so about that convertible stadium...

wbbfan

Remember when they wanted the new stadium to have a retractable roof? Might not have been a bad idea, of course it may have delayed the finish another 7 seasons and it would have probably fallen in as soon as they tried to open/shut it. hind sight is 20/20, and makes my eyes dry. Makes the turf dry too though.

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

3 times this year twice at home and a few years back against sask come to mine off the bat.

Cumulative, we've suffered through a whopping 4 hours of weather delays at IGF. I don't think that comes anywhere near justifying the tens of millions of dollars it would have cost us just for the privilege of playing lame indoor football. This is a sport that belongs in the elements... wind and rain, sun and snow, mud and fog... it's all good!

One of the fondest memories I have is the playoff game vs Hamilton in the supposed last game at CanadInns, I felt like Ralphie's brother in A Christmas Story I was wearing so many layers and wouldn't change it for the world. Winnipeg is cold, may as well steer into the skid and play these games in the nastiness that is our climate.

27 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

One of the fondest memories I have is the playoff game vs Hamilton in the supposed last game at CanadInns, I felt like Ralphie's brother in A Christmas Story I was wearing so many layers and wouldn't change it for the world. Winnipeg is cold, may as well steer into the skid and play these games in the nastiness that is our climate.

I was there all bundled up too, sitting on the benches in the upper deck. What a game! When we left I was certain it was the last game at the stadium too, I bawled like a baby walking away.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Cumulative, we've suffered through a whopping 4 hours of weather delays at IGF. I don't think that comes anywhere near justifying the tens of millions of dollars it would have cost us just for the privilege of playing lame indoor football. This is a sport that belongs in the elements... wind and rain, sun and snow, mud and fog... it's all good!

I feel like this might be a very conservative estimate...

I've always hated the idea of playing under a dome... there's maybe one or 2 games a season where it would be nice to play indoors... but imagine going to the stadium in the summer when it's 25 and sunny... then going inside to watch a football game?!?

34 minutes ago, Blitzy said:

I was there all bundled up too, sitting on the benches in the upper deck. What a game! When we left I was certain it was the last game at the stadium too, I bawled like a baby walking away.

Chris Garrett scoring a meaningless TD after running it down Hamilton's throats should have (and I am choosing to remember it this way) been the last play at CanadInns.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

That was one of my favorite games I ever attended. Bundled up, beer freezing, and having a party before the old stadium closed (we thought it was, anyhow). It was so much fun.

I'm right there with you guys. Eastern semi against HAM might be the greatest game I've personally attended. Upper deck, East side, South endzone... we had parkas and snow pants, hot chocolate, and wool blankets. The guys sitting next to my wife was in jeans and a pathetic winter wind-breaker type of thing... my wife might have saved that guy's life by sharing a blanket with him lol. Will never forget Garrett and his 'final play at CanadInns'

12 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'm right there with you guys. Eastern semi against HAM might be the greatest game I've personally attended. Upper deck, East side, South endzone... we had parkas and snow pants, hot chocolate, and wool blankets. The guys sitting next to my wife was in jeans and a pathetic winter wind-breaker type of thing... my wife might have saved that guy's life by sharing a blanket with him lol. Will never forget Garrett and his 'final play at CanadInns'

wait... you were in the upper deck, east side and the south endzone at the same time?... I'm impressed ;)

I was in the south endzone for that game!

27 minutes ago, bearpants said:

wait... you were in the upper deck, east side and the south endzone at the same time?... I'm impressed ;)

I was in the south endzone for that game!

Me too, I had season tickets in section J. Some games when that wind would just gust right in your face. Pleasant in July, not so much in November.

4 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Me too, I had season tickets in section J. Some games when that wind would just gust right in your face. Pleasant in July, not so much in November.

we were section O from 2004 - 2012... the price for season tickets was around $80 in 2004... perfect price for a bunch of poor kids just about to start university!

PS - from our original group of 7 or 8 in 2004... only 2 still remain as season ticket holders... now in section 203... 

On August 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Taynted_Fayth said:

Id say the rum hut would be delighted by the delay but they too are shut down during the delays.  Gotta wonder if they build some kind of shelter to protect it so it can stay open. not saying people couldnt get their liquor elsewhere but 4 hours of delay is a lot of lost revenue for them specifically.

4 hrs of extra drinking time within the stadium should add to the bottom line.  The $5 drat beers between the game start announcement and kickoff should have helped too.

On August 6, 2016 at 0:02 AM, Noeller said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but being able to sit and watch the incredible lightning show from under partial cover was fantastic. Despite the delay, I was enjoying being able to experience the elements. 

I'm with you. I was annoyed at the delay at first, but being outside yet dry during that lightning storm was incredible. Never experienced anything like that.