Dieter Brock - Next Ring of Honour Inductee

B-F-F-C

Two memories of Dieter - the night I was at the Stadium (before it was named Canad Inns) when Goodlow got his 100 receptions, and the game in 1984 when Dieter came back to Winnipeg as a Hamilton Tiger-Cat, and every time Dieter got sacked, mostly by Tyrone Jones, the Ghostbusters theme song would start up and everyone in the stands would start dancing and yelling "Brock Busters!" The Bombers won that game 48-16.  Ahh...great memories.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Two memories of Dieter - the night I was at the Stadium (before it was named Canad Inns) when Goodlow got his 100 receptions, and the game in 1984 when Dieter came back to Winnipeg as a Hamilton Tiger-Cat, and every time Dieter got sacked, mostly by Tyrone Jones, the Ghostbusters theme song would start up and everyone in the stands would start dancing and yelling "Brock Busters!" The Bombers won that game 48-16.  Ahh...great memories.

Remember that game so well. I think even Brock enjoyed the hype before it. Certainly not the sacks during the game. He left the Bombers very unhappy & was not a Cal Murphy or Robson fan as a player. He wanted a new contract & held out during TC in 1983. Eventually traded to Hamilton for Tom Clements in late August. Glad to see he has put that all behind him as have the fans who were upset with him when he left as well as the team's attitude change towards him as I think the team wanted nothing more to do with the guy at the time he was traded away. Time heals all wounds. He is a deserving honouree. Glad he's on the Wall Of Fame.

46d52ecf0054379ae0b70563ab3ddc14.jpg

August-4-651x800.jpg

Dieter-Brock-Winnipeg-Blue-Bombers-40-1600x1329.jpg

Edited by iso_55

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not so much about Brock, but man that looked like a good team. Check out the LT blocking on the first run...

The Washington fellow looked like a hot knife through butter against that Edm D... still waiting for Harris to run one like that this year...

Anyone out there know about QB mechanics? It seems to me that Brock threw leaning back a lot even when the ball is travelling 40 yards.  That is serious arm strength. 

This is the time where I started going to games and the names and numbers started flooding back. Was that Bobby Thompson I saw in there? I don't know if this was the year the training camp was at the u of M. I remember the team was showering up in the change room when I was playing squash or raquetball.  John Helton was one massive muscular naked man. If he saw me he probably thought I was staring just a bit too much but I was in awe.  

14 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

There were a lot of tackles by the neck back then. I never remembered that but it seems pretty reckless from today's point of view. 

Yup, it was a different time for sure. What we used to call a great tackle would be a penalty these days. The big hits we cheered from the stands while yelling 'Bring out the meat wagon and get this game going' are now met with a hush and other worried sounds from the crowd. Being knocked out used to mean smelling salts and getting right back on the field, now it means missing a game or two.

16 hours ago, Rich said:

I hope they do eventually put some of the older players like Indian Jack up but at the same time, I think it is nice they honour some of these players while they are still with us to have them enjoy the recognition.

Come, come. It should be "First Nations Jack Jacobs"

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Anyone out there know about QB mechanics? It seems to me that Brock threw leaning back a lot even when the ball is travelling 40 yards.  That is serious arm strength. 

This is the time where I started going to games and the names and numbers started flooding back. Was that Bobby Thompson I saw in there? I don't know if this was the year the training camp was at the u of M. I remember the team was showering up in the change room when I was playing squash or raquetball.  John Helton was one massive muscular naked man. If he saw me he probably thought I was staring just a bit too much but I was in awe.  

I'm not sure if this is funny or creepy... but I laughed either way!

Ah come on guys I'm not that old haven't hit the century mark yet but getting close! I do agree that it is nice while these guys are around but my big fear is that those who have "made" this organization will be missed simply because those who make the decisions have not been around long enough to remember, like some of us! In any event it is a good program and long overdue.

14 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

You know what sad about that video?  How we've gone from people like Don Wittman to Rod Black.  Maybe Darwin was wrong after all.

The other sad thing, production value on TSN isn't much better today. Better graphics but that's about it. Don Wittman was a total pro. He could call a chess tournament & it'd be worth watching. Black is just horrible but TSN thumbs its corporate nose at fans & brings him back every year.

13 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Jay Washington was a really good running back. He hit the hole hard & could make tacklers miss. I really liked him as a player back then.

My memories of Jay Washington are a bit different.   My recollection of him was that he was flat out fast, but not as shifty as some of the other backs.  IIRC the Bombers pitched to him and usually ran him outside, but he wasn't as effective between the tackles.    Good back though, had a nose for the endzone.

20 hours ago, bearpants said:

I'm not sure if this is funny or creepy... but I laughed either way!

Scary not creepy.  I think his best years were in Calgary if memory serves me correct. I am not near old enough to remember Jack Jacobs.

17 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Ah come on guys I'm not that old haven't hit the century mark yet but getting close! I do agree that it is nice while these guys are around but my big fear is that those who have "made" this organization will be missed simply because those who make the decisions have not been around long enough to remember, like some of us! In any event it is a good program and long overdue.

I don't think the old guys will be forgotten. Didn't the team send out a list of candidates that included Fritz Hansen? You can't get much older than that. 

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

My memories of Jay Washington are a bit different.   My recollection of him was that he was flat out fast, but not as shifty as some of the other backs.  IIRC the Bombers pitched to him and usually ran him outside, but he wasn't as effective between the tackles.    Good back though, had a nose for the endzone.

That was my recollection as well but he was outstanding on those sweeps. He beat the defenders to the corner on a regular basis. those plays on the wide field are kind of dramatic because even the uneducated fan like me can see the play develop and how the defence reacts.

I know we were talking about Dieter but the Washington talk reminded me that Washington did well in those skills competitions  that used to aired. I think CTV did them before the season if I remember it correctly. I remember Washington was wickedly fast in those competitions. I remember a golf cart with a net for the QB's to throw at as well.