Bombers add DE Eric Martin.

wbbfan

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/08/22/bombers-add-de-eric-martin/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599347-eric-martin-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-nebraska-olb

Looks like a great athlete who bulked up some in the nfl. A true rush end but spent of his nfl time at OLB, as he was considered too small to play DE. Looks like a high up side guy. Glad we arent resting on our success, and hoping guys like green turn into some thing.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/11/4184840/nfl-draft-2013-seahawks-sleepers-de-eric-martin-nebraska

Sounds like his up side is a cross between kyries hebert and gavin walls. Hard hitting guy who has played a ton of special teams. 

Edited by wbbfan

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599347-eric-martin-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-nebraska-olb

Looks like a great athlete who bulked up some in the nfl. A true rush end but spent of his nfl time at OLB, as he was considered too small to play DE. Looks like a high up side guy. Glad we arent resting on our success, and hoping guys like green turn into some thing.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/11/4184840/nfl-draft-2013-seahawks-sleepers-de-eric-martin-nebraska

Sounds like his up side is a cross between kyries hebert and gavin walls. Hard hitting guy who has played a ton of special teams. 

The cross between a safety and a Defensive end.... that = Linebacker? Hmm very odd way of describing him.

13 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

The cross between a safety and a Defensive end.... that = Linebacker? Hmm very odd way of describing him.

what i mean is hes a head hunting hard hitting core special teams guy. His play style is hebert. But at his speed he might be able to play saftey if no other db was available. his fastest 40 timed was 4.43 though most of his pre work outs where low 4.5, the way he gets down field on coverage is un real for a man his size.

Gavin walls in his type of rush end. a pure pass rusher whose under sized for the nfl but an athletic monster with a great motor. 

9 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

The more D1 prospects we can get coming here the better, Walters said its been a 2 year process to get some of these top guys to come up here and i think we are finally seeing the fruits of his labours. :D

Yeah he doesnt have a ton of starting experience but coming out of a strong system never hurts. 

Edited by wbbfan

4 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

article says he was a game day captain, didnt start a ton, probably just the last year but says he did get in to quite a few games. In my mind that means he has the talent but isn't damaged goods just yet.

all but 4 of his starts came his final year. That year was also the majority of his sacks. before that he was mainly a teams guy. They were trying to make him an OLB before that as well. When they unleashed him in his senior year at DE he was a match up nightmare. 8.5 sacks 16 TFL in 12 starts. I imagine he could draw in quickly for teams play and rotating. Playing that much teams at a high level in the ncaa but even more so in the nfl can be very rough. But only time will tell. Im excited to see what he can do. 

12 minutes ago, do or die said:

High energy dude, looks like he can also do the ST thing.   How about ILB?

if we wanted to play a 3-4 physically he could certainly play ilb. His primary skill set is pass rush though, and the knock on him in college was he struggled with reads and run blocking so any lb action would probably best be if he was a positional pass rusher. I think we should just free him and let him play de. 

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

if we wanted to play a 3-4 physically he could certainly play ilb. His primary skill set is pass rush though, and the knock on him in college was he struggled with reads and run blocking so any lb action would probably best be if he was a positional pass rusher. I think we should just free him and let him play de. 

Kid is a little bigger than Ian Wild, will be very dynamic and looks like he can play 3 to 4 positions on the defence. Could be a plug and play player for us and will be a great addition on ST. That experience consistently going up against D1 Tackles will be a huge upside for him

Edited by LimJahey

13 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

Kid is a little bigger than Ian Wild, will be very dynamic and looks like he can play 3 to 4 positions on the defence. Could be a plug and play player for us and will be a great addition on ST. That experience consistently going up against D1 Tackles will be a huge upside for him

Yeah he is, seems like he bulked up to about 250 before signing in the nfl, then a tiny bit more since then. 

He apparently played both ends easily in college which is good. And he has a had a good portion of reps at LBer. Hes got that pass rushing, play making allways in the back field, nose for the ball nature. A guy like that will run around the field and make plays at many positions. But the plays you miss are what defines your position as much as the type of plays you can make. I wouldnt want to see him in coverage other then zone.

Have to temper expectations though hubbard and green and others have come in with the tool kit and pedigree and been under whelming.   

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah he is, seems like he bulked up to about 250 before signing in the nfl, then a tiny bit more since then. 

He apparently played both ends easily in college which is good. And he has a had a good portion of reps at LBer. Hes got that pass rushing, play making allways in the back field, nose for the ball nature. A guy like that will run around the field and make plays at many positions. But the plays you miss are what defines your position as much as the type of plays you can make. I wouldnt want to see him in coverage other then zone.

Have to temper expectations though hubbard and green and others have come in with the tool kit and pedigree and been under whelming.   

haha totally agree, will reserve judgement until i see him track a running back down out of the backfield. Seems like lots of these guys are great at rushing the qb and have the physical tools but lack the discipline to be effective in coverage.

Edited by LimJahey

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hebert was a hard-hitting safety whose coverage weren't always great, he had undisciplined tendencies but often generated turnovers.

Walls was a fundamentally sound strong side DE who was disciplined and always kept contain very well. 

A hybrid of the two would be - interesting 

42 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

Ever since reading Sam Hurl's presser at signing and then watching him play on the field I have concluded that a liar's pants don't always catch on fire.

xD he was soo over blown. Hes a good guy to have as a spare lber, teams guy etc. short of tailoring a system around him though hes not a good starter on a contender. 

Just now, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

I like Sam on special teams but he is not helping a defence out by starting for them.

agreed but that is not his fault, thats management/ pro scouts/ coaches fault. Can't hate a guy for not having the talent and being put in a role he won't succed in.

2 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

One should never hate any player wearing your teams colors. Just like him less then the guy that should be replacing him.

that doesnt apply to qbs though ~.o

Is sam making big money? I cant imagine he is breaking the bank with that deal. Would like to see waggoner get his snaps cant lie. 

15 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

I remember him being one of Walter's 1st big free agent signings and I thought the numbers were about 150 per season

He was one of the few serviceable canadian players available at the time on a canadian starved roster. he didnt quite work out but you can't really blame him imo