Odds and Sods - Game 5 - Stamps at Blue Bombers

Medlock 47 yd FG on pretty good opening drive

Dressler more involved in O, early...

Randle forces fumble in Blue territory....

Dressler fumbles it back on next series...

Bomber pressure package on D....

...creating no pressure, on BLM.....

McDaniel eluding man coverage

His TD catch puts Stamps up 7-3

Throwing passes on 2nd down, short of marker...

....still a Bomber specialty..

Nice play calling on O, by Stamps....

...they have good downfield blocking as well...

while Bomber O going into a shell

FG has Calgary up by 10-3....

Adams catches one more ....short of marker

....then D is offside....but Willy stuffed on 3rd and 1

A. Parker skips down sideline past Posey...

...this TD catch and run makes it 20-3...

..and the plebs in the stands....are getting restless....

Feels like garbage time already....

Need a big play, at this point...oops... Fogg drops gift INT...

Willy sacked, then a dropped pass...another two and out....

Next series.....failed dump passes....

...more grumbling from the sweaty patrons....

Now Randle and Macho out.....Jones and Morgan in...

108 total yds on Offense....5 yds rushing...at the half....

Some first downs and Medlock 40 yd FG .. to start 2nd half

Posey now nicked and out...Loffler in

....real rookie secondary now....

Neufeld and Hardrick out ....Jake Thomas now at OL......

Patchwork on the patchwork......

Ian Wild giving his all....out there...

Nice INT from Fogg.....

Yet another 2nd down short dump pass...

....bringing down more boos....

Couple of big hits by Bass...

Patchwork D hanging in there........

BLM having some accuracy problems...

Actual deep ball to Adams.....

...sets up 37 yd Medlock FG....down by 10.

Willy telegraphs hook throw against double coverage...

....Burnett intercepted for Stamps TD...fans rush to Rum Hut....

Nice KO return by McDuffie....

Nichols is in.....to general applause....

...and throws 20 yd TD pass to Dressler....

Nichols to Dress for the 2 pointer.....

Dressler having a productive game....

Harris written out of Blue offense, this half.....

D. Adams has some yards....but still inconsistent...

Typically,  Stamps O put together clutch drive...

Long toss to B. Grant sets the Stamps up..

...for 5 yd TD...  to cap 80 yd drive....

...and that's all folks...33-18

New look DL just not getting it done......

Corney will start here, sooner than later..

Nichols flinging it around.....when he is not getting sacked

Stamps taking penalties late...

But Bombers turn it over on downs on Stamp 9 yd line

Willy will take the heat.....for this lame offense...

...but Lapo should be taking some, as well....

This team simply does not make enough plays....

...and allows the opposition to make too many.....

..one of the worst teams at home ever....

Good thing am one of the best gin drinkers, ever....

Although I'm a STH I chose to work today and listen to the game on the radio. Irving called it boys playing against men in the fist half. I'm more and more convinced it's the coaching......apparently they knew every time we were going to run the ball in the first half?? That's on LaPo. I watched the 2nd half, agreed with the timing of the QB change, I hope and expect that the leash is even shorter next game.  

I was at the game. Willy wasn't awful. Nobody really was open.  Short routes pretty much. Lapo perhaps needs to take his head out of his ass and design some deep routes. 4 receivers to 1 side of the field... willy rolls out that way... just stupid play calling. 

Awful reffing also but the play calling... it's awful. No receiver ever really runs a route longer than 10 yards 

Edited by Goalie

Lapo doesn't call a great game, but he doesn't call a bad game...  but its the same Lapo - hitches, slants, run up the gut, abandon the run as soon as you're down, go deep too late - need a great QB to compensate for a conservative offence

This D would be dominating the league if Mark Nelson or Noel Thorpe were running the show, but they are not.

Its time for an ST coordinator - its either Osh concentrating on that or not focusing enough...  return teams were not organized at all

Backups played with more heart than starters... there has to be some consequences.

Can't keep blaming the players on the DL...  its Richie Hall and his ridiculous gap system.

Bryant Turner, Nate Collins, Zach Anderson... these were all good players who started to look bad in Hall's system

Look at Greg Peach's success with the bombers... he lasted because he 'filled the gap', he never pressured any QBs - now Westerman is on that side

DL will start getting sacks once they start playing for stats and ignore Hall

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Didn't think Willy was that bad. The pick 6 certainly was but the O seems so vanilla 

The interception was really the only mistake Willy made and BLM made a mistake too and threw an interception, that sort of thing happens to every qb. Problems on this team go way deeper than the qb and we saw the exact same things with Nichols that we saw with Willy. Not good enough OL or receivers or game plan. 

