Bombers vs Argos Aug 12 Depth Charts ETC

Noeller

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Macho as a special teams player might not be bad. I dunno tho. It's just what Bauming said. McDuffie... I'm not that high on him but I suppose if it means less injury risk to Fogg.... sure. 

I'm also not convinced that macho and McDuffie are on the 46 when healthy 

# 14 Duff McKagan listed as KR/PR on today's depth chart.... November Rain in August for the Argos!

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Right and they had the whole improper ratio going and stuff. Team is a mess. 

we're talking about the Bombers... not he riders... the Bombers have dressed 6 o-lineman every game this year... early in the year Travis Bond was listed on the depth chart but was a game day scratch...

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

No weve went through 2 back ups in 2 games this year and not put thomas in yet. 

sorry this is incorrect on both points... we've dressed 6 OL every game this year and Jake Thomas played in an emergency situation against Calgary week 5 after Neufeld and Hardrick (?? I can't remember the second injury) got hurt...

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Not true, we have never dressed an import backup OL this season and Couture has been our only Canadian backup OL all year.

correct my mistake we carried the extra on the 2 man inactive. We had couture come in and then had the banged up OL go back in once, and had thomas go in for a couple series. 

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

Couture has filled in adequately a few times this year... and we go with one back up O-lineman every game... Jake Thomas is the second back up if there's 2 injuries... this is nothing new....

Thomas is an emergency backup playing out of postion ,if we lose 2 tackles you comfortable putting him or Couture there? I remember Calgary losing 3 linemen last year in a game it's rare but does happen. It's a roll of the dice.....

5 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Thomas is an emergency backup playing out of postion ,if we lose 2 tackles you comfortable putting him or Couture there? I remember Calgary losing 3 linemen last year in a game it's rare but does happen. It's a roll of the dice.....

True but what do you do?  Take out K. Knox for an American backup OL who in 95% of games will never see a snap?  Maybe you take out a Canadian backup like Addison Richards for an additional Canadian OL but unfortunately we don't even have an extra one on the roster/practice roster.  I agree it's risky but the small roster sizes make it almost necessary.  Most other teams do the same.

6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

thomas at tackle would be a disaster if more then very limited time. Even then itd be bad. Him filling in at guard is much more coverable. 

I think couture is gonna be a gooder. I can see him over taking goossen in terms of quality next TC. I think if he is thrown to the wolfs and has to start we will take some lumps. But in the long term wont look back. If its bryant that goes down though id be really worried. 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

True but what do you do?  Take out K. Knox for an American backup OL who in 95% of games will never see a snap?  Maybe you take out a Canadian backup like Addison Richards for an additional Canadian OL but unfortunately we don't even have an extra one on the roster/practice roster.  I agree it's risky but the small roster sizes make it almost necessary.  Most other teams do the same.

You then use the extra OL in the goal line formations instead of a LB/back up DL. On both offense and D. You throw him out in some of the situations that we've had our small WRs pinch blocking or been motioning them into the TE position for full time blocking on plays. You block and release or send harris on a route each time. You have that OL who can change his number and go in at DT. Because what happens if an a ol goes down and a DL goes down. Then we have no back up at DT or OL. 1 injury from having some one go both ways and play out of position.

You can make use of guys like ol backing up on the roster. NI ol dont grow on trees, we wont dig up any one better then what we have with any ease. It sucks to burn a DI on depth, but with our ability to start NI out of position we are in a better position then most teams to do so.

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I might have been drinking but I am certain that Thomas has gone in on the OL this season. 

yup and I still remember the "Oh no I'm going to die" look on Willy's face when Thomas came into the game at guard...

Edited by kelownabomberfan

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

McDuffie is going to have to do something on offense to stay on the roster, not this week obviously.

Guys like Denmark, Feoli-Gudino, Leggett,and Dressler can handle some returns, more guys can handle kickoffs if needed due to fatigue or injury.

Please anyone but Feoli-Gudino.

36 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes I see your point but keeping Nichols upright should be our no 1 priority and not hurting Couture by throwing him to the wolves too early.So yes get an American olineman as insurance we have depth at lb none really right now on the oline. TO is dressing 8...

Edited by bb1

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yes I see your point but keeping Nichols upright should be our no 1 priority and not hurting Couture by throwing him to the wolves too early.So yes get an American olineman as insurance we have depth at lb none really right now on the oline. TO is dressing 8...

