Where Does Willy rank?

Drew Willy's rank as a starter  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Willy's rank as a starter

• Lower

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

except that it's not Willy v Masoli. It's Willy vs Ham D and Masoli vs Wpg D.....

God we need to have a scrimmage sometime on TV just so that Willy can get the same benefit other qbs have gotten. He lights up the Bombers no pressure soft zone D people would proclaim him the best. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He only tried like 2 long throws all game, one to Smith who was covered the whole way and another to Davis where it looked to me like there was miscommunication between qb and receiver. Willy threw it deeper and Davis cut his route shorter, was much more obvious from the stands than from the angle the TV had. Other than that he threw everything short or medium and the medium throws he was fine at. Again, Mitchell missed some throws too and he also got some grade A catches out of his receivers that Willy just wasn't getting either. That one handed grab that they marked at the 1 was just ridiculous and there was another touchdown catch that wasn't a great throw but the receiver turned into gold. I can remember like 1 catch from Adams that the receiver really helped out the qb. But then Adams also had at least one blatant drop too. This team is just not good enough consistently to start blaming the qb all the time. 

Seriously are you his Dad? Willy has been awful in the first three quarters of both games. Takes too long, inaccurate throws, no clock management, limited mobility. Do you realize how hard it is to have back to back games in the CFL where you have led an offense to roughly 100 yards through 3 quarters. Willy is getting grief from the fans because he's played poorly. Do you want to keep paying him $400,000 a year if this continues? I don't.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Seriously are you his Dad? Willy has been awful in the first three quarters of both games. Takes too long, inaccurate throws, no clock management, limited mobility. Do you realize how hard it is to have back to back games in the CFL where you have led an offense to roughly 100 yards through 3 quarters. Willy is getting grief from the fans because he's played poorly. Do you want to keep paying him $400,000 a year if this continues? I don't.

I am trying to provide some balance to the piling on that is going on. I agreed that Willy played a stinker against Montreal, but sitting in the stands in Calgary I felt Willy wasn't the main problem for the offense and then I re-watched the game broadcast yesterday afternoon and came away more impressed with Willy. Go ahead, watch the game again and see if you still throw it all on Willy. Go through it drive by drive and you can see what happened. The first drive was going great until Adams dropped a pass that he had no business dropping. The pass on 2nd down missed Adams and they did the fake field goal. The next drive they went deep to Smith on first down but he was double covered and was never catching the pass anyway because he couldn't shake the coverage, then Harris dropped the pass on 2nd down. The next drive They handed off on first down and the run lost yards, willy was pressured on the throw and Smith went out of bounds on the catch a couple yards short on 2nd down. Then they had the recovery after the blocked kick and just pushed the pile into the endzone for the touchdown. You had one in the first half where Willy completed a pass on first down for about 7 yards but the hand off on 2nd down was stuffed. 

The second half started off with a handoff that got nothing and then Willy scrambled on 2nd and wound up a couple yards short. The next one was a pass batted down at the line because no one was blocking the lineman and then Harris dropped the 2nd down pass. Next drive Willy was sacked on a blitz and the 2nd down play was a short pass to Harris. 

So where in all that is Drew Willy the main problem? I see OL problems, I see receiver problems, yes there were some missed throws in there too but Willy wasn't the only guy out there failing to make things happen. 

I sometimes wonder if there's just a giant troll job happening on me right now. After watching Willy since he came here, and his abysmal first 2 games where he only got anything accomplished in the 4th when the other team had geared down... to read some people's account of his play and his abilities is jaw dropping. I mean, I honestly am wondering if its just a case of blue goggles. Willy, unlike Pavelec, is a likable guy and we all want him to succeed. He's a polite, well spoken man who I think would be an incredible ambassador for out team and city. But I can put that aside and look at his play and see major issues. He simply doesn't have the ability to read a defense that you have to have at this level if you aren't a mobile QB. Willy isn't mobile, and, he can't get the ball out fast. That's a recipe for disaster.

It's incredibly convenient and easy to just throw ones hands up in the air and clack away on the keyboard about how bad our O line is, but that's a red herring. Put Willy behind the best offensive line in football and they'll still apply the same tactic: blitz Willy and take away his primary receiver. Done. He's shown a baffling inability to check down his receivers properly for someone who's nearly 30 and been in the league for years.

I feel like people who voted him 14th or lower are being dicks, but if you have Willy anywhere outside the 6 to 9 range you're equally trolling or kidding yourself.

Edited by White Out

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

A lot of people blame O'Shea for that 12 second - no FG fiasco last Friday. But Willy was on the field. He should know the ins and outs of all the plays at his command. To pump and then throw to Harris with time running out showed panic, and it's not the first time. I know of no other starter who would have faltered in this manner.

That is why Willy has fallen out of the CFL top ten QBs who are, or should be starters. 

He has no escapability, no sense in his running ability, no 'radar' for pocket protection and only recognizes 'it's too late' - when it's too late. Definitely no clock management skills.

Can Willy break off the shackles of mediocrity? We have to hope that he can, and that he will. He is the one that has to do it. Every other starting QB has faced some kind of adversity and bounced back. It really is early in the year, but we gotta see some signs...other than the 4th quarter pitch and catches.

Well said.  That 12 second run off at the end was on him, he wasn't not exhibiting any sort of clock management skill whatsoever.  Tom Brady would have spiked that ball if he had noticed the clock running down, as he would have known he was in field goal range.  That was a ridiculous play call to end the half.  I'd like to know who really was responsible.