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Dressler was consistently running 10-15 yard routes.  So was Mayo.

Watch the game again, its only Darvin Adams who gives up on his routes.

Don't need to watch again. I was there live. I saw the entire field. Receivers weren't open. 

saw a few passes behind open receivers... on one adams coming fast across from sideline, had to reach well back, and made a nice catch, it appeared that if he had been able to catch it in stride, he would have made the first down easily, but was tackled short of a first down.   next play willy stuffed on third and one.

Edited by Mark F

**** me! That was the worst half of football I have seen in a long time. The game was over by half time, we scored 18 all game and Calgary put 20 up in the first 30 minutes.

The offensive and defensive play calling, compared to our opponents, is so inferior I can see why the players come out dragging their asses. Lapo and Hall should have to stand up in-front of their players and apologize for not preparing them better. It's like Calgary was reading from the Bomber playbook all first half, can they not throw a few wrinkles in so it's not so easy for other teams to see what they are doing?

Unbelievable just how poorly run this outfit is after three years of the program.

Start by canning Walters and replace him with Higgins (if he'll have us). He can start to bring in new talent and rebuild the team without dirrupting the coaching staff until the purge comes at year end.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The interception was really the only mistake Willy made and BLM made a mistake too and threw an interception, that sort of thing happens to every qb. Problems on this team go way deeper than the qb and we saw the exact same things with Nichols that we saw with Willy. Not good enough OL or receivers or game plan. 

Willy struggled with consistency most of the game (continuing the trend of the season). He's completing a bunch of short screens and quick throws. The rest of the job he is really poor at right now. He's not working his reads well, he's not hitting deep receivers and he's continually awful when a defense gets pressure.

I thought the difference in offense was quite noticeable when Nichols went in. Like, I expect any QB out there to hit all the short stuff, so Willy, Nichols or whoever should be able to handle that. Its the rest of the job that Willy is struggling with, and that's where Nichols may or may not be better. In the few minutes we saw of him, he did better than Willy. The sample size is small and so we very well could end up in the same argument in a few weeks regarding Nichols vs Willy vs Bennett. 

What I will continue to argue against is the propagation that the team has multiple issues and that QB isn't one of them. Willy is not only part of the problem, but arguably amongst the first or second issues right now. Despite falling way behind, the team actually had a chance to come back but we waited too late to get the offense moving. So we can blame rookie defensive backs or passive coaching or a terrible OL or whatever you'll continue to heap blame on, but that game was in reach despite all those factors and it was Willy that was really limiting the success of the team.

This isn't even an endorsement of Nichols, because he's generally a turnover machine and isn't great with progressions either, but at this point Willy has shown himself to be a subpar QB and until we get better play at QB then this team isn't going anywhere.

This team simply loses too many physical battles all over the field, on both sides of the ball.  The other team pushes....and we get shoved.   Add to that .....the mental aspect, where we just cannot make the key plays, at any point.......and the losing simply continues.

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Willy struggled with consistency most of the game (continuing the trend of the season). He's completing a bunch of short screens and quick throws. The rest of the job he is really poor at right now. He's not working his reads well, he's not hitting deep receivers and he's continually awful when a defense gets pressure.

I thought the difference in offense was quite noticeable when Nichols went in. Like, I expect any QB out there to hit all the short stuff, so Willy, Nichols or whoever should be able to handle that. Its the rest of the job that Willy is struggling with, and that's where Nichols may or may not be better. In the few minutes we saw of him, he did better than Willy. The sample size is small and so we very well could end up in the same argument in a few weeks regarding Nichols vs Willy vs Bennett. 

What I will continue to argue against is the propagation that the team has multiple issues and that QB isn't one of them. Willy is not only part of the problem, but arguably amongst the first or second issues right now. Despite falling way behind, the team actually had a chance to come back but we waited too late to get the offense moving. So we can blame rookie defensive backs or passive coaching or a terrible OL or whatever you'll continue to heap blame on, but that game was in reach despite all those factors and it was Willy that was really limiting the success of the team.

This isn't even an endorsement of Nichols, because he's generally a turnover machine and isn't great with progressions either, but at this point Willy has shown himself to be a subpar QB and until we get better play at QB then this team isn't going anywhere.

Did he really look better thoug? He had the same problems connecting on the deep balls because our receivers can't get separation downfield, he had no help from the running game, he got hit and sacked and rushed too, you know what the big advantage Nichols had was? He got to play in 3 down football territory. Give Willy an extra down at a few points in the game maybe we have a different opinion of his game too. I will agree that Nichols came in with more confidence, but that always happens when a backup goes in midgame. We saw the team with Nichols last year, it's not different. People are just holding out hope that the easy change fixes everything.