? Kinda hypocritical.

This is about control freak owners who want to control what their players do and about a weak players union. Completely ridiculous issue in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Sard said:

I'm not saying that my kids are or aren't... the point is that there are kids out there who do... especially kids who aspire to be professional athletes themselves.

Of all the professional associations there are, how many of them are drug tested? Don't kids aspire to be doctors, lawyers, politicians, and engineers? Think none of them drink, smoke, or do recreational drugs? Kids are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for. If they're that easily influenced I'd suggest the fault lies somewhere other than with Bruce Johnson.

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Of all the professional associations there are, how many of them are drug tested? Don't kids aspire to be doctors, lawyers, politicians, and engineers? Think none of them drink, smoke, or do recreational drugs? Kids are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for. If they're that easily influenced I'd suggest the fault lies somewhere other than with Bruce Johnson.

You're absolutely right, all of those other professions should be tested as well...

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Probably never thought he'd be tested for E. I doubt that it's a performance enhancing drug anyway. CFL gets it wrong again.

Sorry J5V, I don't agree. Brandon Browner nearly lost his NFL career for smoking weed more than once so it's not the league who gets it wrong. It was the player. The NFL, CFL & their Players Assns all agreed on what drugs would be included on a banned list so if a player doesn't know (which I doubt) which drugs are on the list, is blissfully naïve or wants to roll the dice then the ramifications are on him. You may not agree what's on the list which doesn't matter but it's there & he should have known.

Edited by iso_55

11 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Sorry J5V, I don't agree. Brandon Browner nearly lost his NFL career for smoking weed more than once so it's nor the league who gets it wrong? The NFL, CFL & their Players Assns all agreed on what drugs would be included on a banned list so if a player doesn't know (which I doubt) which drugs are on the list, is blissfully naïve or wants to roll the dice then the ramifications are on them.

You're right, the player is wrong for getting caught too. Doesn't change my opinion on the whole drug testing thing though. Performance enhancing drugs is where I'd draw the line, reluctantly.

Just now, J5V said:

You're right, the player is wrong for getting caught too. Doesn't change my opinion on the whole drug testing thing though. Performance enhancing drugs is where I'd draw the line, reluctantly.

The CFLPA agreed on the drugs on that list so I have no problem with it. My son had a friend who was a junior football  receiver who practiced everyday with a CFL team a few years ago. He'd go to the CFL practice during the day & his junior team in the evening. Every receiver on that team smoked weed. I'd bet 75% minimum of all CFL players smoke weed. If they went all out the league would shut down so I'd say that the CFL & CFLPA look the other way on a lot of things when it comes to a banned substances list.

13 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

The CFLPA agreed on the drugs on that list so I have no problem with it. My son had a friend who was a junior football  receiver who practiced everyday with a CFL team a few years ago. He'd go to the CFL practice during the day & his junior team in the evening. Every receiver on that team smoked weed. I'd bet 75% minimum of all CFL players smoke weed. If they went all out the league would shut down so I'd say that the CFL & CFLPA look the other way on a lot of things when it comes to a banned substances list.

Yet they don't look the other way on BJ because it's not weed? Now that is effed up.

50 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yet they don't look the other way on BJ because it's not weed? Now that is effed up.

At the end of the day it is what it is. It's on the banned substances list & as a player he had a responsibility to know. I just kinda shrug my shoulders on this one here & go "Hey stupid...."

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, J5V said:

The current drug policy just came into effect at the start of this season. What happened a few years ago is irrelevant to what has happened with Johnson.

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Sorry J5V, I don't agree. Brandon Browner nearly lost his NFL career for smoking weed more than once so it's not the league who gets it wrong. It was the player. The NFL, CFL & their Players Assns all agreed on what drugs would be included on a banned list so if a player doesn't know (which I doubt) which drugs are on the list, is blissfully naïve or wants to roll the dice then the ramifications are on him. You may not agree what's on the list which doesn't matter but it's there & he should have known.

Most high level / high pay jobs especially ones with great levels of visibility have drug testing / rules similar to this. 

Its a stupid thing to get busted for. Im glad he owned it apologized and is taking it like a man. I doubt he will repeat the mistake. Or any other players.

Seriously has any pro athlete ever been suspended for MDMA?

Any pro athlete stupid enough to be doing a club drug mid-season deserves everything they get and more. I'm not even upset that they're doing drugs...whatever.....but doing something that STUPID and unnecessary when you're in the middle of an important turnaround? Moronic...

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Any pro athlete stupid enough to be doing a club drug mid-season deserves everything they get and more. I'm not even upset that they're doing drugs...whatever.....but doing something that STUPID and unnecessary when you're in the middle of an important turnaround? Moronic...

Yeah, its really dumb to take such a risk for that. In his defense the cfl has long been really really lax on this kind of thing. Its still stupid, but i cant think he would have imagined this would happen. But its no defense, you just dont take a stupid risk like that. Much worse could have happened. 

To me the issue here is that the CFL does not test for recreational drugs and the only reason BJ got busted is that they have wrongly classified this drug as performance enhancing.  BJ could have been doing coke all night with no issue but then he popped a pill and because the CFL has it classified as a PED he gets busted.  I think that is wrong and silly.  I'm sure many don't agree but it is a mistake on the part of the CFL and CFLPA.

10 hours ago, Sard said:

I get what your saying,  but recreational drugs are done on their own time in their private lives. your kids will never see that unless they show up to a game high, at which point then yes I would say its a problem.  PED on the other hand actually give you an unfair advantage on the field, so kids will actually see players "cheating" in that regard and is not a great example.

As someone who has done his fair share of bad things over the years, including MDMA, I can certainly say it does not help ones on field play, and in most cases has no affect. It's unfortunate he violated what would be on the list - I know if I was in that situation I would become well versed with what I can and cant do because I wouldnt want to jeopardize my job. But I think they need to re-evaluate what is on the banned list and narrow it more down to PED's because that actually has an impact on the field

4 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Oh my!   We're starting to sound like a bunch of Rider fans here.  Johnson screwed up.  He took a banned substance and now he must live with the consequences.  The ones that are trying  to justify it are sounding silly and somewhat rider fanish.  

not trying to justify his actions, he screwed up and took something on the banned list. he gets what he deserves. I'm just speaking from experience that there is a huge difference between PEDs and recreational drugs and there should be fine line between the 2 and what the league enforces.  Liquor isnt exactly a non intoxicating substance yet no one bats an eye towards that

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

You honestly believe he's the only one? I'd say about 50% of our import players partake in such events.