Where Does Willy rank?

Drew Willy's rank as a starter  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Willy's rank as a starter

• Lower

Comparing Drew Willy RIGHT NOW to the other active CFL QBs who have started a game either this season or last (not factoring in any current injuries):

BC - Jennings and Lulay

Cal - Mitchell and Tate

Edm - Reilly

Sask - Durant

Wpg - Nicholls

Ham - Masoli and Collaros

Tor - Ray

Ott - Burris and Harris

Mtl - Glenn

where would you rank him as a starter from 1-14 in a nine-team league?

JUSTIN DUNK's take...

Find out what showings produced moves on the Quarterback Index.

1) MIKE REILLY
EDMONTON ESKIMOS
(LAST WEEK: 1)

The bye week gave Reilly and the Eskimos lots of time to recover from any training camp fatigue and extra time to prepare for the return of Chris Jones to Edmonton.

2) BO LEVI MITCHELL
CALGARY STAMPEDERS
(LAST WEEK: 2)

That’s more like the No. 19 we’re used to seeing. Calgary’s franchise pivot guided the offence to 36 points in three quarters against Winnipeg, throwing for 309 yards and two touchdowns.

3) DARIAN DURANT
SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS
(LAST WEEK: 4)

More than a year after suffering a torn Achilles, Durant took the field in a regular season game and looked sharp, especially when you consider that he’s in a new offence too. The 33-year-old threw the ball with authority and moved around well when needed.

4) TREVOR HARRIS
OTTAWA REDBLACKS
(LAST WEEK: 6)

Just like everyone thought: after two weeks in the 2016 season Harris leads the CFL in passing yards and touchdown throws. Remember, he was supposed to be on the sidelines watching Henry Burris run the offence.

5) KEVIN GLENN
MONTREAL ALOUETTES
(LAST WEEK: 5)

Montreal lost S.J. Green in the second quarter and Duron Carter in the third, which took the two best receivers out of the equation against Ottawa. Green’s done for the season with a shredded knee and Carter could miss some time if a suspension is handed down. Those happenings are big blows to Glenn and the Als passing attack.

6) RICKY RAY
TORONTO ARGONAUTS
(LAST WEEK: 7)

It seems as though Ray is easing into the season. He only completed 13 passes in Riderville as part of Toronto’s victory. Vintage Ray has yet to appear.

7) JONATHON JENNINGS
BC LIONS
(LAST WEEK: 8)

In windy conditions at Tim Hortons Field, Jennings stayed calm, made some plays and never forced a throw. That led to an impressive road win in a hostile environment and against a stingy Ticat defence.

8) DREW WILLY
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
(LAST WEEK: 9)

When the game has been on the line in two starts to begin the campaign there has been little sign of Willy. Conversely when the outcome has been all but decided he’s racked up some yards – that cannot continue to happen. It’s time for Willy to prove to us that he’s capable of being a legitimate starter.

9) JEREMIAH MASOLI
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS
(LAST WEEK: 10)

Hamilton’s current No. 1 signal caller was erratic and made a costly mistake on the Ticats’ initial drive in the third quarter that allowed BC to take control of the game.

10) TRAVIS LULAY
BC LIONS
(LAST WEEK: 11)

Lulay’s acceptance of a mentor roll – while also competing – with Jonathon Jennings has been integral to BC’s 2-0 start. They’re constantly communicating on the sidelines and it’s clearly benefited the entire Lions team.

Edited by TBURGESS

People should go watch that Calgary game again. Willy was not the problem. He may not have put the team on his back and dragged them along but he was pretty accurate all things considered. Had some drops, some offensive line dog ******* and yes some misses but bo levi mitchell missed some too. His team helped him more.

You also don't win with a defense that doesn't force the opposing team into it's 2nd punt until the 4th quarter. 

Seriously if the defense didn't collectively crap their pants so hard you would all have a different opinion of the offense. Hell Adams doesn't have a blatant drop on a first down on the first drive who knows what might have happened because Willy was hitting everything until that point and then 2nd and long gave this team fits all night, which happens to every god damned team in the CFL. Bombers D just didn't force the stamps into many 2nd and longs. 

Edited by 17to85

You have to rate QB's by how they perform when the game matters. Willy has generated about 100 yards passing for the first 3 quarters of both games.  That's dismal.  And no, he wasn't under a constant rush.  

