VIsa Troubles For Mulamba

iso_55

Why do Canadians have to be so sacrosanct? If the big money is there no Canadian player is going to turn down the NFL. What I don't like about Neg Lists is that's it's a throwback to the seventies & everything is all done in secret. What's to hide? Other CFL teams know the others' Neg Lists.

A draft is for all to see therefore it's transparent. As far as the Bombers go, for all we know we may have either Carson Wentz or Jason Goff on our Neg List. What's the difference having a high profile player on a Neg List or to draft him as chances are he'll never play up here anyway. My take on the CFL Draft is if a third of the top picks leave for the NFL then why bother having one? All they become are wasted picks. Mulamba was a wasted pick. Four years & he may never come here. I still say open the draft to all players regardless of nationality. The ratio can stay the same but can the Neg Lists.

Edited by iso_55

9 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

As far as the Bombers go, for all we know we may have either Carson Wentz or Jason Goff on our Neg List. 

Jared* Goff... but otherwise you make a good point that I think most would agree with... the neg lists need to be public... there's no advantage to the teams or the players keeping these secret...

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

What I don't like about Neg Lists is that's it's a throwback to the seventies & everything is all done in secret. What's to hide? Other CFL teams know the others' Neg Lists.

The reason they keep them secret is so that fans don't go full ***** when names are added or dropped. Like Ermagerhd! Y U NO SIGN THIS GUY?!?

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

... if a third of the top picks leave for the NFL then why bother having one? All they become are wasted picks. Mulamba was a wasted pick. Four years & he may never come here. I still say open the draft to all players regardless of nationality. The ratio can stay the same but can the Neg Lists.

So you believe that opening the Canadian draft to include American's will mean less draft picks lost to the NFL?

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The reason they keep them secret is so that fans don't go full ***** when names are added or dropped. Like Ermagerhd! Y U NO SIGN THIS GUY?!?

Just like Ron Lancaster said a decade ago, the reason CFL teams don't draft Canadian qbs is that there'd be too much pressure from fans who would want to see them play. That's the kind of backward thinking that keeps the CFL stuck in the mud in a lot of ways.

41 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

So you believe that opening the Canadian draft to include American's will mean less draft picks lost to the NFL?

I think having a draft where only Canadians are selected & then never play for the CFL team they are chosen by is a waste of time so go full out draft.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

I think having a draft where only Canadians are selected & then never play for the CFL team they are chosen by is a waste of time so go full out draft.

And that's different from every other league where draft picks show up but get cut before opening day?  Only the hard core fans ever even know their names.  The fact remains that the "NFL possible" picks are a gamble on the future JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PICK.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

And that's different from every other league where draft picks show up but get cut before opening day?  Only the hard core fans ever even know their names.  The fact remains that the "NFL possible" picks are a gamble on the future JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PICK.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

Well, so... ? At least they're at camp competing.

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Just like Ron Lancaster said a decade ago, the reason CFL teams don't draft Canadian qbs is that there'd be too much pressure from fans who would want to see them play.

So giving the paying customer what they want to see is bad business?  You've just pointed out why there needs to be a protected spot on the roster for a developmental Canuck QB. Then we can draft some and have no worry they sign in the NFL first.

The failure to draft & develop Canadian qbs that have the talent to perhaps one day start, getting rid of the Neg List & an open draft are three things I'd consider if I was Commissioner instead of just rebranding the CFL with a lame & dull logo.  Just to clarify the Canadian qb situation, not every CIS qb has the ability to play in the CFL. Maybe one from the CIS every 2 or 3 years does.  So a rule change at the qb position by the CFL doesn't mean that every team would draft a CIS qb every season. The ones that truly have potential & the skills to pla y at the CFL level are the guys hurt by what the league does as they have no chance at all the way things are now.

Edited by iso_55

On 4/4/2016 at 11:40 PM, iso_55 said:

The system we have now has to be changed. Mulamba was drafted in 2012 & we still haven't seen him. It's a waste of a pick.

we gambled on him knowing like every one else that he was going to get a good look in the nfl. We may have lost on the gamble. You cant fault the rules for taking a high risk pick and losing. 