Willy was our least effective QB in the preseason and it hasn't changed once the season started.  

He continues to lock in on his primary receiver and can't seem to adjust and use his other receivers.    Kevin Glenn and Henry Burris are masters of making something out of nothing.  Willy gets happy feet as soon as he sees the pocket start to break down.  

Can he be taught or is this an inane trait of a good QB?   If it's the latter.  Then the team has to start looking for a new starting QB. 

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Well said.  That 12 second run off at the end was on him, he wasn't not exhibiting any sort of clock management skill whatsoever.  Tom Brady would have spiked that ball if he had noticed the clock running down, as he would have known he was in field goal range.  That was a ridiculous play call to end the half.  I'd like to know who really was responsible.

Exactly. It's inexcusable for a 29 year old quarterback to have such poor clock managing skills. These are mistakes rookies make. Not third year starters. 

So I went back and watched the Bomber O. Yeah Adams drops one on drive one. Willy flat out misses him on a ten yard pass next play. You see a guy checking down to the rb or making 5-7 yard passes for the most part. You can see the Calgary secondary playing up on our offense and Willy couldn't even throw a 15-20 yard pass to make them pay. I stand by my earlier comments that he played poorly.

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

except that it's not Willy v Masoli. It's Willy vs Ham D and Masoli vs Wpg D.....

Rubbish, if Montreal and Calgary had to play their backup qb's instead of Glenn and BLM against the Bombers the last 2 games their odds of winning would have dropped substantially.

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That's a good question.  The official marking the ball clearly put his arms towards the field, meaning the play was ruled in bounds.  With the clock starting at the whistle and only 12 seconds left you should immediately bring on the FG team.  That decision is all on O'Shea.  But when O'Shea didn't do that, Willy should have known immediately that he couldn't waste a bunch of time in the pocket to throw a 3 yard pass.  Both of them get an F for clock awareness and being alert.  But O'Shea's the bigger culprit because he's not receiving and calling plays.  Pretty much his sole job at that time is to watch the clock and to know when to send the FG unit onto the field.  Didn't a similar clock mismanagement issue happen in Calgary last year that cost us a win?  If so, there was even more reason for them to be alert.   

bad coaching bad execution bad clock management and bad game awareness - some on the coach most on the QB but I will give you the D did not play well at all. Willy is the the QB everyone thought he was in Sask. He has yet over three years to show or prove he can consistently move this team. Why even last year at the beginning of the season when he couldn't do anything and the third string QB forgot his name but the young guy, there seemed to be more enthusiasm from everyone. They moved the ball he ran with it and made some good throws downfield. He didn't turn out in the end and frankly neither has Willy. We will see Thursday.

48 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

bad coaching bad execution bad clock management and bad game awareness - some on the coach most on the QB but I will give you the D did not play well at all. Willy is the the QB everyone thought he was in Sask. He has yet over three years to show or prove he can consistently move this team. Why even last year at the beginning of the season when he couldn't do anything and the third string QB forgot his name but the young guy, there seemed to be more enthusiasm from everyone. They moved the ball he ran with it and made some good throws downfield. He didn't turn out in the end and frankly neither has Willy. We will see Thursday.

marve

On 5 July, 2016 at 2:06 PM, White Out said:

I sometimes wonder if there's just a giant troll job happening on me right now. After watching Willy since he came here, and his abysmal first 2 games where he only got anything accomplished in the 4th when the other team had geared down... to read some people's account of his play and his abilities is jaw dropping. I mean, I honestly am wondering if its just a case of blue goggles. Willy, unlike Pavelec, is a likable guy and we all want him to succeed. He's a polite, well spoken man who I think would be an incredible ambassador for out team and city. But I can put that aside and look at his play and see major issues. He simply doesn't have the ability to read a defense that you have to have at this level if you aren't a mobile QB. Willy isn't mobile, and, he can't get the ball out fast. That's a recipe for disaster.

It's incredibly convenient and easy to just throw ones hands up in the air and clack away on the keyboard about how bad our O line is, but that's a red herring. Put Willy behind the best offensive line in football and they'll still apply the same tactic: blitz Willy and take away his primary receiver. Done. He's shown a baffling inability to check down his receivers properly for someone who's nearly 30 and been in the league for years.

I feel like people who voted him 14th or lower are being dicks, but if you have Willy anywhere outside the 6 to 9 range you're equally trolling or kidding yourself.

That sounds about right, but feasibly 10th best. I figure in the West, Mitchell and Reilly clearly ahead, In the East, Collaros, Ray, both Burris and Harris right now are definitely ahead. Jennings I'm not sold on long term, but hard to say right now he's not on par given early results. Lulay may be better, but with all his injury troubles haven't seen enough of him lately to say yes. Durant could be better than him, but who knows where he is after his injury last year. Tate when he last played as a starter regularly was better than Willy is now, but it's been so long kind of  hard comparison now. Glenn is better today, but let's see tomorrow, probably won't be. His competency changes like the weather. And I still put Willy ahead of Masoli - we'll see if that changes after July 7. But it is quite telling that in a nine team league he might rank 10th or worse, especially when so many QBs changed teams so recently and Winnipeg has missed so many opportunities to land any of them. How was Harris such a quiet free agent signing after 33 TD passes last year?