How a guy who probably hasn't won 15 games in the CFL and has lost far more has a $400,000 contract is beyond me.  I was all set to cheer for the guy when we got him.  Sure he was our third choice after Collaros and Burress, but big deal.  But he simply has not developed.   He doesn't seem to see the field all that well and if you put any sort of pass rush on him he's in real trouble.  Right now he's the worst starting QB in the league...despite all the cheap 4th quarter passing yards he's gotten when the other team rushes only 3 guys and gives him and the receivers all sorts of time.   I'll be the first to congratulate him if he can turn things around.  But other than a few games after he first joined the Bombers, he has been decidedly sub-par.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

People should go watch that Calgary game again. Willy was not the problem. He may not have put the team on his back and dragged them along but he was pretty accurate all things considered. Had some drops, some offensive line dog ******* and yes some misses but bo levi mitchell missed some too. His team helped him more.

Willy has two games where through 3 quarters he has generated about 100 total yards, with 4 points and 7 points respectively with a FG coming on a 58 yarder and a TD coming off being set up inside the 5 off a blocked FG and he's not the problem? Seriously, explain this because honestly you sound full of it.

10 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Willy has two games where through 3 quarters he has generated about 100 total yards, with 4 points and 7 points respectively with a FG coming on a 58 yarder and a TD coming off being set up inside the 5 off a blocked FG and he's not the problem? Seriously, explain this because honestly you sound full of it.

But could have had 6 more points vs. the stamps in the first half but they faked a fg early and botched the clock at the end. I am telling you Willy was not that bad but the team wasn't good. Especially the defense 

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But could have had 6 more points vs. the stamps in the first half but they faked a fg early and botched the clock at the end. I am telling you Willy was not that bad but the team wasn't good. Especially the defense 

See I feel both Willy and the team were bad.

26 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

See I feel both Willy and the team were bad.

Against Montreal I would agree that Willy was bad, he was very inaccurate, but against Calgary he was getting the ball where it needed to go most of the time. There were a lot of drops in that game that ended drives and there were too many times when they handed the ball off and lost yards. Then when the D isn't getting off the field and letting the stamps march for points every series you don't get a chance to go back on the field. I am not trying to say it was a great performance or anything, but Willy is taking a lot of undeserved crap after that game because of the historical problems this team has had and because he was poor in week 1. 

A lot of people blame O'Shea for that 12 second - no FG fiasco last Friday. But Willy was on the field. He should know the ins and outs of all the plays at his command. To pump and then throw to Harris with time running out showed panic, and it's not the first time. I know of no other starter who would have faltered in this manner.

That is why Willy has fallen out of the CFL top ten QBs who are, or should be starters. 

He has no escapability, no sense in his running ability, no 'radar' for pocket protection and only recognizes 'it's too late' - when it's too late. Definitely no clock management skills.

Can Willy break off the shackles of mediocrity? We have to hope that he can, and that he will. He is the one that has to do it. Every other starting QB has faced some kind of adversity and bounced back. It really is early in the year, but we gotta see some signs...other than the 4th quarter pitch and catches.

33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Against Montreal I would agree that Willy was bad, he was very inaccurate, but against Calgary he was getting the ball where it needed to go most of the time. There were a lot of drops in that game that ended drives and there were too many times when they handed the ball off and lost yards. Then when the D isn't getting off the field and letting the stamps march for points every series you don't get a chance to go back on the field. I am not trying to say it was a great performance or anything, but Willy is taking a lot of undeserved crap after that game because of the historical problems this team has had and because he was poor in week 1. 

He was failing to make the long and medium long throws all game. He doesn't know when to throw the ball away. He has no sense of the clock.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Could have been 7 points in the first quarter if the ref hadn't botched the TD Harris scored.  I can't believe they let that one go when the ball clearly passed broke past the line in the endzone.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

He was failing to make the long and medium long throws all game. He doesn't know when to throw the ball away. He has no sense of the clock.

He only tried like 2 long throws all game, one to Smith who was covered the whole way and another to Davis where it looked to me like there was miscommunication between qb and receiver. Willy threw it deeper and Davis cut his route shorter, was much more obvious from the stands than from the angle the TV had. Other than that he threw everything short or medium and the medium throws he was fine at. Again, Mitchell missed some throws too and he also got some grade A catches out of his receivers that Willy just wasn't getting either. That one handed grab that they marked at the 1 was just ridiculous and there was another touchdown catch that wasn't a great throw but the receiver turned into gold. I can remember like 1 catch from Adams that the receiver really helped out the qb. But then Adams also had at least one blatant drop too. This team is just not good enough consistently to start blaming the qb all the time.