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

we gambled on him knowing like every one else that he was going to get a good look in the nfl. We may have lost on the gamble. You cant fault the rules for taking a high risk pick and losing. 

I understand. For the sake of discussion, I believe there are things that can be done that need change. Fun to debate the subject.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:50 AM, wbbfan said:

..and thats the thing.. its still a "may" he could flame out this pre-season for all we know and be lining up beside westermann by august.  Sometimes you need to take a gamble on players who are capable of dominating our game even if it takes them 3-4 seasons to fall thru the cracks..

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

..and thats the thing.. its still a "may" he could flame out this pre-season for all we know and be lining up beside westermann by august.  Sometimes you need to take a gamble on players who are capable of dominating our game even if it takes them 3-4 seasons to fall thru the cracks..

Yeah thats true. I think once you get out of the top couple picks gambles on ratio breakers can really be worth it. In the case of mulumba, i think taking that kind of risk wasnt a great idea.  Hes a lber, but at his size he could easily be a DE in the cfl. Bilukidi i think has a better chance of ending up down here. And taking that risk in iirc the 2nd round is a good gamble. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah thats true. I think once you get out of the top couple picks gambles on ratio breakers can really be worth it. In the case of mulumba, i think taking that kind of risk wasnt a great idea.  Hes a lber, but at his size he could easily be a DE in the cfl. Bilukidi i think has a better chance of ending up down here. And taking that risk in iirc the 2nd round is a good gamble. 

Bilukidi was a 4th rounder.

FYI - Mulumba is a linebacker, but he primarily fills the same role down there. Pass rushing. Just different in name.

FWIW, Doug Brown was selected 5th overall in 1997.  In 2000, the Stamps traded his rights to the Bombers.  He signed with the Bombers and started playing in the CFL in 2001, at the age of 26 (turning 27 in Sept).

Andy Mulumba was drafted 2nd in 2013 draft.  He is currently 26, unsigned in the NFL, and the Bombers still own his rights.

I see a parallel here...

2 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

FWIW, Doug Brown was selected 5th overall in 1997.  In 2000, the Stamps traded his rights to the Bombers.  He signed with the Bombers and started playing in the CFL in 2001, at the age of 26 (turning 27 in Sept).

Andy Mulumba was drafted 2nd in 2013 draft.  He is currently 26, unsigned in the NFL, and the Bombers still own his rights.

I see a parallel here...

trade him to Calgary for a roll of tape and a jock strap! 

3 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

I see a parallel here...

Mulumba signed with the Chiefs last week.

18 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

And this is year 4 in the NFL, which is the last year that Doug Brown tried the NFL career thing.

Doug browns departure from the nfl didnt have to do with years. He posted a list of players on his team with criminal convictions in the locker room and was cut just shy of his pension. If he hadnt of done that he may never have ended up in the cfl.

Mike is right i brain farted and it was 4th round not 2nd. And while rushing from a stand up position is a good bit different from lining up over a tackle its not exactly the hardest position switch in football. I wouldnt expect a westerman level of adjustment though.

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Doug browns departure from the nfl didnt have to do with years. He posted a list of players on his team with criminal convictions in the locker room and was cut just shy of his pension. If he hadnt of done that he may never have ended up in the cfl.

Every player will have a moment that signifies the end of the road with a team.  Pension, salary, age, and change of coaches spell the end for many NFL players.  I wonder what will be Mulumba's.  Or Bilukudi's.

Just now, ALuCsRED said:

Every player will have a moment that signifies the end of the road with a team.  Pension, salary, age, and change of coaches spell the end for many NFL players.  I wonder what will be Mulumba's.  Or Bilukudi's.

for guys whove made it as vets for depth its rarer for them to fall through the cracks. I can see mulumba evolving into a ST pro. Bilukudi is an intensely gifted athlete.  But he isnt getting younger and that potential loses value every year with a new crop of gifted young guys trying to make it. For him I imagine he's only looking at 2 more TCs if he doesnt show he can atleast be a Ster. A lot of people dont recognize that if a guy wants to hustle and be the guy that breaks up the wedge on teams you can have a career in the nfl for as long as you want/ hold up.