They've got eight on the depth chart. That doesn't mean they'll all be dressed for the game.

bc 7 ol, 6 dl

edm 7 ol, 7 dl

cal 6 ol (3 on injured list)  7 dl

ssk 6 ol (6 on injured ist) 6 dl

ham 7 ol, 7  dl

TO 8 ol, 7 dl

ott 7 ol 8 dl

mtl 7 ol 8 dl

wbb 6 ol (2 on injured list) 6 dl.

We are right at the bottom of the league in terms of depth on the line. Sask has 4 more guys on the IR at that position. If rb, wr, db, lb, de kr go down to a drastic point you can plug one of the others in. Weve seen keith stokes start at KR, wr, and rb. Weve seen geoff drover go in at db and make a position change permanently. In an emergency you slide a dt / ol around. But thats a lot of spots that we dont have bodies at. Not to mention overall we havent done a good job with blocking again this year (improved 2 weeks ago but still over all poor) the ability to throw a heavy set wouldnt be bad. 

Weve got 7 big spots filled by 9 guys. Can any one imagine one of our DEs or lbs playing OL?

9 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

They've got eight on the depth chart. That doesn't mean they'll all be dressed for the game.

weve got 9 guys 275+ range theyve got 10 295+ and 1 at 281. 

ssk has 9 guys 275+ and calgary has 10. 

Of the three teams we have the most NI flexibility by far. 

14 minutes ago, mbrg said:

The last time I can recall the Bombers having 2 active backup Olinemen in a game was the one where Obby Khan was returning from his surgery.  2009?

Your kind of missing the point 1 backup with little experience in the CFL and one tackle making his first start how many games have we gone this year not losing at least 1 olineman? 

15 minutes ago, mbrg said:

The last time I can recall the Bombers having 2 active backup Olinemen in a game was the one where Obby Khan was returning from his surgery.  2009?

weve done it since then. Its not the league norm by any means to carry 1 back up ol. Not to mention a lack of Dl that can fill in in a pinch. We have the least big men in the league atm . The battle in the trench dictates the game, and big men dictate the battle in the trench. 

Going into the week we had given up the most sacks, 5th in the league in rushing (with a couple teams that hardly if ever run) 7th in rushing tds. with the lowest YPC in the league. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

weve done it since then. Its not the league norm by any means to carry 1 back up ol. Not to mention a lack of Dl that can fill in in a pinch. We have the least big men in the league atm . The battle in the trench dictates the game, and big men dictate the battle in the trench. 

Going into the week we had given up the most sacks, 5th in the league in rushing (with a couple teams that hardly if ever run) 7th in rushing tds. with the lowest YPC in the league. 

On the gameday roster, yes it certainly is the norm.  Overall?  No... but you will see 7 on the active roster as soon as Keeping is healthy again.  Regardless, having 7 on the active roster does nothing to help you on gameday if you only dress six (which every team does).

Big game tonight. We have 3 very very winnable games on the menu after this one. Toronto isn't a pushover, but if we can win a game here I can easily see us being 3 games over .500 after the Banjo Bowl.

I'm very curious to see how Nichols holds up, and if the D can continue to turn the ball over. 

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

On the gameday roster, yes it certainly is the norm.  Overall?  No... but you will see 7 on the active roster as soon as Keeping is healthy again.  Regardless, having 7 on the active roster does nothing to help you on gameday if you only dress six (which every team does).

what your saying is that every team uses the 2man for ol alone. And thats just not the case. Even in that case we would be sub norm in big bodies especially ol. Those spots go to guys who are questionable after the depth chart is posted much of the time.  Your also saying no what we are doing is the norm, but once keeping is healthy we wont be doing it. If what we are doing is the norm why would we change that?

2 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Your kind of missing the point 1 backup with little experience in the CFL and one tackle making his first start how many games have we gone this year not losing at least 1 olineman? 

Nope.

I am disagreeing with the amount of importance you are placing on it.

And provided the real world illustration of how rarely (a) the Bombers have dressed 2 backup Olinemen for a game, and (b) how seldom this has come back to bite them in the rump.

The Bombers are not in the minority in doing this either, they are in the majority.

As for Couture specifically, he has shown that he is not ready to see regular snaps in the CFL yet.  He's shown some good and some bad.  Is it something worth using a DI spot for?  For that reason, I'd still lean towards no.  However, combined with a different reason - we're already using 3 imports on the Oline, so is that enough to get a proper ROI using a DI there?  Now the needle moves to maybe.  BUT, we still can't use that DI if Chungh or Goossen get injured without making ratio adjustments elsewhere, so I'm back to leaning towards no.