Blue add 2 more WR

Engelwood

WINNIPEG, MB., September 27, 2016 –   The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added International receivers Kieren Duncan and Quinshad Davis to the practice roster.

Duncan (5-10, 180, Colorado State Pueblo, Oct. 12, 1993 in Goodyear, AZ) played four seasons with the ThunderWolves, where he had success both as a receiver and returner. As a senior, Duncan was All-RMAC First Team Offense and First Team Kick Returner. That year, he totaled 512 yards on kick returns with an average of 30.1 yards per return. He also added 36 catches for 622 yards and six touchdowns.

Davis (6-3, 215, North Carolina, May 14, 1994 in Gaffney, SC) played four seasons with the Tar Heels, starting 47 of his 52 games. He finished his college career with a school record 205 catches for over 2,600 yards. His 25 touchdowns is also University of North Carolina school record. He attended camp with the Detroit Lions in 2016.

17 minutes ago, tracker said:

Davis looks to be the more promising of the two- size, good body control, decent speed and fights for the ball. Duncan looks to be a Dressler/Smith clone who is a speed merchant.

4.29 is up there with the fastest players ever to run the 40 in the NFL combine. I'd say he is the more promising of the two imo

53 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

4.29 is up there with the fastest players ever to run the 40 in the NFL combine. I'd say he is the more promising of the two imo

Agreed.  Davis looked a little slow and lumbering, whereas Duncun looked like he could motor.  He was outrunning most defenders.

48 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

Thats not an "official" time. He had a series of fast hand times all the way down to 4.25. His electronic times are in the 4.3s The correction factor for a hand timed 40 yard dash is +.16 seconds. So that 4.25 is actually a 4.41 hes fast, though. And football fast at that. His eletronic timed 4.32 is  about right. 

Davis is a big strong fundamental wr. Very, very polished. Catches any thing any where near him. Isnt a fast guy. But has the route running and hands to make up for it. Was a very good blocker as well. Heavily under used in a run offense. He was a favorite as a dark horse for the nfl draft for a long time. And at one time before he broke his leg he was considered a good for him 40 yard dash away from being a first round pick. (4.5s)

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Agreed.  Davis looked a little slow and lumbering, whereas Duncun looked like he could motor.  He was outrunning most defenders.

The last batch of guys still seem to be getting taught the game. Though i would expect to see more from them in practice in the next 2 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, mbrg said:

I don't put too much weight on NCAA pedigree because it isn't the best predictor of CFL success, but I won't pretend it doesn't exist either.  Davis put up some serious numbers at UNC.

A lot of guys can catch and a  lot can run and catch but catching in traffic without suddenly developing alligator arms are pretty rare.

Like the hands on Quinshad Davis and the way he uses his big body to protect the ball. Duncan looks very shifty and looks to have real good speed and an extra gear.

Note to Kyle: Please find some more impact player(s) for our Dline.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Thats not an "official" time. He had a series of fast hand times all the way down to 4.25. His electronic times are in the 4.3s The correction factor for a hand timed 40 yard dash is +.16 seconds. So that 4.25 is actually a 4.41 hes fast, though. And football fast at that. His eletronic timed 4.32 is  about right. 

Davis is a big strong fundamental wr. Very, very polished. Catches any thing any where near him. Isnt a fast guy. But has the route running and hands to make up for it. Was a very good blocker as well. Heavily under used in a run offense. He was a favorite as a dark horse for the nfl draft for a long time. And at one time before he broke his leg he was considered a good for him 40 yard dash away from being a first round pick. (4.5s)

The last batch of guys still seem to be getting taught the game. Though i would expect to see more from them in practice in the next 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the updates and those numbers which seem to confirm our observations.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

I don't put too much weight on NCAA pedigree because it isn't the best predictor of CFL success, but I won't pretend it doesn't exist either.  Davis put up some serious numbers at UNC.

theres some truth to that. Those schools put out guys who interview well, are prepared for the testing etc. No level of success in college means you will succeed in the pros. If you can find a big school guy with the tool set to succeed in the cfl its an exciting combo though. Davis numbers werent considered great, but when you factor in how heavily they ran the ball it is much more impressive. 

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

D line needs Justin Cole it seems.

hes been a quiet monster for us. Trent corney could use more play time, but then we dont have depth behind westerman. Martin has potential at end but needs play time to round out into some thing consistent. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You aren't going to get pressure against 6-7-8 blockers.  They should have shifted tactics to the secondary and given up on blitzing.

Eventually your front four has to get there, I don't care how many guys are blocking, that just means fewer receiving options for the qb. We just don't have a championship caliber d-line.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You aren't going to get pressure against 6-7-8 blockers.  They should have shifted tactics to the secondary and given up on blitzing.

they didnt run 7+ blockers. That very seldom happens in the cfl. Calgary has given up the least sacks and its for good reason. We blitz very very sparingly. We stunt. We've seen difference co ordinators and the same types of systems under MOS. this is clearly his system and isnt changing while hes here. And atm it doesnt look like hes going any where.

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Eventually your front four has to get there, I don't care how many guys are blocking, that just means fewer receiving options for the qb. We just don't have a championship caliber d-line.

yes we do. But we play gap responsible. And got out played by the best OL unit in the league. A minor issue in a game with many major ones. BLM was getting big passes quickly. Our coverage didnt leave him standing in the pocket long. It was a team failure on D, not one dimensional. 

That said idk what this has to do with a thread about signing 2 wrs....

Q.Davis looks like a sick receiver. I hope this guy learn Lapo's playbook fast and the nuances of CFL football so we can see him at some point maybe during playoffs. 

Love the fact that he can throw the ball with accuracy too. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.