Irving says...

NotoriousBIG

As Brice said, if true this team doesn't learn. I can see a very negative reaction from everyone if that's all Miller comes up with. We didn't suffer thru this season just to have Miller give the job to his buddy because he likes him. Fans want real change. Substantive change. Someone who knows the CFL, has contacts in the US & CIS but knows what it takes to win in the CFL. But sigh, I said it once, I'll say it again.... rewarding friends & losing is The Bomber Way.

As Brice said, if true this team doesn't learn. I can see a very negative reaction from everyone if that's all Miller comes up with. We didn't suffer thru this season just to have Miller give the job to his buddy because he likes him. Fans want real change. Substantive change. Someone who knows the CFL, has contacts in the US & CIS but knows what it takes to win in the CFL. But sigh, I said it once, I'll say it again.... rewarding friends & losing is The Bomber Way.

Since when are Kyle Walters and Wade Miller buddies?

What I want to see them do is their due diligence, and then hire the best qualified applicant - period. I don't care if he was already here (Walters/Taman), or has decades+ years of GM experience (Higgins), or has no CFL GM experience at all (O'Day/McEvoy). Find the guy who shares the vision and mission statement, and most importantly, the 'execution philosophy' that the rest of the franchise has. While the above may be true, this franchise also has a history of overreacting the other way as well, making extreme sweeping changes just because the fans wanted blood. That's how we end up cutting Glenn for nothing and still not having any real succession plan. The need to hire "the opposite of what we had" was what prompted them to hire Jeff Reinbold after they fired Cal Murphy. Get the best guy, not the Anti-Mack.

I don't mind them giving him a 1 year tryout if there aren't any spectactular GM's available this offseason.

I would rather them keep Walters in as GM then have them hire another Kelly.

One year tryout? Sure, he'll get that & a two year $600,000 paid vacation after that. This organization's been there. Done that.

They work together. if he hires him because "he likes him a lot" they're buddies. If no due dilligence is done how else can you describe it?

They work together. if he hires him because "he likes him a lot" they're buddies. If no due dilligence is done how else can you describe it?

Too many assumptions, just shoving the next iron in the fire.  Miller isn't even anything more than interim yet.  I don't know where buddies comes from, are you assuming all ready that Miller is unprofessional?  We don't even know that Miller is making that decision.  Walters is still contracted for next season as assistant general manager, perhaps Miller is just referring to Walters as being left in the personnel department as this transition takes place?

I think Miller will stay & then hire his own GM. I'm all for Kyle staying with the team as an AGM. I'm all for Miller staying team president as well if he does the proper job search & due dilligence. Hire the best man for the job. That's all I want. Walters isn't ready yet. This has been discussed a lot here. I think the general consensus is that Walters is a bright  young guy who needs to work under someone successful to learn the GM position. If he gives the position to Walters instead of someone like Tom Higgins (if he applies) or someone else with proven CFL GM credntials then you know what's up.

I think Miller will stay & then hire his own GM. I'm all for Kyle staying with the team as an AGM. I'm all for Miller staying team president as well if he does the proper job search & due dilligence. Hire the best man for the job. That's all I want. Walters isn't ready yet. This has been discussed a lot here. I think the general consensus is that Walters is a bright  young guy who needs to work under someone successful to learn the GM position. If he gives the position to Walters instead of someone like Tom Higgins (if he applies) or someone else with proven CFL GM credntials then you know what's up.

Really what this boils down to, Iso, is that you don't want the best man for the job. You want the guy YOU think is best.

I don't mind them giving him a 1 year tryout if there aren't any spectactular GM's available this offseason.

One year tryout? Sure, he'll get that & a two year $600,000 paid vacation after that. This organization's been there. Done that.

Not saying sign him for 3 years, saying give him a 1 year tryout contract unless we can find a STAR candidate for GM this offseason (Basically unless we get a Higgins/Hufnagel/Buono/Popp level of GM I would rather us keep Walters for a year and see how well he does)

Not saying sign him for 3 years, saying give him a 1 year tryout contract unless we can find a STAR candidate for GM this offseason (Basically unless we get a Higgins/Hufnagel/Buono/Popp level of GM I would rather us keep Walters for a year and see how well he does)

The only way you get anyone worth their salt to take the GM job in Winnipeg is A) you throw a tonne of cash at them AND B ) give them term.  Nobody in their right mind is going to uproot their lives and come here given the mess this team is in unless you make it worth their while.  Serious candidates will simply laugh at a "prove it" deal.

The only way you get anyone worth their salt to take the GM job in Winnipeg is A) you throw a tonne of cash at them AND B ) give them term.  Nobody in their right mind is going to uproot their lives and come here given the mess this team is in unless you make it worth their while.  Serious candidates will simply laugh at a "prove it" deal.

Emphasis added to ensure clarity since it apparently wasn't obvious that I wasn't saying to try and sign a star candidate to a 1 year contract

Emphasis added to ensure clarity since it apparently wasn't obvious that I wasn't saying to try and sign a star candidate to a 1 year contract

Doesn't just have to be a star candidate .. if you are offering ANYONE a deal to come to Winnipeg .. you're going to have to give them cash and term.  Plain and simple. 

Doesn't just have to be a star candidate .. if you are offering ANYONE a deal to come to Winnipeg .. you're going to have to give them cash and term.  Plain and simple. 

But I don't want us to hire just anyone... unless they are a star (and therefore worth offering cash and a term) I would rather ask Walters to stick around on a tryout style contract.

He might say no, but it would be a good opportunity for him to get shot at GM much earlier in his career than he might otherwise get that shot and that (at least for me) for make it worth taking a short contract (it's not like he would be uprooting to come here)

He won't sign a 1 year deal. No one will come in here to "tryout" for a year. It'll be a 3 year deal no matter who they sign. Still want him?